Too handsy? Drill needed for occasional flipping

evemccc

Visit site
My current ‘miss’ with esp the lower lofted clubs such as woods is ‘left’ - Now sometimes the ball will go straight but other times I think I get too handsy and flip, so my club face control isn’t too good — so, are there any drills to improve face control / lessen a too-closed club face?

It’s frustrating as it doesn’t happen all the time, often it will be straight…but I guess I don’t time it right always and it will sail off left — even more frustrating is when it’s a good connection and a flushed strike yet I’ve left the club-face close too much

I’ve heard that I could try turning my body faster to lessen / override too quick hands?

Edit: this isn’t really an issue with 8/9/PW shots, I guess the added loft helps and the lower lofted clubs penalise a bad club face?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not sure if it is the same issue I have/had but the outcome seems to be the same. During lessons, the Pro noted that i sometimes regrip the club in my backswing and close the club face. To 'cure' this, he got a costa coffee wooden stirrer and put it on top of my left thumb (RH golfer) and got me to grip it with my right hand. By concentrating on gripping the stirrer, it meant I wasn't altering my grip during the backswing and kept the club face square.
Thinking about it, this fault has crept back in so must try the drill again next time I am at the range

evemccc

Visit site
Not sure if it is the same issue I have/had but the outcome seems to be the same. During lessons, the Pro noted that i sometimes regrip the club in my backswing and close the club face. To 'cure' this, he got a costa coffee wooden stirrer and put it on top of my left thumb (RH golfer) and got me to grip it with my right hand. By concentrating on gripping the stirrer, it meant I wasn't altering my grip during the backswing and kept the club face square.
Thinking about it, this fault has crept back in so must try the drill again next time I am at the range
Cheers for input

I’ve read that holding the club as loose as you can, will also help

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use a firmish strip of plastic similar to a lolly ice stick under my watch strap.
it’s not perfect but it shows you your lead hand (right handed golfer) is collapsing to early.

I have seen one for a bit of blue tack and a tee peg on the back of your gloved hand.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is exactly the same shot that I get from time to time, just get too wristy and start firing it left. Everyone is telling you some good tips on how to stop doing it, but if you are like me they will not work. My old pro got me to play a round with his driver (had the same driver as me) and put a couple of his irons in my bag, but they have midsize grips instead of the standard golf pride plus 4 with one extra wrap I am using. What a difference it made, not one shot lost to the left. Yes it felt a bit strange to start with, but I have now regripped my clubs with midsize grips and I love it. I have actually found a few extra yards off the tee as now I can just swing away without having to worry about the ball going left.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Personally I'd be more inclined to seek professional advice, see a pro, I'm sure they could solve it no problem or pm Bob a video of it.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
My current ‘miss’ with esp the lower lofted clubs such as woods is ‘left’ - Now sometimes the ball will go straight but other times I think I get too handsy and flip, so my club face control isn’t too good — so, are there any drills to improve face control / lessen a too-closed club face?

It’s frustrating as it doesn’t happen all the time, often it will be straight…but I guess I don’t time it right always and it will sail off left — even more frustrating is when it’s a good connection and a flushed strike yet I’ve left the club-face close too much

I’ve heard that I could try turning my body faster to lessen / override too quick hands?

Edit: this isn’t really an issue with 8/9/PW shots, I guess the added loft helps and the lower lofted clubs penalise a bad club face?

D

Deleted member 1147

A couple of drills I was given are (all of them, if flipping the hand will lead to terrible misshits):

- Hit some half shots ( Pw or 9 iron) with just the right hand (assuming right handed)

- hit some half swing 7 irons with a split grip. Left hand at top of grip, right hand just on the metal below the grip.

- try hitting some drivers off the deck.