Glasgow Gailes in the wind and rain - a true test

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I played a challenge match with friends yesterday at Glasgow Gailes http://www.gaileslinks.co.uk/ The rain was torrential as we made our way down the Ayr road. My partner and I were dressed in our Sunday best as ( for a wind up) our host thought it would be funny to tell us it was jacket and tie only. This made revenge our aim of the day.

With some members deciding not to go out, we had the course almost to ourselves ( maybe 6 other groups out there with us) The rain eventually subsided after 6 holes and the wind died as we came up the 15th. However the mix of the conditions made it a great challenge and really stretched our games - it was amazing how moher nature protected holes you thought looked straight forward.
Irons off some tees, low punched approach shots and tricky pitch and runs were the order of the day.

The course was in great condition, no lying water at all, solid greens, tight fairways and unforgiving heather.
I took heart in that I only lost one ball ( a duck hook into the purple stuff off the 11th tee) and my partner and I kept our noses in front to win it on the last.
The bacon rolls washed down with a couple of Guinness topped off a great game of golf in a true test of links golf

If you havent played the course, it is recommended. One of teh boys mentioned a deal for Glasgow Gailes, Western Gailes and Dundonald. Thats worth researching.

Will need another couple of links rounds in November to get me ready for the season finale - a round at Muirfield in early December. I doubt I will sleep the night before that one.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I played a challenge match with friends yesterday at Glasgow Gailes http://www.gaileslinks.co.uk/ The rain was torrential as we made our way down the Ayr road. My partner and I were dressed in our Sunday best as ( for a wind up) our host thought it would be funny to tell us it was jacket and tie only. This made revenge our aim of the day.

With some members deciding not to go out, we had the course almost to ourselves ( maybe 6 other groups out there with us) The rain eventually subsided after 6 holes and the wind died as we came up the 15th. However the mix of the conditions made it a great challenge and really stretched our games - it was amazing how moher nature protected holes you thought looked straight forward.
Irons off some tees, low punched approach shots and tricky pitch and runs were the order of the day.

The course was in great condition, no lying water at all, solid greens, tight fairways and unforgiving heather.
I took heart in that I only lost one ball ( a duck hook into the purple stuff off the 11th tee) and my partner and I kept our noses in front to win it on the last.
The bacon rolls washed down with a couple of Guinness topped off a great game of golf in a true test of links golf

If you havent played the course, it is recommended. One of teh boys mentioned a deal for Glasgow Gailes, Western Gailes and Dundonald. Thats worth researching.

Will need another couple of links rounds in November to get me ready for the season finale - a round at Muirfield in early December. I doubt I will sleep the night before that one.

There is a deal on to play all three however it does have tight restriction. You must play all 3 within a week and you can't get on Western Gailes at the weekend.

A good offer but not very flexible.

T

thecraw

Gailes is a great track yet in my opinion its the weakest of the three you mention. Western and Dundonald are both better tracks. Glasgow Gailes is tough as old boots and you need to be strong off the tee to score. Yesterday was honking on the West coast and I admire you playing in such conditions.

Glad you enjoyed it.