Top tip: buy a jacket that is too tight

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Played in pouring rain yesterday. My waterproof jacket is a bit tight (no need to go into why that might be!) and I was restricted to a three-quarter backswing. My dispersion improved vastly for a negligible loss of distance (maybe even nil). I have seen my future and it's a short backswing followed by win after win and a ten shot handicap reduction... maybe.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You will hold that thought, and swing, until the next time you realise that the perfect shot needs an extra 10yds to that which your new swing gives you. You go for it, muff it because you are trying to destroy the ball, and the wonderful 3/4 swing is a thing of the past, the spell is broken, even though you know it to be the way forward. (I may be speaking from personal experience here :ROFLMAO:. I hope you are mentally stronger than I am and are able to maintain this 3/4 swing for longer)

sjw

Visit site
Few rounds ago I played the round of my life, and everything was easy. Swinging, didn't think about it, wasn't swinging hard, puring the ball (nearly) every time.

Next time out, thinking, "well, I know I can strike the ball so well now, this'll be great," I found myself trying way too hard again, and was therefore thinning and fatting the hell out of everything! Around the 14th hole, I'd given up, so just decided "f*ck it," and what do you know? Easy swing, pure strikes.

Moral of the story, don't think too hard about not thinking!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I shortened my swing several years ago when trying things on the range and realised that I barely lost any distance (4-5 yards tops) on most shots, but it was so much easier to strike the ball consistently (better strike cancels out the distance loss anyway). Never looked back since. My club is basically vertical at the top of the backswing. I wouldn't even know how to swing it right back to horizontal now, it'd be a car crash, all over the place.

Funnily enough, when I wear a jacket that's too tight or has no give in it, I slice everything.

Mandofred

Visit site
I've been working on the short backswing for a couple of years now....only thing that gets in the way is my head. I start playing really well.....and I know what is going to happen and I still can't stop it. Somewhere in the back of my brain there is some rebel brain cells that are instigating an uprising..."if you are playing that well, think how well you would do if you swing a little harder!!":devilish::devilish: It never works for me....but I also don't seem to be able to stop the yo-yoing between swinging easy and swinging harder.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My theory is that the backswing probably isn’t actually shorter, the amount of body turn is likely the same. The difference being there is no arm overrun on a swing that feels shorter and therefore everything is linked up better and connected for the downswing, which is what drives power anyway.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I've been working on the short backswing for a couple of years now....only thing that gets in the way is my head. I start playing really well.....and I know what is going to happen and I still can't stop it. Somewhere in the back of my brain there is some rebel brain cells that are instigating an uprising..."if you are playing that well, think how well you would do if you swing a little harder!!":devilish::devilish: It never works for me....but I also don't seem to be able to stop the yo-yoing between swinging easy and swinging harder.
This is exactly what I think will happen with me.