Top 100

D

Deleted member 1147

By character, not geography. Obviously. There are Burger Kings all over Ireland, but they are not Irish restaurants.
So where are parkland courses from?... they are everywhere, and are built using local soil, weather etc

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
So where are parkland courses from?... they are everywhere, and are built using local soil, weather etc

Well, yes, I realise Ireland has fields. I don't think we really need to debate what sort of courses define the character of Irish golf. The K Club and Carton House are perfectly fine courses for parkland courses, but could be transplanted to Florida and not look out of place. Quirky and mercurial links golf defines Irish golf.

D

Deleted member 1147

Well, yes, I realise Ireland has fields. I don't think we really need to debate what sort of courses define the character of Irish golf. The K Club and Carton House are perfectly fine courses for parkland courses, but could be transplanted to Florida and not look out of place. Quirky and mercurial links golf defines Irish golf.
Only by the shore, what about inland ?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can’t think of anything?

No, bored with being asked questions to which you know I know the answers, without you adding anything of substance. I know all of Ireland isn't on the coast, but you seem to be deliberately missing the point, so add some coherent arguments and we can continue.

D

Deleted member 1147

No, bored with being asked questions to which you know I know the answers, without you adding anything of substance. I know all of Ireland isn't on the coast, but you seem to be deliberately missing the point, so add some coherent arguments and we can continue.
I just think it’s a shame that Ireland apparently has no inland courses worth the name☹️

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I just think it’s a shame that Ireland apparently has no inland courses worth the name☹️

There are some nice inland courses, but when you think of Irish golf and the great courses in the country, they are just not in the top echelon.

In England, my opinion is that heathland golf is the national characteristic, Surrey-Berkshire courses like Sunningdale, the three Ws, Swinley, The Berkshire, Yorkshire courses like Ganton and Alwoodley and a few others like Notts and Woodhall Spa.

D

Deleted member 1147

There are some nice inland courses, but when you think of Irish golf and the great courses in the country, they are just not in the top echelon.

In England, my opinion is that heathland golf is the national characteristic, Surrey-Berkshire courses like Sunningdale, the three Ws, Swinley, The Berkshire, Yorkshire courses like Ganton and Alwoodley and a few others like Notts and Woodhall Spa.
Do you not have heathland in Ireland?

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site

Oh, I was right with you there. Right up to the point where you defined “English” courses. They most definitely are not the courses I think of when I consider the best of English golf ?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Carton House a better golf course than RCD.

No. It's not. It's a typical resort golf course, and not even a particularly memorable one, where as I can remember every hole at RCD.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
RCD best course I have ever played. 31 points I got round there was one of the best rounds I have played. Strong wind and quick greens didn’t go together well. :eek:

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Go on, then, tell us.
Ok, it’s Links. And the archetypal Scottish courses are Links. And Welsh.

Fortunate as I am, my local courses are Birkdale, Hillside, S&A, West Lancs, Royal Liverpool.

Then, another favourite, Silloth. Holiday golf at Saunton, Trevose, St Enodoc, Perranporth.

They are what I think of when I consider “English” golf. Maybe it’s because I’m from Oop Norf. But the Surrey belt heathland courses do not register for me ?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok, it’s Links. And the archetypal Scottish courses are Links. And Welsh.

Fortunate as I am, my local courses are Birkdale, Hillside, S&A, West Lancs, Royal Liverpool.

Then, another favourite, Silloth. Holiday golf at Saunton, Trevose, St Enodoc, Perranporth.

They are what I think of when I consider “English” golf. Maybe it’s because I’m from Oop Norf. But the Surrey belt heathland courses do not register for me ?

I love links, and used to be a member of Silloth. Those are great courses, but when I think of the national character, I see links belonging to Ireland and Scotland more. Scotland has some heathland golf too, but for me heathland golf is characteristically English. It isn't just Surrey/Berks, Yourshire has Ganton, Alwoodley, Moortown, Lindrick, down the road a bit to Notts and Sherwood Forest, and Woodhall Spa.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I love links, and used to be a member of Silloth. Those are great courses, but when I think of the national character, I see links belonging to Ireland and Scotland more. Scotland has some heathland golf too, but for me heathland golf is characteristically English. It isn't just Surrey/Berks, Yourshire has Ganton, Alwoodley, Moortown, Lindrick, down the road a bit to Notts and Sherwood Forest, and Woodhall Spa.
I do understand the thought process. But I do wonder if it’s more to do with the historical class based positioning of golf in the mentioned countries. When I’ve played in Scotland and Ireland (only Lahinch so far, but more planned this year), golf appears to be a sport that transcends the class barriers.
Growing up in England, golf was what the posh boys played whilst I was getting my nose broken playing Rugby League.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site