Top 100

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
Over the years I have had the opportunity to play many of the the worlds most renowned courses, I was meant to tick off Cypress Point last year, but events got in the way of that one, still I'm hopeful I'll get invited again one day as its really does look amazing. Pine Valley was a favourite and I'd happily play there everyday if I had to!

The top 100 lists vary, some wont include the likes of Cypress etc, but I do love a golf trip.

D

Deleted Member 1156

So was I, maybe we can pair up and play together ?

D

Deleted member 1147

I’ve heard that Cypress is overrated.
I wouldn’t bother going if I were you.

Hammertoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I know I may get a bit of flack for this but royal county down at number 6 is so wrong in my eyes. I grew up 20 miles from it and it is a great course, beautiful setting and fabulous condition but I have played much better courses in Ireland, in Northern Ireland even, never mind the world. Just my opinion so don't slay me

D

Deleted Member 1156

I know I may get a bit of flack for this but royal county down at number 6 is so wrong in my eyes. I grew up 20 miles from it and it is a great course, beautiful setting and fabulous condition but I have played much better courses in Ireland, in Northern Ireland even, never mind the world. Just my opinion so don't slay me
Which courses do you think are better?

D

Deleted member 15344

Now that’s a interesting opinion - I haven’t played many in NI - RCD , Portrush and Ardglass - and Ballyliffin in Ireland but none touch RCD , and it’s the best course I have played

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Which courses in Ireland (north & south) do you rate higher than it?

For me (out of the ones I’ve played) only Royal Portrush is arguably better than it and only since they added the two new holes a couple of years ago.

It’s all subjective of course and I know a few guys who don’t think RCD is all it’s cracked up to be but for me I absolutely love it.

D

Deleted member 1147

I think two places I’d love to visit, money no object, are Barnbougle and abandon Dunes.
Seem to be a couple of collections of top courses.

Hammertoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site

For me (out of the ones I’ve played) only Royal Portrush is arguably better than it and only since they added the two new holes a couple of years ago.

It’s all subjective of course and I know a few guys who don’t think RCD is all it’s cracked up to be but for me I absolutely love it.

Of the ones I have played, I would say Royal Portrush, Lough Erne and Portstewart I enjoyed more, in the South Tralee, Concra Wood, Rosapenna, K Club and Carlton House.

Look Royal County Down is fantastic, but for me there were too many blind shots, it's all totally subjective and I can totally see why it's ranked so highly and I am probably in the minority here but I just enjoyed myself more at these other courses, not saying they are better or worse I can only judge on my experience of them.

Hammertoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site

By the way, hope you are well Stephen? Still an offer for you if you are ever my way to play Kirkistown with me, and hopefully when things get back to normal and there is another Irish trio I will join you, cheers Allan.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
By the way, hope you are well Stephen? Still an offer for you if you are ever my way to play Kirkistown with me, and hopefully when things get back to normal and there is another Irish trio I will join you, cheers Allan.

All good here Allan, no plans for an Irish meet this year as no point it seems at minute with covid but maybe later in year if things get anywhere near back to normal.

Thanks for the offer and same applies if you ever up this way and fancy a game at Ballyliffin.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Of the ones I have played, I would say Royal Portrush, Lough Erne and Portstewart I enjoyed more, in the South Tralee, Concra Wood, Rosapenna, K Club and Carlton House.

Look Royal County Down is fantastic, but for me there were too many blind shots, it's all totally subjective and I can totally see why it's ranked so highly and I am probably in the minority here but I just enjoyed myself more at these other courses, not saying they are better or worse I can only judge on my experience of them.

There's the problem, you really can't have K Club, Carton House in a conversation about the best Irish courses. They are nor Irish courses, they are parkland courses created by moving a lot of soil and could be anywhere.

It is precisely because of the blind holes and quirky character than RCD is a magnificent course. It is not perfect, the great holes finish at the 15th, but it is enormously challenging and highly changeable depending on the weather and wind direction. I haven't played Royal Portrush since the changes for The Open, but the previous version was great, but not as characterful as RCD. Ballybunion Old would be a contender except the first few are a bit anonymous.