To coach or not to coach... it is a dilemma..

Sir Scoop-A-Lot

Head Pro
Visit site
Awesome videos. I hope one day my boy wants to pick up a club.

As already said, let him enjoy it and take him to the range or out for a few holes when he wants/you can and if he still wants to do it in a year or so book him up.

V

vkurup

I posted the picture of Jr posing as Rors on Twitter. Nike picked it up and sent him a sleeve of Rors balls. Fella is over the moon.
TwImg-20140609-193407.jpg

Edit: After a few mins of playing with the balls, it was far more interesting to burst the bubble wrap that came with it. Now the balls are tucked under the pillow - may be the tooth fairy will get him a coin.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
They run a infant Coaching programme at the belfry. All they teach is good grip and let them do whatever they like.

V

vkurup

This weekend I could not take nipper to the range (though I had promised him)... I am a bit guilty. Also not much golf on the telly last weekend. So I thought the golf fever might have cooled down a bit. Yesterday, the Rors balls arrived from Nike so he was a bit perked up.

This evening, this is what I saw when I got back from work.

[video=youtube_share;paXjJ-7zxkU]http://youtu.be/paXjJ-7zxkU[/video]

I was behind the window and he hadnt seen me. Luckily it is a plastic ball and a plastic driver.. the window had a bit of an escape

Edit: I know the back garden needs some serious trimming and tidying up. But right now he is getting a free lesson on how to play the rough ;)

V

vkurup

great to see, and no daddy pressure. well done!

Had it done any damage to the window, both father & son wud be in the dog house and any promising golf career wud have been cut short.. Hell hath no fury like a woman whose window has been smashed..

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Had it done any damage to the window, both father & son wud be in the dog house and any promising golf career wud have been cut short.. Hell hath no fury like a woman whose window has been smashed..
Be careful with those plastic balls. I managed to break a window with one. :mad: It was when I was a lot younger, and had a much more powerful swing.:whistle:

V

vkurup

Be careful with those plastic balls. I managed to break a window with one. :mad: It was when I was a lot younger, and had a much more powerful swing.:whistle:

I guess double glazing did not exist back in the 60s :ears:

BelliedWedge

Medal Winner
Visit site
Jr (4yr old) has been watching a fair bit of golf on the Telly since BMW. He loves Rors and over the last few days he has started swinging in anger. He has always had plastic clubs/wiffle balls & has been to the range with me to hit a odd few balls. On Saturday, I was in charge of childcare and got pestered by him to take him to the range.

I thought it was going to be the usual 4-5 balls and I could get some practice. But he ran thru the full 60 in the box and some. As we have automatic ball dispensers, he turned it into an arcade game

[video=youtube_share;kdRuR6OqHCA]http://youtu.be/kdRuR6OqHCA[/video]

After about 10 balls, he managed to bend his plastic club, so had to go and borrow a kiddie club from the pro shop (that is being used as a hammer in the videos)

View attachment 10788

Then we did some putting which was a bit of a laugh. As it was twilight and the course was quiet, we went to 'play' 3 holes armed with a borrowed 7 iron and his putter. Great fun but had to run behind him as he was a kid in a candy shop

http://youtu.be/jHHHeQwLHBA

We played our opening 3 holes, P5, P3, P5 - so just over 1k yards. Came off the course and he wanted to go back to range!!! Had to put my foot down and bundle him into the car all kicking and screaming. Woke up on Sunday with demand for going on the range after breakfast.

I want him to discover and enjoy the game, but am in two minds as to whether I should sign him up for some coaching. Might just be a passing phase

As the father of a one year old who is desperate for him to love the game, I am envious! The wee guy is the one setting the agenda here, he is clearly enjoying it right now, don't take the fun out of it, like others have said, wait. When he truly falls in love with the game, then get him lessons. He has decent fundamentals as it is, his set up is great. I am sure you can nurture his natural ability with fun games to keep it interesting.

If you haven't watched the documentary "The Short Game" then you should. The parents on there are living vicariously through their kids in a lot of cases, and these kids are super-talented. But a lot of them will grow to hate the game because it's about perfection and winning. I know it certainly made me think about letting my boy choose his own path, even if that is not golf.

V

vkurup

As the father of a one year old who is desperate for him to love the game, I am envious! The wee guy is the one setting the agenda here, he is clearly enjoying it right now, don't take the fun out of it, like others have said, wait. When he truly falls in love with the game, then get him lessons. He has decent fundamentals as it is, his set up is great. I am sure you can nurture his natural ability with fun games to keep it interesting.

If you haven't watched the documentary "The Short Game" then you should. The parents on there are living vicariously through their kids in a lot of cases, and these kids are super-talented. But a lot of them will grow to hate the game because it's about perfection and winning. I know it certainly made me think about letting my boy choose his own path, even if that is not golf.

One is probably too early for the game... As most people on this thread have mentioned, let him have fun. From my experience,
1) Have sports on the telly, it is amazing what the kids pick up from TV. Dont get into a debate about them having to choose between 'Paw Patrol' or 'US Open'..
2) Let them experiment with all sports... my boy mixes all his sports. He watched cricket for a while and we took him to see Rugby. He hasnt figured out the rules. Everytime he hits the cricket ball past me, he shouts 'Try'!! It is funny, but I dont try and change it for the time being
3) When he is a bit older, take him to the range. My kiddo has been to the range and he kind of figured out what people do there.
4) As someone mentioned, dont try and teach the sport or the fundamentals... let them have fun and hit the ball. Be it cricket or golf or any sport, i am hoping that his hand-eye coordination improves. the rest will take of itself
5) I think this is probably the reason he is into golf; one of the older boys (a friend's 7 year old) is totally into golf, so my boy just wants to copy it. Worryingly, I have started hearing from my son that he can now hit longer than his friend. I am not sure that is true, but it starting to show how the little ones think

Where did u get 'The Short Game' documentary... would be interesting to watch it.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
One is probably too early for the game... As most people on this thread have mentioned, let him have fun. From my experience,
1) Have sports on the telly, it is amazing what the kids pick up from TV. Dont get into a debate about them having to choose between 'Paw Patrol' or 'US Open'..
2) Let them experiment with all sports... my boy mixes all his sports. He watched cricket for a while and we took him to see Rugby. He hasnt figured out the rules. Everytime he hits the cricket ball past me, he shouts 'Try'!! It is funny, but I dont try and change it for the time being
3) When he is a bit older, take him to the range. My kiddo has been to the range and he kind of figured out what people do there.
4) As someone mentioned, dont try and teach the sport or the fundamentals... let them have fun and hit the ball. Be it cricket or golf or any sport, i am hoping that his hand-eye coordination improves. the rest will take of itself
5) I think this is probably the reason he is into golf; one of the older boys (a friend's 7 year old) is totally into golf, so my boy just wants to copy it. Worryingly, I have started hearing from my son that he can now hit longer than his friend. I am not sure that is true, but it starting to show how the little ones think

Where did u get 'The Short Game' documentary... would be interesting to watch it.

The short game is on Netflix - it's very decent

MattM

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've just had to spend £50 replacing a double glazed pane that my 6 yr old put through using his 3 wood in the garden :-(.

I've been taking him to the range off and on for over a year just to enjoy hitting balls, he also plays football cricket and tennis. We also go on the practice green and short game are to mix things up and make it fun. If I ask him if he wants to go to golf and he says yes then great, if not then no problem.

He's had 1 lesson - our local club does a 15min lesson for juniors for a fiver, which is just long enough to give him a couple of tips and a bit of encouragement which is all he needs.

Now he's used to getting coached in other sports I'm thinking of getting him a few more lessons soon, but want to pick the right pro first.

V

vkurup

A quick note to say thank you to Bob (Palindromicbob) for sending my boy a photo of Rory driving at Ballyliffin. Bob had won it a few years ago. Many thanks and Jr has given it a new home.

IMG-20140613-00049.jpg