Track man/ launch monitor

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am looking to hire a simulator for around an hour, preferably in the central belt of scotland. Id like use it to practice with. I'm looking to record my statistics with a few clubs. The machine needs to be able to record the following data

Clubhead speed
Angle of attack
Carry distance
Ball speed
Smash factor
Launch angle
Back spin
Side spin
Azimuth

Am I right in saying that these are the most important stats?? The reason I'm going is I don't think I'm getting enough distance from my driver, I don't really want to buy a new one but I might be tempted to changes shafts or something. Does anybody know any places that can do this.

Iv tried a few places that will record everything except angle of attack and smash factor. Angle of attack is a pretty important stat though, right?? One guy has said it can be worked out from your other stats, is this the case and is it difficult to work out?? Tbh id rather just see them all on the screen at the one time rather than trying to work them out.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
David Orr at Eastwood is a Scotland Jnr coach and has trackman. Combine your session with a lesson! Or, indoor golf Glasgow Golf Centre (ask for Karyn), where you can use your own balls and tees and hire GC2, which should give you all the data you need. Lesson optional there. I know it's not central, but defo worth the trip.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Angle of attack is important. If you're hitting down with driver, for example. For distance data, check out YouTube and read about d-plane (spin rates vs launch angle vs angle of attack).

Also, buy some athletes foot spray. Apply to driver face and see how consistent you are at hitting the space between toe and centre. Strike is king.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Iv been to Karen at that one before, theirs doesn't record angle of attack or smash factor. It was them that said you can work it out. I have stats from there from a few years ago. I might dig them out.

Does the one at Clydebank do the stats I'm after??

Where's Eastwood? I already have someone I take lessons with and they do have trackman, i was just kinda looking for the £15 an hour thing to record some stats, try and work out what's going on then Take it from there. I'm not a big fan of having lessons from different pros, or watching to many YouTube videos tbh.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Iv been to Karen at that one before, theirs doesn't record angle of attack or smash factor. It was them that said you can work it out. I have stats from there from a few years ago. I might dig them out.

Does the one at Clydebank do the stats I'm after??

Where's Eastwood? I already have someone I take lessons with and they do have trackman, i was just kinda looking for the £15 an hour thing to record some stats, try and work out what's going on then Take it from there. I'm not a big fan of having lessons from different pros, or watching to many YouTube videos tbh.

It has a Trackman, I have no idea if it collects the data you ask about. Phone and ask them.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Smash factor is just ball speed divided by club speed.

Most launch monitors don't physically record all the data you're after, some are calculated/guessed from other data.

For example, if I remember right Trackman is a radar system so doesn't actually measure spin (because all it can see is the ball path), but estimates it based on the ball flight.

GC2 is a photography based system so it can measure spin, but only sees the first few feet of flight and therefore has to calculate carry distance.

Also, if the GC2 doesn't have HMT attached it is guessing club speed based on ball data and an estimated smash factor.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am looking to hire a simulator for around an hour, preferably in the central belt of scotland. Id like use it to practice with. I'm looking to record my statistics with a few clubs. The machine needs to be able to record the following data

Clubhead speed
Angle of attack
Carry distance
Ball speed
Smash factor
Launch angle
Back spin
Side spin
Azimuth

Am I right in saying that these are the most important stats?? The reason I'm going is I don't think I'm getting enough distance from my driver, I don't really want to buy a new one but I might be tempted to changes shafts or something. Does anybody know any places that can do this.

Iv tried a few places that will record everything except angle of attack and smash factor. Angle of attack is a pretty important stat though, right?? One guy has said it can be worked out from your other stats, is this the case and is it difficult to work out?? Tbh id rather just see them all on the screen at the one time rather than trying to work them out.

(can't help any with geographical locations)

assuming the current driver is not 9.5º or under with x-stiff shaft, new driver or shaft not goin to make any real difference

key to distance - is just an efficient strike (so strike location on face) and launch conditions for whatever clubhead speed is being delivered - smash factor # an indication of how efficient the strike is to creating optimum ball speed

a positive attack angle or at worst level with a driver
a good initial launch angle (attack angle & dynamic loft at strike play into this)
spinrate that's not way up past say 2500 rpm

both trackman and gc2 hmt give the numbers - though the screen at the time may not be displaying all the parameters they can measure as you can configure the displays

most coaches won''t have all the parameters up on the display screen just the ones key to someones improvement

and it's one thing seeing the #'s but you gotta be able to interpret them and know how to go about improvement

if currently driver distance so efficiency of strike/launch conditions is the main issue with the current state of the game perhaps would be better having a lesson with the driver on a LM first off so you know what you should be looking for and what exactly plays into getting what you should be looking for