Today i had a lesson....

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
about what golf is all about.... from an old man at the pitch and putt. Ok let me explain. I took my old man the pitch and putt (cause he still cant play full golf with his sore ribs, bless)

Anyway,started playing and this old chap had about 30 balls on one of the greens, just chippin on. My old man said 'bet he aint paid' and i just laughed thinkin we'll have to skip that hole. Anyway, when we got to the hole he was playing he made his way over to us and began to introduce him self. Sorry i'm in the way, all my balls are marked just play on. So we did. After i pinged the green and my old man duffed his shot over the daisy's, he said, how many balls have you both got? One each, well here hit some of mine with me, and lets see if we cant teach each other a thing or two (in a proper world war 2 accent may i add)

So i said what the hell, we took a few balls and began to shoot at a well littered green.

After giving my old fella a lesson on rotation (with a few good examples) we began to decsend on the short stuff.

He explained that all the local kids called him mr GAS (grip, alignment, stance, obv) and he only played in the good weather and loved to help the kids out. ''Brush the ball to the hole like an artist'' was another of his wise tips.

After chipping a 30 footer to within 6 inches he asked us ''Are you having fun'' Yes we both said. ''well thats all that matters'' And it really is isnt it! My old man asked him how old he was and he was 73 (and still going strong) I felt privaledged to be part of a community like no other. Golf is a sport where you can make friends in an instant and share a hobby that lasts a life time.

After we finished a young lad and his dad bumped into the old man on the 5th and they began to hit balls with mr GAS, i am in no doubt that the young lad will have learnt a thing or two like us.

The next time i get stuck behind the oap's 4ball i will no longer huff and puff, but wait patiently and remeber, we are all out to have fun.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
It was different, but a laugh. And it was good to see that there are still some genuine people out there who are willing to pass on their knowledge for little more than exchange in conversation.

Good old Mr GAS

Dormie

Club Champion
Visit site
Those are the people that make it worthwhile meeting other people; sounds to me like you had not only a good day but a lucky one.

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Quite heart warming Tony! Thats the spirit the game should be played in. I think (and me included) it can get lost along the way sometimes with such concentration on lower handicap etc.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lol haha, no it was quite wierd, i was half expecting to turn around at one point and the old chap to have vanished into thin air!