Titleist Tour Speed

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I generally ignore any ball that has any of the following words in its name...long, velocity, speed, distance, power, touch, super, energy, straight, spin...

You know the sort of thing :)

Chico84

Visit site
I generally ignore any ball that has any of the following words in its name...long, velocity, speed, distance, power, touch, super, energy, straight, spin...

You know the sort of thing :)

You’ll struggle to find any ball to play with if you go by that logic! ;)

The Bridgestone Tour B range, ie ProV equivalents, are between 33 and 35 quid per dozen online.

Agreed. Four different ‘tour’ level balls to suit specific different needs and priced well below other top of the line balls. I’m amazed Bridgestone don’t have a bigger following based on bang for your buck. And it’s not a compromise in performance at that.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
Last week I had a Titleist Ball fitting at Isle of Wedmore GC and here's what I got from it:

I am 14 handicap who has a slowish swing speed, has reasonable short game, average with my irons and driver, currently I play either ProV1x (won 48 in a club draw but did not tell hime that) but my best scores have been using Tour Soft. My Irons are AP3s wedges are SM8

After warm up the fitter Tom asked my about my game and handicap and then watched me warm up with 7i for a few minutes, then asked my to hit a few 50 yard pitches with a a 54 using a few different balls

At the end of this I had hit ProV, Prov1x, Tour Soft & Velocity, best spin around 7500 RPM and most consistent was Prov1x and I liked the feel an flight, ProV was lower spin and to me them felt firmer, Velocity felt like a Rock but had the highest flight which surprised me and spin was around 4000 RPM, Tour Soft also felt nice and spin was around 7000 RPM.

Then had me hit full PW shots this time with Prov1x, Tour Soft and ProV, could not tell the difference in feel ProV1x and Tour Soft and flight was similar to be honest but visually the X definitely had less run out, as did the ProV but I not like the feel it was strange, finally I hit a few 7i with ProV1x and Tour Soft both as good as each other similar flight spin with a ProV1x about 5500 ~ 6000 and was 500 ~ 1000 rpm lower with the tour soft.

I didn't hit driver because it is titliest's with driver there is not much to choice between each ball, I kind of get it but I thought its was more to do with losing the balls as surely spin will impact ball flight especially in the wind?

Finally I putted a few and deffintlty found I putted better with the ProV1x

Of course he recommended I play ProV1x but to be far he also said I could play Tour Soft but suggested they would be as consistent because of their construction

What did I come away with:

It was well worth going along as I learned a lot, mainly that ball choice in view is a personal choice and what works for one person is probably down to budget and how they feel of the face and if they feel good to you you are going to play better and it will become your ball of choice. I asked about the AVX as I can't see the point of the Ball as I can't see where Tour Speed fits in the line up, Tom said that the dimple design is different on the AVX and this makes it lower spinning ball and the Tour Speed is a two core ball to give it more speed with a " Multi-layer Thermoplastic Urethane " cover for a soft feel and more spin, don't know did try it

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Last week I had a Titleist Ball fitting at Isle of Wedmore GC and here's what I got from it:

I am 14 handicap who has a slowish swing speed, has reasonable short game, average with my irons and driver, currently I play either ProV1x (won 48 in a club draw but did not tell hime that) but my best scores have been using Tour Soft. My Irons are AP3s wedges are SM8

After warm up the fitter Tom asked my about my game and handicap and then watched me warm up with 7i for a few minutes, then asked my to hit a few 50 yard pitches with a a 54 using a few different balls

At the end of this I had hit ProV, Prov1x, Tour Soft & Velocity, best spin around 7500 RPM and most consistent was Prov1x and I liked the feel an flight, ProV was lower spin and to me them felt firmer, Velocity felt like a Rock but had the highest flight which surprised me and spin was around 4000 RPM, Tour Soft also felt nice and spin was around 7000 RPM.

Then had me hit full PW shots this time with Prov1x, Tour Soft and ProV, could not tell the difference in feel ProV1x and Tour Soft and flight was similar to be honest but visually the X definitely had less run out, as did the ProV but I not like the feel it was strange, finally I hit a few 7i with ProV1x and Tour Soft both as good as each other similar flight spin with a ProV1x about 5500 ~ 6000 and was 500 ~ 1000 rpm lower with the tour soft.

I didn't hit driver because it is titliest's with driver there is not much to choice between each ball, I kind of get it but I thought its was more to do with losing the balls as surely spin will impact ball flight especially in the wind?

Finally I putted a few and deffintlty found I putted better with the ProV1x

Of course he recommended I play ProV1x but to be far he also said I could play Tour Soft but suggested they would be as consistent because of their construction

What did I come away with:

It was well worth going along as I learned a lot, mainly that ball choice in view is a personal choice and what works for one person is probably down to budget and how they feel of the face and if they feel good to you you are going to play better and it will become your ball of choice

Surprised you didn't get to try the Tour Speed as their newest offering and I think you would have found it compared closely to the Tour Soft findings you had and pushed the Pro V's especially around the green and with the wedges. I always think feel off the putter is so subjective so hard for me to comment as what I think feels nice may feel different to someone else and not what they like

D

Deleted Member 1156

I’m amazed Bridgestone don’t have a bigger following based on bang for your buck. And it’s not a compromise in performance at that.
Agreed they make great balls, I've used them in the past but I just don't like the current 'B' logo, looks like an ugly big blob to me and I find it quite distracting.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agreed they make great balls, I've used them in the past but I just don't like the current 'B' logo, looks like an ugly big blob to me and I find it quite distracting.
I also find it annoying that their four top balls are all too similarly named, I can never remember which one is which. BRX, RXS, god knows.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
They are all Tour B, all you need to know is there's an X and an RX, both have an S version. ?
giphy.gif

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Durability – Although I only played three full holes on camera plus a few extra drives, you’ll have seen I played a number of shots from sand which is always an environment that can test any ball. I am pleased to say thethermoplastic urethane (TPU) cover Titleist have spent a long time formulating remained unmarked. It is hard to be subjective on such a limited test but if we take the sand test as a base line then it performed well. 7.5/10

Why mark it so low for a ball that has done nothing wrong and after your testing remains unmarked?!? Almost seems worthless to rate it .

BTW. It's very easy to be subjective ... I'm assuming you meant objective ?

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
Surprised you didn't get to try the Tour Speed as their newest offering and I think you would have found it compared closely to the Tour Soft findings you had and pushed the Pro V's especially around the green and with the wedges. I always think feel off the putter is so subjective so hard for me to comment as what I think feels nice may feel different to someone else and not what they like

I think what I was trying to get across is that for handicap golfers there is no magic product to make us better, yes the Prov1x seemed to give me the best results but at my, handicap golfers level, Tour Soft Tour Speed Z Star Q Star ERC Chrome Soft are all as good as they feel for you and it comes down to what you get an affinity to and fits your budget.

I have since played with the Tour Speed and its Ok, in my view not too dissimilar to Tour Soft

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Durability – Although I only played three full holes on camera plus a few extra drives, you’ll have seen I played a number of shots from sand which is always an environment that can test any ball. I am pleased to say thethermoplastic urethane (TPU) cover Titleist have spent a long time formulating remained unmarked. It is hard to be subjective on such a limited test but if we take the sand test as a base line then it performed well. 7.5/10

Why mark it so low for a ball that has done nothing wrong and after your testing remains unmarked?!? Almost seems worthless to rate it .

BTW. It's very easy to be subjective ... I'm assuming you meant objective ?

You make a valid point about both durability and subjective v objective. The reason I was reluctant to mark it higher was although I played around 7-10 bunker shots during the whole filming process but only three full holes and the odd drive I didn't really think the ball had been subjected to much playing. Some balls do seem to lose their colouration after a number of holes and it is as simple as not giving it enough of as a go to rate it higher

I think what I was trying to get across is that for handicap golfers there is no magic product to make us better, yes the Prov1x seemed to give me the best results but at my, handicap golfers level, Tour Soft Tour Speed Z Star Q Star ERC Chrome Soft are all as good as they feel for you and it comes down to what you get an affinity to and fits your budget.

I have since played with the Tour Speed and its Ok, in my view not too dissimilar to Tour Soft

Again I think you hit the nail on the head. for me I loved the feel around the greens and the putter and it wasn't off putting off the driver and mid-irons. I have used Pro V1 and Pro V1x in the past but do I get any benefits from a premium ball? Arguably not so I'd rather look at the next level down such as these and the others you quotes. I don't really have any true affinity when it comes to balls and although budget isn't an issue I find myself always considering am I getting value for money playing the most expensive models v the ones from £36 and cheaper and mainly the answer is no. The only time that really changes for me is in the summer when there is extra roll and the greens are firmer as the likes of the Pro V do stop well. That said, as I put in the blog I didn't think the Tour Speed was a million miles from the ProV when it came to things like pitching etc.

May be worth playing Tour Speed v Tour Soft as I've hit both and found negligible difference so may be worth looking further at why they have two balls covering one area of the market with next to nothing in terms of price etc

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What are the q stars like?

I have been playing the QStar Tours for a few weeks now. No complaints on distance, spin and greenside spin. Not as durable as Prov1 but great all round ball but they are a lower compression ball so I get a reasonable amount of wedge scuffs
Picked mine up for around £21 a doz when they had the buy 4 doz for the price of 3 doz offer.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When it comes to trying the Titleist Tour Speed it is simple for me the price kills it.

I only paid £30 a dozen for the Prov1s I have (4 for the price of 3 offer)

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just love you guys. You buy them, you lose them, I find them, I play them. Cost to me £0.00 and I get to "test" as many different types as I find.
I put test in " " because as a double digit handicapper, my swing is nowhere consistent enough for me to really appreciate the (very) subtle differences between different mid-price and upwards balls. ;)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
was given one of these to try today, TBH, i don't thing its any different to the Srixon Q star tour, felt a bit firmer off the putter and chiiping with one was quite hard def ran on further. also played a few bunker shots with it to day and by the end of 18 holes it looked like a dog had chewed it, really scuffed up, much more that the srixon.

i didn't notice any difference in distances but my mate reckoned it ran a good few yards of the driver than a Pro V

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
interesting, i'm still using them and not had a bad one yet, find them longer than the Prov1 and can stop them no problem on a full shot, they do run out a bit more on short chips.
There's always the possibility that they bought some of a poor batch, although they buy 3 or 4 dozen from different shops in different parts of the country to try and avoid getting the same batch.
But the data does show them to be significantly worse than others....
Still..if they work..(y)