Travel Abroad

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been against it from the get go, think it's putting unnecessary risk until maybe 2022 when we know what the vaccine and other countries true states are

That's been debated to death really and many don't agree with my point which is fine

What does get my goat is anyone who complains when it changes and they either lose out or get stuck.. you knew the risk

It's almost like speeding.. people speed (wrongly ofc) get away with it nothing happens. But don't complain if your caught

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been abroad twice for work since the new system came in, both times to amber countries, and to be honest I wouldn't bother going for a holiday with all the hoops you have to jump through. To join my current project I had a 100 mile round trip to get a PCR test as there was nothing closer. Had to have letters from my employers stating that my trip was essential. I then travelled out by Eurostar to Amsterdam and had to stay in a hotel for 4 nights. Had to take another PCR test before joining the vessel. At the end of the job (if I can't convince them to drop me off in the UK before they go back to Netherlands) I'll have to get another PCR test before I travel back and then take rapid tests on days 2, 5 and 8 when I get home. Fortunately I'm exempt from having to isolate when I get back so at least I don't have to suffer being stuck in the house for 10 days.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not booking anything until we are pretty much back to normal. I tend to go long haul and so I am not going to spent 9 hours plus on a plane wearing a mask. Add to that the fact that many hotel facilities are shut as they can only run at limited capacity and that is a no from me. Would like a short trip to Europe but the risk of last minute changes are clear and obvious so will avoid the whole holiday thing until the situation is much clearer.

My concern is not just the relative safety of me travelling and the safety of the destination but also which other countries are allowed to holiday there and what the risk is of them bringing something in with them. I am on a few groups for resorts in the carribean and posts about people testing positive on arrival and being quarantined or testing positive on departure and not being allowed to board a flight are being deleted off pretty quickly, as well as those that suggest that the tests being carried out on departure are not being carried out that rigorously, I have seen it described as waving a swab within 10 feet of your face.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We changed our annual Portugal golf week from Sept 2020 to Sept 2021. Unfortunately I can see another change to Sept 2022 coming up. Quite a few of our group would only be able to go if its clearly green with no realistic likelihood of change. I can see it being green again by September, but I can't see it being a virtually certain, totally stable green.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
We’re not flying anywhere this year but may drive back to the U.K. via Eurotunnel in November. The prospect of going through an airport terminal with thousands of people from around the world sounds a bit too risky for me.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We’re not flying anywhere this year but may drive back to the U.K. via Eurotunnel in November. The prospect of going through an airport terminal with thousands of people from around the world sounds a bit too risky for me.
Yes it’s the airport that puts me off.
Scotland for me my aunt lives in Dalkeith so just hope the weather is ok August.

D-S

Visit site
From where I play golf you can usually see planes on their way from or to Bristol Airport and also high in the air en route to the London airports, however in a cloudless blue sky today a playing partner noted the lack of any planes or vapour trails - we all commented that we hadn’t seen any for a long time. Not been to an airport since COVID but if the skies are anything to go by they must be fairly empty places certainly those with a high proportion of holiday flights).

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
There's an opportunity for our stay at home holiday industry.
But they need to price things reasonably and don't try and rip us off .

Roads have been awful the last two Fridays, last week 4 hours to get home from Manchester (usually 2 and a half) today 4 and a half hours to get home from Barnsley (usually under 2).
It's great for the British tourist industry but awful for my mental health ?

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Still got our week in Rhodes booked in October. I still feel things will be a lot easier by then. Our population will be pretty much fully vacc'd by then, Greece have started doing their islands first to get the tourism kick started so they should all be pretty much done. Other island destinations ike te Canaries and Balearics should be in the same boat. The government will have very few excuses to prevent travel by the autumn imo

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

Too late for that. The prices are already comical.

But once things are back to as normal as they will get. People will remember and be back of to Spain and Greece.

Having just been to Cornwall for a week. I for one cannot wait to go to Greece next year. It takes about as long to get there, the weather is better and I don't feel like I'm being ripped off for every penny whilst I'm there.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

Spot on.

I absolutely get the fact that British owners and operators need to recoup some of the money lost over the last eighteen months, but they also need to balance that with not ripping off consumers, many of whom have also had it tough themselves.

We’ve booked a cottage in Devon for a fortnight in July. Nothing special, quite remote from the nearest village or town, but eye watering in price. Probably a grand more expensive than it would normally be, if not more.

I’ve paid it because we are desperate for a holiday, especially as it’s the last family holiday we’re likely to have with kids who are nearly ready to fly the nest. But I did so with a sour taste because I know I’m paying way over the odds.

From a personal perspective the operator has lost me as a future client because I will remember this year, and I will not give them my business again. And if others are like me, any gains made in rip-off Britain will be short lived, as we seek alternatives in the event we ever return to anything approaching normality.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Its a no from me, probably 2023.

No hurdles, hoops, barriers, faffing, tests, masks or bikinis for me on a what would be an overpriced holiday.