Toe hang for putter

HPIMG

Visit site
I went for a putter fitting today and turns out my putter is too short for me I need a 35 inch and I have a slight arc for my swing. Fitter had every brand it felt like except mizuno.
I have seen a mizuno putter I really like the look of and it says it has 40% of toe hang, would that be suitable for a slight arc ? Also does anyone know if the coloured mizuno putter will keep there colour ? I have a black ping putter that’s a year old and it’s starting to fade quite noticeably?

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I went for a putter fitting today and turns out my putter is too short for me I need a 35 inch and I have a slight arc for my swing. Fitter had every brand it felt like except mizuno.
I have seen a mizuno putter I really like the look of and it says it has 40% of toe hang, would that be suitable for a slight arc ? Also does anyone know if the coloured mizuno putter will keep there colour ? I have a black ping putter that’s a year old and it’s starting to fade quite noticeably?

I had a SAM putt fitting some years ago and was told that I had a slight arc, since then I use toe hang putters as they suit my stroke. As for the Mizuno losing colour I have no idea. My Callaway MD wedges are black and have faded to a nice looking smoke chrome colour though.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was told for years I had a straight back and through stroke so face balanced was for me.
Seen a fitter who said .”take no notice of this “
I now have a toe hang putter and am putting miles better.
As for the colour , no finish on clubs lasts forever but on a putter as long as you look after it it will last.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Interesting that this thread has come up, I’ve been reading up on this today as I’m in the market for a new putter. I need to work out what style of putter I am first, but I believe my current putter only has a slight toe hang, it’s described as face balanced online though, and I seem to get on fine with it (apart from the insert coming out recently).

As for the finish, I can only comment on the experience I had with a black matte finish odyssey versa. The head cover was very snug and every time I took the putter out/back in, the Velcro fastening scratched it slightly. Not properly scratching the paint, but enough to notice, so I sent it back for a refund.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
What did the ones you were able to try have as a toe hang %? What shape were they? If they were close to the Mizuno in terms of toe hang and shape/size, then buy the Mizuno... once you've tried it.

HPIMG

Visit site
What did the ones you were able to try have as a toe hang %? What shape were they? If they were close to the Mizuno in terms of toe hang and shape/size, then buy the Mizuno... once you've tried it.
I already ordered the mizuno yesterday it’s coming tomorrow. I tried a bunch of different scotty s and pings but they didn’t do anything for me. I think because I use mizuno irons and love them I kind of had it in my head I was getting a mizuno. So hopefully I like this putter tomorrow.

Ian_George

Visit site
I was told for years I had a straight back and through stroke so face balanced was for me.
Seen a fitter who said .”take no notice of this “
I now have a toe hang putter and am putting miles better.
As for the colour , no finish on clubs lasts forever but on a putter as long as you look after it it will last.
There is considerable debate within 'the industry' as to whether there's an absolute link between the 2 attributes! To me, it's note in absolute link, though as a SBST-er, blades like Mickelson uses don't work for me, in spite of loving their look; CS ones do though, again, in spite of their (often fugly) look!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is considerable debate within 'the industry' as to whether there's an absolute link between the 2 attributes! To me, it's note in absolute link, though as a SBST-er, blades like Mickelson uses don't work for me, in spite of loving their look; CS ones do though, again, in spite of their (often fugly) look!
A lot of putters don’t work on UK greens because they are to slow.
Phills blade is ok on 12 on the stimp!
It makes me chuckle hearing golfers say the insert in the face of their putter is so soft.
Then they leave every putt short.

But it’s like the Econemy experts it’s choosing one to belive.

Ian_George

Visit site
It makes me chuckle hearing golfers say the insert in the face of their putter is so soft.

Those attributes of folk and their putting (soft insert; leaving putts short) are not necessarily connected! As per the archetypic 'insert putter', the, apparently Bettinardi made, Scotty Newport TEI3 is ll about 'feel of strike'. Consistently leaving putts short, even on UK's 'slow' greens is, imo, a mental issue! I'm capable (and even have a tendency to do so!) of doing so on ANY speed green - from very slow (8-9) to rocket quick (14+)!

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site

They leave it short because they didnt hit it hard enough, pure and simple !

The putter face material rabbit hole is one of the most warped in golf, and thats with strong competition.

Last edited:

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Those LAB Putters are possible the ugliest clubs I have ever seen.

Someone posted on another thread about Sink Putters in Sussex, they are things of beauty

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe the torque of an off centre hit is so tiny compared to even a baby's grip , that it has no effect on the clubface angle in the first place...
The face goes where the golfer aims it.
The impact of the ball makes no difference even on off centre strikes.
I tried toe and heel strikes but it was just like any other putter.