Trackman range

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Surely it's programed for the range balls in a formula if you hit these balls then convert to longer because of the formula

So stick in a normal ball it will convert on the same formula but that ball goes further because it's a normal ball not one of their range balls
My usual distance for a 7 iron was about 150
The range balls, adjusted to give real ball distance, showed 137
A real ball, I assume also adjusted, showed 154.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How can you be sure of your usual distance just by on the course? Any data to back up?

I mean most the forum think they drive 300 yards until the stats show 250

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whatever....
That's entirely the point

135 on the course prob looks "about" 150

Or it's 150 to the middle and you come up slightly short so it doesn't matter your on the front of the green your happy.

Or it was just a poor connection that only went 135 .

Don't think the tech is to blame.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
That's entirely the point

135 on the course prob looks "about" 150

Or it's 150 to the middle and you come up slightly short so it doesn't matter your on the front of the green your happy.

Or it was just a poor connection that only went 135 .

Don't think the tech is to blame.
Given Ian plays off mid to low single figures, I imagine he knows how far he hits his irons.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Given Ian plays off mid to low single figures, I imagine he knows how far he hits his irons.

I appreciate that however it's not the techs fault if one shot was shorter than the next. To dismiss proven tech for what could of been a slightly off connection or just a duff range ball , or a gust of wind.

Like any tech it's great for useful insight.

The virtual golf feature to play rounds rather than just bash balls is great.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I appreciate that however it's not the techs fault if one shot was shorter than the next. To dismiss proven tech for what could of been a slightly off connection or just a duff range ball , or a gust of wind.

Like any tech it's great for useful insight.

The virtual golf feature to play rounds rather than just bash balls is great.

I think the top tracer tech is good for making a range session a bit of fun, but that’s about it. I don’t put much faith into the figures it gives for distances etc.

There will be outliers on distances for sure, but good players know their distances and dispersion length ways is considerably less than it is for a 20 handicapper.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think the top tracer tech is good for making a range session a bit of fun, but that’s about it. I don’t put much faith into the figures it gives for distances etc.

There will be outliers on distances for sure, but good players know their distances and dispersion length ways is considerably less than it is for a 20 handicapper.

Good point, ☝️

The range of practice is a lot better than just bucket of balls , take out driver and smash them until their gone.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Agree with this. Driving range has tended to bore me over the years, TopTracer tech does at least make it a little more interesting and fun, depending on how you use it. But if I wanted to do a proper gapping session for example I wouldn't use it for that.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As a bit of feedback, I went to the Trackman range to sort my s****s out (and of course not a sign). It does things like carry distance, total distance, launch angle, height, launch direction, distance from the target, launch spin (left/right), ball speed

I used the ball convert function and for an 8 iron my average carry is 132 which is bang on where I'd expect that club to be. I managed to hit 2 proper (AD333 and Velocity!!) and the AD333 went 133 carry (138 total) and the Velocity went 135 (141 total) so only a marginal difference

sjw

Visit site
As a bit of feedback, I went to the Trackman range to sort my s****s out (and of course not a sign). It does things like carry distance, total distance, launch angle, height, launch direction, distance from the target, launch spin (left/right), ball speed

I used the ball convert function and for an 8 iron my average carry is 132 which is bang on where I'd expect that club to be. I managed to hit 2 proper (AD333 and Velocity!!) and the AD333 went 133 carry (138 total) and the Velocity went 135 (141 total) so only a marginal difference
Thanks, I think that's all the stats that Top Tracer gives, so the only question is that of accuracy between the two systems. I'm also assuming that the spin is calculated (read: estimated) from the trajectory, because I'm assuming it's a camera-based system. I know full-fat Trackman is radar based but I don't know about the range.

I'm not particularly sure about the Top Tracer numbers when it's windy, either. I have seen a difference in carry due to wind, which is all well and good, but with curvature, you'd assume that the system would put it down to spin as it doesn't "know" that it's windy.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thanks, I think that's all the stats that Top Tracer gives, so the only question is that of accuracy between the two systems. I'm also assuming that the spin is calculated (read: estimated) from the trajectory, because I'm assuming it's a camera-based system. I know full-fat Trackman is radar based but I don't know about the range.

I'm not particularly sure about the Top Tracer numbers when it's windy, either. I have seen a difference in carry due to wind, which is all well and good, but with curvature, you'd assume that the system would put it down to spin as it doesn't "know" that it's windy.
The range I used was downwind last night an aside from one that definitely caught a big (20+mph) gust and showed as longer than normal the others were pretty accurate so guessing it wouldn't know it was windy as it tracked the ball from strike

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm getting pretty threaders with the way ranges are going.

We have what I consider a really stupid situation in Plymouth where they're all going to launch monitors in every bay, but personally I think they're absolutely pants. One of them, the American Golf, has ridiculously soft/reduced distance balls but allegedly the monitor is set to "adjust", just means you're paying more for rubbish balls and hopelessly estimated distances. Worst thing is, now you have to book and rent a bay for an hour at a greatly increased rate...

Another one at Boringdon has the same adjusted monitors but switches between different types of balls. I'm pretty consistent at around 105mph /245ish driver / 135 yards carry 9 iron. Recently at the range I was "allegedly" carrying a 9 iron 165 and a driver 205...both utter nonsense but I'm paying extra for the priveledge as they have sub standard balls and adjusted launch monitors.

And to throw in some balance, China Fleet across the water is equally as bad with the the soft ball/adjusted distance BS, absolute waste of time.
“Threaders”?

You must be a fellow Matelot? 😁

HeftyHacker

Visit site

The system essentially tracks the ball flight so it is certainly affected by wind - when I went the other night I was downwind of a 20 to 30mph wind and the ball was carrying a good 10 or 15 yards further.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not sure if my swing was in a sublime place or the system was out but my yardages were big (for me). ( irons were av 132 (usually 120-124 or so) and 8 irons around 140 (usually 130). Even my driver which I am short with (around 210 av) was averaging at 223 and one out at 244 (251 with roll). Didn't feel overly windy so very confused

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Playing last night into the teeth of a very strong wind. Yardages were way down. It must track the ball rather than computing it like an indoor SIM.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing last night into the teeth of a very strong wind. Yardages were way down. It must track the ball rather than computing it like an indoor SIM.

That's the camera I believe. Picks up the ball for first few yards then works out the rest

D

Deleted member 35504

That's the camera I believe. Picks up the ball for first few yards then works out the rest
Well that doesn't add up, because if it only tracks the ball for the first few yards the wind wouldn't be in the calculations.

Anyway, good to see most on here coming to the conclusion of how poor the average range launch monitor is.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well that doesn't add up, because if it only tracks the ball for the first few yards the wind wouldn't be in the calculations.

Anyway, good to see most on here coming to the conclusion of how poor the average range launch monitor is.

Apparently it's like this

The TrackMan measures the golf swing and the entire flight of the ball from impact to landing while displaying its 3D trajectory in real-time and, when combined with OERT technology, gives incredible accuracy - measuring the landing position with an accuracy of 1 foot at 100 yards.

Got to love when people just bin tech off as poor when it doesn't agree with their own thoughts on how far they should hit