Top Players Moving Away From Equipment Contracts ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 21445
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21445

Seems to be a slight trend of top players moving away from equipment contracts ?

Justin Rose choose not to resign with anyone after Honma and has a mix of brands in the bag including a Ping Driver.
Jason Day has moved away from Taylormade, while retaining their fairway woods also has a Ping Driver and Mizuno Irons.

Ive never really understood why top players sign equipment contracts, they dont need the money and it seems to make sense to me to just choose the equipment you like rather than the one you are forced to use.

Thoughts ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do contracts give you more behind the scenes back up at tournaments? If Bubba wants to try a new ping shaft presumably this gets dealt with ahead of Rose wanting the same? I don't know the answer, just guessing.

The ideal seems to be no contract and pick what suits you. Without knowing the behind the scenes stuff it is hard to say for certain.

With the money these guys earn now the established ones certainly don't need deals that restrict them anymore.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Patrick Reed, and Daniel Berger are another two, and who knows if Koepka has signed with Srixon or just plays their irons.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It can also suit the manufacturers too.
TM had a huge roster of top players - Tiger, DJ, Rory, Rahm and more...
Rahm decided to move to Callaway and maybe Day didn't get offered as good a contract as he wanted.
Day, whilst not at the end of his PGA Tour career, is starting the back 9...
Losing him frees up cash for some newer talent like Wolff or Scheffler..
Not saying that's what happened but it's possible.
Also, with the club contract, comes corporate and advertising responsibilities too.
Maybe Justin, Jason, Brooks and the rest have had enough of that sort of thing.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Seems to be a slight trend of top players moving away from equipment contracts ?

Justin Rose choose not to resign with anyone after Honma and has a mix of brands in the bag including a Ping Driver.
Jason Day has moved away from Taylormade, while retaining their fairway woods also has a Ping Driver and Mizuno Irons.

Ive never really understood why top players sign equipment contracts, they dont need the money and it seems to make sense to me to just choose the equipment you like rather than the one you are forced to use.

Thoughts ?

Don't need the money possibly.

But if you were offered millions of dollars a year to use something, you would wouldn't you.

They earn a lot more in sponsorship than in tournament winnings

For instance in 2019 Justin Thomas earned $3,170,000 on the PGA Tour and $23,000,000 from sponsorship. Granted that won't be all equipment brands, but still. If someone is going to give you maybe 2-3 years worth of winnings every year for using a Taylormade Sim2 I think most people would

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't need the money possibly.

But if you were offered millions of dollars a year to use something, you would wouldn't you.

They earn a lot more in sponsorship than in tournament winnings

For instance in 2019 Justin Thomas earned $3,170,000 on the PGA Tour and $23,000,000 from sponsorship. Granted that won't be all equipment brands, but still. If someone is going to give you maybe 2-3 years worth of winnings every year for using a Taylormade Sim2 I think most people would

Oooft. Neither wonder he was kacking it after his F-bomb. 23 mill is a lot of dosh. Never thought it would be that much.

sunshine

Visit site
Justin Rose was effectively dumped by TM, it’s now a long time since his major win and there’s a new generation of players coming through who are far more marketable. Honma offered him a deal but he found himself going back to his old gear because that’s what worked for him.

Jason Day.... it’s now a long time since his major win and there’s a new generation of players coming through who are far more marketable...

As a pro golfer, tournament winnings are very volatile. A win sets you up, but injuries or loss of form are potentially just around the corner. Makes perfect sense to sign long term sponsorship deals that guarantee steady income.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It can also suit the manufacturers too.
TM had a huge roster of top players - Tiger, DJ, Rory, Rahm and more...
Rahm decided to move to Callaway and maybe Day didn't get offered as good a contract as he wanted.
Day, whilst not at the end of his PGA Tour career, is starting the back 9...
Losing him frees up cash for some newer talent like Wolff or Scheffler..
Not saying that's what happened but it's possible.
Also, with the club contract, comes corporate and advertising responsibilities too.
Maybe Justin, Jason, Brooks and the rest have had enough of that sort of thing.
I would also argue that someone choosing to use their gear without a contract in place does the manufacturer more favours than if it's known they are being paid to use it.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Based on the golf at the Arnold Palmer winnings, I was shocked at some of the winnings further down the field around 10-15th.

By the time they’ve paid taxes, accommodation and transport, the caddy and so on it was minimal for a top 15 finish.

based on that alone i would have thought players between 10-20th consistently would be reliant on club contracts.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Based on the golf at the Arnold Palmer winnings, I was shocked at some of the winnings further down the field around 10-15th.

By the time they’ve paid taxes, accommodation and transport, the caddy and so on it was minimal for a top 15 finish.

based on that alone i would have thought players between 10-20th consistently would be reliant on club contracts.

I know what you're saying, but at $98k a piece for each of the guys at T21 its not exactly pocket change, even after the expenses listed I'd be surprised if they were taking home any less than $30 to 40k of that.

I don't know how it would work exactly but I imagine most of these guys would be set up as Ltd companies or the US equivalent and could therefore write off any T&E etc as business expenses?

Disclaimer, I am not a proper accountant or tax expert.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I know what you're saying, but at $98k a piece for each of the guys at T21 its not exactly pocket change, even after the expenses listed I'd be surprised if they were taking home any less than $30 to 40k of that.

I don't know how it would work exactly but I imagine most of these guys would be set up as Ltd companies or the US equivalent and could therefore write off any T&E etc as business expenses?

Disclaimer, I am not a proper accountant or tax expert.

Would make sense I suppose.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think one of the benefits of having a contract must be the way the clubs can be tweeked for the playes with shaft and head options. Also gives them early exposure to (better) newer equipment.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site

There was an ex tour pro on the Rick Shiels podcast and he was saying that after local taxes, taxes in your own country, caddy fees, all expenses etc they are left with about a third of the prize money.
He reckoned a journeyman needed 500k per year to have a comfortableish existence on tour.

Even down to about 20thnplace where the prize money was 70k then that should leave about 23k which ain't bad for a week's work. Problem is the journeymen don't earn as much as the stars.