TM SuperLaunch Burner VS Cobra S2

Richardb1012302

Club Champion
Visit site
Golfers, for a forgiving iron what could you say was better the TM Burner SLaunch or the Cobra S2, I hear the cobra is ultra forgiving but also reading this about the TM irons. Any experiences?

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The superlaunch is the most forgiving in the TM range, it has a bi cavity to get the ball airborne, because it has such a big cavity and is so forgiving it is difficult to work the ball for if you're a high handicapper that's not necessarily something you want, don't know much about the cobras I'm afraid but I hope this helps :)

Richardb1012302

Club Champion
Visit site
This is a good help, i am a complete beginner, started about 4 months ago. I had a wilson box set of clubs, there are very poor wilson ones, think this could be worth an upgrade.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Have you hit either of these sets?

From memory. The S2's come with Nippon shafts and the S/Launch come with Re-Ax shafts. It might be worth you hitting a few balls to see which shaft set up you feel most comfortably with.

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Definetely try before you buy, you are looking at the right sort of clubs though, in sure either if these will be a good purchase for a beginner

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have no experience of either though if you can wait and have a reasonable budget, the new Taylormade RBZ irons will certainly get the ball into the air and go long. Failing that, any of the Callaway range of X-12 to X-20's and newer will be easy to hit and forgiving.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Failing that, any of the Callaway range of X-12 to X-20's and newer will be easy to hit and forgiving.

couldnt agree more here, tried x16, x18, x20 & x22 and cant believe how easy these are to hit,

we just picked up a set of used x22 for a mate for £190, 4-pw,. i was very tempted to have myself for my "bad days", ive got the 09 burners and despite being sold as GI irons, they are not in the same league as x series from cally.

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The equivilant of the TM Superlaunch irons is the Cobra S2 Max. I still have a set and they are very easy to get airbourne and go a good distance as well. Cobra S2's are more like a burner iron. I would say get a set of Cally x20's as these are stupidly easy to hit.

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
Have Cobra S2 myself the lightweight shaft and heavier head build up good club head speed and for me when I started off were the best option. Tried almost every iron in the GI group. Best to just hit a variation of irons and see which suits you personally.

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I got burners and love them to bits. Took couple rounds to get used to them but worth every penny. Good flight and fairly forgiving but still if you really mis hit it they soon dissapear as they don't work miracles. Think I paid 279 from AG in February. Best bet is try both out irons really is personal preference I tried callaway big Berthas and x22 but preferred the burners

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Both are classed as SGI clubs and will be designed to get the ball in the air with maximum forgiveness. Great now while you're only a beginner but if you play more often and improve you may well outgrow them quickly. Out of interest Richard have you had any lessons in the first four months? If you can get the basics right you'll open up a lot more makes and models and would be able to use the Cally X series, TM Burner, Ping G20 etc without any problems. That said I don't think any of those are to hard to hit even for a newbie. Try as many sets as you can and try not to be focussed on just one or two models

Richardb1012302

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi Homer, I havent has any lessons but my mate that has played for a few years has helped me through the basics and i seem to be doing ok and enjoy it.

I also see you play at Royal Ascot, what is this course like, i live in windsor and normally play at mill ride with my mate, intrested to hear about ascot.

elliottlale

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i have the burner plus irons, i really like them and have said to myself they will be used for many years to come. i was a complete novice when i bought them, didnt hit them on a range (just into a net in AG). but to me they are really nice. forgiving clubs, well made, nice ball flight. id happily reccomend them to anyone starting out, my mate is buying some after xmas after trying mine, he is new to the game, but are good enough to last many years and many h/cap cuts!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hi Homer, I havent has any lessons but my mate that has played for a few years has helped me through the basics and i seem to be doing ok and enjoy it.

I also see you play at Royal Ascot, what is this course like, i live in windsor and normally play at mill ride with my mate, intrested to hear about ascot.

Its a good course. Not great but a decent test. We had trouble with the greens last season but they are starting to come back. There are a few of us from the club here (Hawkeye, Bash, Sundance) and you're be more than welcome to wander over for a game at some point. If you were interested in joining, check out the website as the joining fee has now been abolished and I think there may be other deals going on.