Travel Between N Ireland and Ireland - Covid19

Swango1980

Visit site
Long shot this, but on the off chance trying to find out what the situation is regarding travel, as I'm finding it difficult to find using Google.

I live in England. I was due to go to a stag weekend in N Ireland on 23rd July. However, in their wisdom, they've decided to travel over to Letterkenny for the weekend (just across the border in Ireland).

Now, from a UK perspective, travelling to Ireland seems OK. However, from Ireland's perspective, Great Britain is still on their effective red list. So, although residents of N Ireland can travel across the border, if a person has come across first come from Britain (Scotland, England or Wales) and then travels to Ireland via N Ireland, it appears they must isolate for 14 days. So, that would effectively rule me out from going. So, wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation, or knows:

1. Any idea how long these restrictions may last (despite these things changing all the time)
  2. How it is being policed

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
You need a negative test verified before you go and you need to quarantine when there for sure. My friend went back to visit family recently and she had to do the above. In theory they could just show up to make sure that you’re at the quarantine address but how often they do it, I don’t know.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Letterkenny is a hole and best avoided to be honest, especially on a Saturday night, far better off staying in the north either Belfast or Derry.

Pubs & restaurants in the south are at minute outside dining/drinking only which is due to change 5th July I believe but no guarantee that’ll happen.

As you say there are no travel restrictions coming from north over the border but no idea what the story is if you travelling from England initially.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Letterkenny is a hole and best avoided to be honest, especially on a Saturday night, far better off staying in the north either Belfast or Derry.

Pubs & restaurants in the south are at minute outside dining/drinking only which is due to change 5th July I believe but no guarantee that’ll happen.

As you say there are no travel restrictions coming from north over the border but no idea what the story is if you travelling from England initially.

You will be asked to complete a form stating all countries you have been in for last 10 days, so GB will trigger a self-isolation requirement.

Swango1980

Visit site
Cheers all. Well, I've been to Letterkenny once and I didn't like it much anyway. I nearly got punched, but to be fair that was because I was dressed as Mario and the guy didn't like the outfit. He said he was more a fan of Luigi