Trading the boots for the clubs...

CaptainPugwash

Visit site
Hello New member here!

I’m 30 this year and always had an interest in golf.

I play football on Saturdays but want to get into golf also with the view of playing regularly when I hang up the boots!

I’ve signed up to play a charity golf day without any clubs... yet! Or much of an early idea really. I know the basics and can hit a ball fairly clean my swing is ok from many trips to the range sporadically over the last 10 years or so.

Any tips for what clubs il need to play a full round or general tips to help me on the course ?

Thanks in advance!

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Any local ranges near you ?
Look for ones that run roll up sessions, a decent way to get started and they'll often have clubs you can borrow.

CaptainPugwash

Visit site
Yeah a few ranges nearby which I agree a few sessions there will help. With regards to clubs do you think it’s worth investing in some ? As ideally I would like to get a few rounds on the course prior to the event! And I will need some for the day anyway. Just wondering what would be a decent selection to get started with?

CaptainPugwash

Visit site
Yeah I’ve played a few pitch and putt rounds before so I’ve got a idea of the basics and will definitely look to have some practise rounds once I get some equipment I can try and get used too - there’s all sorts of kit out there and it’s hard to know what a beginner needs in the bag?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you are average height you should be ok with off the shelf second hand clubs.
You could even get away with a half set so
3 wood 3,5,7,9,SW putter
Try your local pro shops who should have a selection of second hand sets.
Explain your situation to the pro and he/she should help

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
how about trying to borrow a set?

my first ever round and hit with a club was at a Cricket charity day, was lent and old set that even had a hickory putter and wooded headed clubs, it didn't matter, i was hooked from then on.

Robin Hood

Visit site
I would buy second hand clubs to start - you should find some on Gumtree or EBay, local Pro or second hand dealers eg American Golf. Ask a mate for his advice. Or here......
If I knew then what I know now I would look for:
Driver or 3 wood - Ping, Cleveland or Ben Ross
Irons 5-SW - cavity back - Mizuno or Ping
Putter - whatever feels good.
Buy a new glove.
Balls are quite expensive - your choice whether to buy new or used. But don't buy top of the range ones like ProV. I buy good quality used ones and never have a problem (others would disagree) Srixon Marathon fly well for me.
Bag - whatever your fashion style is.
Tees - I use pink for driving and red for irons - but you need to work out which is best for you.
Shoes - Footjoy are really comfortable.
Lesson - worth the investment
Things you can't buy:
Don't take it too seriously - it's a game.
Don't get angry
Don't try to hit the ball like it's your worst enemy.
Have fun it's a great game, with some great people

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hello New member here!

I’m 30 this year and always had an interest in golf.

I play football on Saturdays but want to get into golf also with the view of playing regularly when I hang up the boots!

I’ve signed up to play a charity golf day without any clubs... yet! Or much of an early idea really. I know the basics and can hit a ball fairly clean my swing is ok from many trips to the range sporadically over the last 10 years or so.

Any tips for what clubs il need to play a full round or general tips to help me on the course ?

Thanks in advance!
Where do you live? I suspect many people on here have a few sets in the shed (I know I do) and would be happy to lend them out if you were nearby.

CaptainPugwash

Visit site
Yeah I’m 5’7 - 5’8 so standard clubs would be fine I assume ?

Yeah I think il get the bug and be a regular before long :)

Yeah il try and remember those tips if I get frustrated. After all as you say it’s a game and fun!

Thanks for the advice on kit that’s all really helpful.

Don’t suppose anyone on here has a set for sale?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
1) Most people who start golf "when boots are hung up" always wish they'd done it sooner.
2) Whereabouts in Cornwall are you... there are several Clubs I can think of who have friendly Pros who will give you the right start with equipment etc. (as a rule, decent 2nd hand is the place to start)

CaptainPugwash

Visit site
Yeah I can imagine they do. - I can see myself playing regularly in the future and regret not starting a few years back - as I imagine it takes a good few years to get to a decent standard.

I’m in Truro. Thanks and yes a 2nd hand set looks the correct way to go just to find that set!

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Chipping and putting practice and then some more , you'll hit it all over the place for a while but chipping and putting will compensate big style for tha till you've found your groove...you could always end up hitting it all over the place after 35yrs practice like many of us tho so don't forget your sense of humour!

Robin Hood

Visit site
Don't hang your boots up too early.
I was playing football and rugby at your age, then went to 5-a-side until my late forties. Then took up golf.
Wish I'd started earlier too.
Enjoy yourself.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
From memory the Pro at Truro Golf Club was a decent chap... worth a phone call, explain your requirements and see what he has in the shop.... Perranporth similarly - nice guy there - was there a few weeks back... very friendly bloke.., not that far from you?

You might get a few folk on here with stuff to shift!

CaptainPugwash

Visit site
Oh yes sense of humour is one thing I do have! Oh I won’t be hanging them up completely - il still play football but maybe not as often as I am now. Thanks for the pro advice il make contact with them soon and no perranporth is close - looks a tough course that especially on a windy day!
And I would be interested if anyone’s got any clubs or gear they would like to move on! Please let me know if anyone does 👍

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Oh yes sense of humour is one thing I do have! Oh I won’t be hanging them up completely - il still play football but maybe not as often as I am now. Thanks for the pro advice il make contact with them soon and no perranporth is close - looks a tough course that especially on a windy day!
And I would be interested if anyone’s got any clubs or gear they would like to move on! Please let me know if anyone does 👍

I've got a set of irons for sale atm, very much in the 'helpful to the beginner' category of club! I'll pm you.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I see a lot of players have forgot 20 golf balls, a selection of pink orange white red blue and small orange or lime castle tees (or you could simply buy a pack of 70mm wooden ones), a pitch mark repairer a ball marker (any coin would do) a pencil or two, a golf glove is recommended but not essential. Golf shoes make sure they are soft spikes in case the course has a rule about spiked shoes. A pair of Loudmouth trousers and an Argylle knit sweater although any Pringle jumper from the 1980/90s would suffice.