Trading the boots for the clubs...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Find a set of clubs you can borrow or pick up cheaply, hit the range, get a lesson or two and then get out and play as much as you can before the day. Don't have too many expectations, but go out and just enjoy it. Golf will always win

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the mad house ,maybe pop in and ask your local pro for a half hour lesson, i'm sure he'll have a selection of 2nd hand clubs you can use, try out and maybe even buy them.

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
Welcome to the forum! I hung the boots up not too long ago and wish I'd started this game sooner!

I'd suggest golf bidder for a good set of second hand irons. If you're starting out, can't go wrong with ping!

Play well

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree don’t hang the boots up yet.
I got injured and had to stop playing so took up golf.
I would still play now (61yrs old ) if I could,
Buying second hand is sound advice, but the local pro is good also as you need to hit them and like them.
If you see a nice set u like ask the pro “ I will have them if you throw a lesson in with them”
Bit cheeky but most will say yes.

It takes years to learn the game so just try to enjoy it.
Don’t go to your day out thinking they will all be like Rory ,belive me they won’t be.
Watch YouTube for tips and get some practice in on the short game as most who use the range just hit full shots

Robin Hood

Visit site
A box of choccies, wine and flowers for the missus.
You are going to be out for half a day, and if like mine, when we had small kids she saw it as too much of an indulgent. And she came from a big golfing family.
Now retired she encourages it 👍😀

Dannyc

Visit site
I carried on playing football till I was nearly 40 then got on with my golf I should of stopped football sooner really
I’m now totally addicted to golf and spend all my time at the course when I’m not at work

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hello New member here!

I’m 30 this year and always had an interest in golf.

I play football on Saturdays but want to get into golf also with the view of playing regularly when I hang up the boots!

I’ve signed up to play a charity golf day without any clubs... yet! Or much of an early idea really. I know the basics and can hit a ball fairly clean my swing is ok from many trips to the range sporadically over the last 10 years or so.

Any tips for what clubs il need to play a full round or general tips to help me on the course ?

Thanks in advance!

I’d buy a set of second hand irons

Something like ping g series .. as new as you can afford

G10 onwards however if you can afford newer go for it

Putter is a must

Then an easy to hit hyrbid and a 5 wood I think would be more than enough to start you off

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd always advocate a driver for a beginner, difficult to miss with a 460cc driver.

See now I’m not sure with this.. I play off 26 and everyone agrees once my driver comes in line with rest of my game I’d be off 18

Chip and putt well , irons go straight. Hybrid well. Just driver lets me down.. when I hit it well I have my best rounds

So driver for beginners I’d say highlights any swing issues

5 wood off tee goes almost as far but straighter

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
See now I’m not sure with this.. I play off 26 and everyone agrees once my driver comes in line with rest of my game I’d be off 18

Chip and putt well , irons go straight. Hybrid well. Just driver lets me down.. when I hit it well I have my best rounds

I get what you're saying, it is an individual thing. I played golf (never seriously) off 17. Had a long break, got back into it, and bought the Ping G20 driver in 10.5 degrees So, so easy to hit. Your F7 is a good game improvement driver, but I'd be an advocate of a higher lofted driver to a beginner / mid handicap player.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I get what you're saying, it is an individual thing. I played golf (never seriously) off 17. Had a long break, got back into it, and bought the Ping G20 driver in 10.5 degrees So, so easy to hit. Your F7 is a good game improvement driver, but I'd be an advocate of a higher lofted driver to a beginner / mid handicap player.
I have only played 2 rounds with it so far I had an m2 previously

First round out with it 37 points second round 34

Driving was defo improved!

I had a lesson aswell tho lol

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site

Definitely agree with this.

The difference between my 3 wood and driver is ridiculous.

With a 3W off the tee the average distance for me is about 190, 220 top, and average about 60-70% fairways hit.

With driver, average no more than 150 even when I hit a straight shot, and a massive slice most of the time, about 20% fairways hit.

Lessons incoming but the shaft length seems to cause me problems.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I carried on playing football till I was nearly 40 then got on with my golf I should of stopped football sooner really
I’m now totally addicted to golf and spend all my time at the course when I’m not at work
I'm in a kind of crossover phase with this. 32 years old, still playing Sunday League footy and golf on Saturdays! Luckily we don't have a kid at home yet but probably only a year or two until that becomes an issue. Will probably tie in with me giving up the Sunday morning footy but hopefully keeping golf going. I doubt she'll stand for me continuing both each weekend, haha.

But like the OP, I think when I came back to golf a few years ago it was in my mind that football wouldn't last forever and I'd need a sport I can keep playing right into my 'advancing years' shall we say.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm in a kind of crossover phase with this. 32 years old, still playing Sunday League footy and golf on Saturdays! Luckily we don't have a kid at home yet but probably only a year or two until that becomes an issue. Will probably tie in with me giving up the Sunday morning footy but hopefully keeping golf going. I doubt she'll stand for me continuing both each weekend, haha.

But like the OP, I think when I came back to golf a few years ago it was in my mind that football wouldn't last forever and I'd need a sport I can keep playing right into my 'advancing years' shall we say.

Golf and one kid is fine.. I’m worried about next year when we plan to have 2 lol might have to go part time golf wise

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Golf and one kid is fine.. I’m worried about next year when we plan to have 2 lol might have to go part time golf wise
For us I think even one kid will drastically change our lifestyle, because currently we both go off out and do our own things separately for a few nights in the week and most of the weekend, just making sure we have a week night and maybe Friday and Sunday night together, stuff like that. So we will both have to start giving up certain things I'm sure. As I said though, still got probably a year and a half until we start worrying about that.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For us I think even one kid will drastically change our lifestyle, because currently we both go off out and do our own things separately for a few nights in the week and most of the weekend, just making sure we have a week night and maybe Friday and Sunday night together, stuff like that. So we will both have to start giving up certain things I'm sure. As I said though, still got probably a year and a half until we start worrying about that.

You would be surprised tbh! Once you get used to having a child you find you still do stuff

Friday I finish work at 11 I tee off at 12

Tomorrow she’s off out at 3 with her mate

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You would be surprised tbh! Once you get used to having a child you find you still do stuff

Friday I finish work at 11 I tee off at 12

Tomorrow she’s off out at 3 with her mate
Well that's nice to hear, and honestly, the opposite of what most people say, lol.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well that's nice to hear, and honestly, the opposite of what most people say, lol.

It helps with our situation that she was able to go part time (3 days a week) and I work shifts so I’m off tomorrow and she is off Thursday fridays so we going out for morning with little lady. Swimming , soft play, lunch etc

2 kids is when everything will change! Lol

This summer I’m off for a 5 day golf holiday

I sent them away last year to Spain

Dannyc

Visit site

I was exactly the same when footy was coming to the end I needed something else which I always knew golf was there
Regarding the kids one is 21 and the other 18 so they can do what they want I’m very lucky with my lady she don’t mind me going golf all the time aslong as I don’t take the piss and stay in the bar all night 😂👍