Toying with the idea

T

thecraw

Do I buy another car or not?

We went down to one car about 20 months ago to save money etc. I can cycle to work and if its snowing or icy I can get a train no problem. The downside is golf! If the kids have any of their clubs on or swimming lessons etc then I am snookered as the wife (or me) will need to do the taxi service. A second car would be very useful as I could then disappear for an hour or two and not be noticed when she has the car. It would also help in other situations as well.

I went through to Dunbar on Friday with Bomber and had to get two trains out to Airdrie with golf clubs and a holdall which was a right royal pain in the butt. Marching through Glasgow City Centre from Central Station to Queen Street Station at 0800 with a set of clubs is not fun. Its even less fun standing in Airdrie waiting on bomber. You'd think people in Airdrie had never seen golf bats before! Either that they were wondering how much they could get for them down at the local cash converters.

I've also had to rely on the good nature of friends etc in the past to pick me up when the wife has needed the car.

Anyway I went and did a wee bit of shopping today to see what was out there and I've (surprise surprise) seen a wee runabout that I quite liked. I resisted the temptation of a test drive but have got the urge to go back. I have done the finances and checked out the insurance etc and the car is easily affordable however I would be looking to claw back some of the expenditure else where and the prime candidate would be the loss of Sky Sports which is just extortionate now. I would also have to stop paying into my slush fund to finance the car. This is my money not family money so it wouldn't be a guilt trip or missed!

Decisions decisions!

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why not just get an old but reliable car that is cheap and cheerful? If it is only to throw golf clubs in does it really matter?

T

thecraw

Why not just get an old but reliable car that is cheap and cheerful? If it is only to throw golf clubs in does it really matter?

I was looking at a couple of old bangers to get me from A-B however they are usually older, large tax and higher insurance plus I want something that's going to be comfortable to drive when heading round to Machrihanish and give wee bit of ooomph if required.

Bomber69

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Do I buy another car or not?

We went down to one car about 20 months ago to save money etc. I can cycle to work and if its snowing or icy I can get a train no problem. The downside is golf! If the kids have any of their clubs on or swimming lessons etc then I am snookered as the wife (or me) will need to do the taxi service. A second car would be very useful as I could then disappear for an hour or two and not be noticed when she has the car. It would also help in other situations as well.

I went through to Dunbar on Friday with Bomber and had to get two trains out to Airdrie with golf clubs and a holdall which was a right royal pain in the butt. Marching through Glasgow City Centre from Central Station to Queen Street Station at 0800 with a set of clubs is not fun. Its even less fun standing in Airdrie waiting on bomber. You'd think people in Airdrie had never seen golf bats before! Either that they were wondering how much they could get for them down at the local cash converters.

I've also had to rely on the good nature of friends etc in the past to pick me up when the wife has needed the car.

Anyway I went and did a wee bit of shopping today to see what was out there and I've (surprise surprise) seen a wee runabout that I quite liked. I resisted the temptation of a test drive but have got the urge to go back. I have done the finances and checked out the insurance etc and the car is easily affordable however I would be looking to claw back some of the expenditure else where and the prime candidate would be the loss of Sky Sports which is just extortionate now. I would also have to stop paying into my slush fund to finance the car. This is my money not family money so it wouldn't be a guilt trip or missed!

Decisions decisions!

Hate to think about what your looking at as Sky Sports will only set you back a tenner at most on your package.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
we went down to one car last year, save a fortune and it more than outweighs the very occasional inconvenience.

sydney greenstreet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well I gave up the Sky sports a a few months ago and do not miss it one bit as I still get to see golf and fitbaw through live streams on the PC :eek: (Yes I know what you work as). Also the fare for travel on public transport would probably be more expensive than fuel for the motor, a 1.2L will still have enough oomph to get you about.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Scrap Sky and as mentioned watch golf etc on free streaming. Get something like a Nissan Micra or honda Civic that will go for ever and not cost a wad to run.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
alternatively, and possibly a bigger saving, get the newer car in the wifes name and under her insurance, you keep the one you have now. the newer one could be a lot smaller not having to carry the sticks

T

thecraw

The wife has turned my current bus into a skip. She has no concept of looking after a car or how to even put water in it. Its a miracle she even knows how to put fuel in it. To date she hasn't even put petrol in by mistake.

As an example I have just spent over £350 for new new front discs, pads and callipers after she ground metal on metal. I drove the car last Saturday to Dundonald (first time in God knows how long) and the front brakes were grinding like nothing. Turns out this has been making a noise for over a month. Idiot!

She came home once saying the car was driving funny - flat rear nearside tyre!

No way this will be my run around and I've just made up my mind. Uncle Arnold will be getting my business.