Titleist Tour Speed

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Cheers for the review. Personally I think the price point kills it a bit. Only £7 cheaper than a ProV1. I think if it was £30 on a level with Q-Star Tour, they might have more of a market.
i'd agree, i get the q star tour for £24.99 from the local pro shop, wouldn't be paying £10 more for a ball thats on the face of it isn't much different.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
oh - interesting - I found one a couple of weekends ago and have cleaned off the previous owner's marking of it. The big black T was tricky to get off ;) Must take it out and give it a go.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I picked up the Z stars for £22 a dozen on Amazon, yes it was a one off but readily available for £30 a dozen.

Far too expensive RRP for the ball which completely negates the point of it. Needs to be closer to the £25/30 a dozen mark to be worthwhile.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
oh - interesting - I found one a couple of weekends ago and have cleaned off the previous owner's marking of it. The big black T was tricky to get off ;) Must take it out and give it a go.
That's the Tour Soft, not the Tour Speed.

I do think Titleist have way too many balls out these days, I don't know how long it would take to try them all let alone choose a preference. They've got ProV1, ProV1x, now ProV1 'Left Dash' as well. :confused: AVX as an alternative to them so that's four premium balls. Then Tour Speed, Tour Soft at the slightly lower price, and Velocity and TruFeel as the cheaper ones (that are not even that cheap anymore). I just think it's mad to have eight balls on the go. Is there really enough intricate differences to warrant that many? It just puts me off really.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Cheers for the review. Personally I think the price point kills it a bit. Only £7 cheaper than a ProV1. I think if it was £30 on a level with Q-Star Tour, they might have more of a market.
I get your point and although the RRP is £40 I've already seen them at £36 and possibly even lower online somewhere (although not checked)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I get your point and although the RRP is £40 I've already seen them at £36 and possibly even lower online somewhere (although not checked)
£35 at Clubhouse is what I was basing it on. But as others have said, I'd see it as more likely to be successful at £30 or lower. If you're paying £35-36 for a ball you might as well go a couple of quid extra for a ProV as there's not much of a saving there. I'd have thought the market is people who want a premium-type ball, three piece urethane, but maybe don't want to pay top dollar or don't have the fastest swing - most people would go for Q-Star Tour or similar for £30 though then wouldn't they? Or even the Inesis Tour 900 which is £23 these days. Those are the rivals for this sort of ball, but I suppose with Titleist they assume people will pay a little more for the name.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
£35 at Clubhouse is what I was basing it on. But as others have said, I'd see it as more likely to be successful at £30 or lower. If you're paying £35-36 for a ball you might as well go a couple of quid extra for a ProV as there's not much of a saving there. I'd have thought the market is people who want a premium-type ball, three piece urethane, but maybe don't want to pay top dollar or don't have the fastest swing - most people would go for Q-Star Tour or similar for £30 though then wouldn't they? Or even the Inesis Tour 900 which is £23 these days. Those are the rivals for this sort of ball, but I suppose with Titleist they assume people will pay a little more for the name.
i'd imagine they would sell a hell of a lot more if it where £30 or just under, like you say why not pay a few quid more and just get the Prov??

in saying that all their better balls are over priced, well thats just us paying for th 6 dozen Prov1 given to everyone on tour every month

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
i'd imagine they would sell a hell of a lot more if it where £30 or just under, like you say why not pay a few quid more and just get the Prov??

in saying that all their better balls are over priced, well thats just us paying for th 6 dozen Prov1 given to everyone on tour every month
Yeah definitely. Even their lower price balls have crept up. As I've mentioned before I was playing Velocity for a long time, but they used to be £20-22, now the new version is £25-26. I remember the DT TruSoft I think it was, was £20, now it's a rebrand as the TruFeel and it's £22-23 and that's the cheapest ball they do. Four premium balls all at £42, it's a bit much.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
What are the q stars like?

pretty good, nice to putt with, stooped fine on full shots, though i do find the run out a bit more on chips and B and runs. very white and stay that way longer than a prov1 and don't scuff as much. feels nice of the clubface on irons.

there are two the q star and the q star tour its the tour i've been using

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anyone know what the point is of the AVX? Especially as they're the same price as prov's.

Not sure id go for the tour speed when you can find deals on zstars, bridestones & chrome softs at certain times of the year.

LegendOle

Medal Winner
Visit site
pretty good, nice to putt with, stooped fine on full shots, though i do find the run out a bit more on chips and B and runs. very white and stay that way longer than a prov1 and don't scuff as much. feels nice of the clubface on irons.

there are two the q star and the q star tour its the tour i've been using

Picked up a new box of 12 Q star Tours today on ebay for £25 delivered.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Anyone know what the point is of the AVX? Especially as they're the same price as prov's.

Not sure id go for the tour speed when you can find deals on zstars, bridestones & chrome softs at certain times of the year.

According to Titleist;

AVX is a premium performance golf ball for golfers who prioritise distance and extremely soft feel with a piercing, low ball flight.

For golfers looking to shoot their best scores, the Titleist® Pro V1® golf ball provides total performance from tee to green with penetrating flight and very soft feel.

For golfers looking to shoot their best scores, the Titleist® Pro V1x® golf ball provides total performance from tee to green with high trajectory and soft feel.

Pro V1x Left Dash golf balls are designed for players seeking a high flight similar to Pro V1x with dramatically lower full swing spin and firmer feel.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
That's the Tour Soft, not the Tour Speed.

I do think Titleist have way too many balls out these days, I don't know how long it would take to try them all let alone choose a preference. They've got ProV1, ProV1x, now ProV1 'Left Dash' as well. :confused: AVX as an alternative to them so that's four premium balls. Then Tour Speed, Tour Soft at the slightly lower price, and Velocity and TruFeel as the cheaper ones (that are not even that cheap anymore). I just think it's mad to have eight balls on the go. Is there really enough intricate differences to warrant that many? It just puts me off really.
doh - must have stripped off too much paint...;) Pro V1s, Pro V1xs or AVXs - not that bothered - any of the aforementioned do me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Several points from my own testing and perspective

These seem to be designed to clearly sit below the 3 premium balls (Pro V Pro Vx and AVX) and give a lower flight than other balls on the range (Tour Soft etc). In my opinion, there is a significant price gap if you look around and at £35 they are £7-£10 cheaper than the top three balls. It is a good ball and I thought around the green that it is particularly hard to tell the difference between the Tour Speed and the premium offerings.

With regards the Srixons and in particular the Q Star Tour, this ball seems to be a similar offering and designed to sit behind the Z Star and Z Star XV. I am in the process of planning a review of the Q Star Tour as a stand alone review so I'll come back and give you my thought (although I have to say I wasn't overly impressed with the one I tried and hit but I'll go in with a clean slate)

It might then be interesting to do another with a head to head of the Tour Speed and Q Star Tour and see which wins in terms of distance, and playability around the greens (given the variables I'll put on the shots as a 12 handicapper)