Travel Abroad

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Too late for that. The prices are already comical.

But once things are back to as normal as they will get. People will remember and be back of to Spain and Greece.

Having just been to Cornwall for a week. I for one cannot wait to go to Greece next year. It takes about as long to get there, the weather is better and I don't feel like I'm being ripped off for every penny whilst I'm there.

And you and most would have been back off to Spain or Greece anyway so why shouldnt they make hay whilst the sun isnt shining?

Plenty who wouldnt be seen "dead" holidaying in England usually suddenly want to be able to holiday in England for a year or two but even though they are the ones causing the short term increased demand dont want to pay the related increase in prices. Cant always have your cake and eat it.......

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
And you and most would have been back off to Spain or Greece anyway so why shouldnt they make hay whilst the sun isnt shining?

Plenty who wouldnt be seen "dead" holidaying in England usually suddenly want to be able to holiday in England for a year or two but even though they are the ones causing the short term increased demand dont want to pay the related increase in prices. Cant always have your cake and eat it.......

Just a touch judgemental.

We go abroad once a year. Then once, sometimes twice we go somewhere in the UK. We've not been to Spain for a good few years since we don't have an apartment there anymore.

Once this blows over we'll likely go abroad twice. And if prices go back to something sensible maybe a long weekend in the UK.

I can accept prices going up. They have for pretty much everything. But most places (resorts and restaurants etc.) in the UK are taking the urine. The place we stayed was a grand more expensive than 2 years ago for the same week. It will be £6.5k per week in the summer holidays.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just a touch judgemental.

We go abroad once a year. Then once, sometimes twice we go somewhere in the UK. We've not been to Spain for a good few years since we don't have an apartment there anymore.

Once this blows over we'll likely go abroad twice. And if prices go back to something sensible maybe a long weekend in the UK.

I can accept prices going up. They have for pretty much everything. But most places (resorts and restaurants etc.) in the UK are taking the urine. The place we stayed was a grand more expensive than 2 years ago for the same week. It will be £6.5k per week in the summer holidays.

yeah it is a bit judgemental, but theres a lot of people who never usually holiday in the uk complaining about an increase in price in a product they dont usually want, that they are increasing the demand for and thus driving up the price then moaning the price has gone up. add in the utter disrespect a lot have for the place they holiday, the places they stay and visit and the disrespect they have for people living there (or who regularly holiday there) why wouldnt places put prices up? not saying thats you but it is a large proportion of people currently and places are going to charge what they can

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
As a seasoned traveller who has had travel problems in the past ?. Would I book an holiday abroad. No. We were due to go away in October to Ypres with the Royal British Legion. It’s just not worth the risk. That was cancelled last week. I asked the tour operator “ what would you do” She said “ there’s no way I am going away this year”. I Should be in Normandy in Sept, which was put back from March which was put back from last Sept. That will be cancelled very soon.
There is that much uncertainty is it really worth the risk. Not for me. Me and Missis T have a couple of breaks in the UK planned but that’s it.

D-S

Visit site
Never quite sure why lots of people from the UK all seem to want to go to Devon and Cornwall. I was brought up there and now live in Bristol so I suppose we can pop down whenever we like, but we see people spending huge chunks of precious holiday time stuck on the M5 for hours on end to go to the busiest parts of the UK where prices, rightly, are driven by more demand than supply. The weather in these parts isn’t materially better than most of the southern half of the UK and is often wetter.
It’s a lovely part of the world don’t get me wrong but in peak holiday time it is more than irritating but folks still flock down to pay inflated prices amongst more people than the area can cope with.
We’re going to the Cotswolds next week for a few days, normally frequented by overseas visitors and as they are not around this year we have got a 25% discount in a great hotel and prices generally aren’t inflated.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not everywhere is charging inflated prices. We're going back to a house we rented in the Peak District. OK, its a bit more than last year, but that's because we're going in Summer rather than Autumn. And they've given us a discount because we're returning visitors.

gopher99

Visit site
I am not sure when I am going to make it back to Brazil, it’s not getting there that’s the issue it’s the £1750 quarantine fee on the way back. I am looking to go via a green country and stay there for 10 days, or at worst an amber country and also stay there 10 days. I have had both my jabs so surely I am less of a risk now, but I guess the risk is the country you are flying from.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
We're meant to be going to California for our honeymoon in September, but I can't see us being allowed entry.

We booked in November, when the general feel was that things were getting better... Then just over a month later we were locked down again. But by March, with both the UK and US vaccine programs going so well, we thought it was back on again. But now? I just can't see it happening - talks of travel to the US appear to have gone very quiet.

We've agreed that any required quarantining in the US makes the trip a waste of time - we're only there for a week. But a 10 day quarantine at home on the return is ok, but that hotel stuff is nonsense and we wouldn't do that.

It's a shame that my honeymoon, one of the few times where you can genuinely say 'trip of a lifetime', is shrouded in doubt, hassle, and some stress :confused: We're also on our 3rd wedding date by now, and wouldn't ever be surprised if that is put back past the honeymoon. But that sparkle of that has well and truly gone, and we're just seeing it as a box ticking exercise.

I also realise that these are massive first world problems, and feel sorry for those who have lost their loved ones, their livelihoods, etc.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Ref pricing in the U.K., whilst the operator might up the price to something we feel is a rip off, the consumer decides the market price, not the initial price. If an operator isn’t getting any bookings, the price drops but if they are inundated with bookings, the price will rise.

As painful and unfair it may be it is good business sense.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only if you can keep the business long term.

Not really .. I mean the demand has forced the price up

You won't go next year fair enough

But many will.. I doubt they will lose business

They will still be full just with diff people

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Not really .. I mean the demand has forced the price up

You won't go next year fair enough

But many will.. I doubt they will lose business

They will still be full just with diff people

In which case it will be good business sense.

Like I said. If people don't go back it won't.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

But that's the thing some people won't go back but many will

You may see people not going away at all this year because they will deem it too busy and expensive and will just wait until everything is normal and go back to going in England again whilst the abroad lot go back to their norm.

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Spot on.

I absolutely get the fact that British owners and operators need to recoup some of the money lost over the last eighteen months, but they also need to balance that with not ripping off consumers, many of whom have also had it tough themselves.

We’ve booked a cottage in Devon for a fortnight in July. Nothing special, quite remote from the nearest village or town, but eye watering in price. Probably a grand more expensive than it would normally be, if not more.

I’ve paid it because we are desperate for a holiday, especially as it’s the last family holiday we’re likely to have with kids who are nearly ready to fly the nest. But I did so with a sour taste because I know I’m paying way over the odds.

From a personal perspective the operator has lost me as a future client because I will remember this year, and I will not give them my business again. And if others are like me, any gains made in rip-off Britain will be short lived, as we seek alternatives in the event we ever return to anything approaching normality.
We were lucky as we booked two cottages in Devon over a year ago. I bet everywhere will be heaving so going to restaurants and attractions could be an issue.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
We're meant to be going to California for our honeymoon in September, but I can't see us being allowed entry.

We booked in November, when the general feel was that things were getting better... Then just over a month later we were locked down again. But by March, with both the UK and US vaccine programs going so well, we thought it was back on again. But now? I just can't see it happening - talks of travel to the US appear to have gone very quiet.

We've agreed that any required quarantining in the US makes the trip a waste of time - we're only there for a week. But a 10 day quarantine at home on the return is ok, but that hotel stuff is nonsense and we wouldn't do that.

It's a shame that my honeymoon, one of the few times where you can genuinely say 'trip of a lifetime', is shrouded in doubt, hassle, and some stress :confused: We're also on our 3rd wedding date by now, and wouldn't ever be surprised if that is put back past the honeymoon. But that sparkle of that has well and truly gone, and we're just seeing it as a box ticking exercise.

I also realise that these are massive first world problems, and feel sorry for those who have lost their loved ones, their livelihoods, etc.

Go ahead with the wedding, have a short UK honeymoon, then have a splashy trip to CA next year. San Diego is one of my favourite places to go to. Bring your clubs.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Maybe you’re missing the point. Next year’s price will match the demand. Some people will make the stand you suggest, but in reality will probably return to going abroad anyway. Others who are thinking of a staycation will see a price they’re comfortable with.