titleist ap 1 48° w1 or vokey 48° wedge

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
so i have a bit of a gap in my bag between wedges and considering swapping out my 60° for a 48° as for my level my 56° can do the job i need when i need height and i rarely use the 60 nowadays

the reason im looking at a 48° is for full shots around the 100-105 yard mark......

my distances and lofts go 9i 42°(126), pw 44°(114), cleveland 52°(90) i have tried dialling it in, gripping down etc but i would rather leave it to the loft and general swing than my judgement so more i think about it getting that gap filled for the 60 makes sense....

given its for full shots im leaning more towards the ap1 w1 but wondering others thoughts? theyre pretty much same price

m10johnson

Head Pro
Visit site
As a general rule, I've only seen skilled players using a vokey wedge rather than a specific PW, in this case AP1. The AP1 will give you far more control (forgiveness) than the wedge. The wedge would give you greater spin, but you need to be hitting the center often or the results won't be worth it.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah that was my thinking- with the foremost golf voucher was getting a vokey for £80 but can get the wedge similar.

In my current set up have stock steel regular shafts- guessing I should keep the same for consistency? Have option of stiff or regular shafts.

In my driver and hybrid have stiff shafts

m10johnson

Head Pro
Visit site
It's not so much for consistency, it's just going to give you more margin for error using the AP1 PW. Having stiff woods and regular irons is uncommon. If you're swing is consistent, it should give you a tighter dispersion.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
so i have a bit of a gap in my bag between wedges and considering swapping out my 60° for a 48° as for my level my 56° can do the job i need when i need height and i rarely use the 60 nowadays

the reason im looking at a 48° is for full shots around the 100-105 yard mark......

my distances and lofts go 9i 42°(126), pw 44°(114), cleveland 52°(90) i have tried dialling it in, gripping down etc but i would rather leave it to the loft and general swing than my judgement so more i think about it getting that gap filled for the 60 makes sense....

given its for full shots im leaning more towards the ap1 w1 but wondering others thoughts? theyre pretty much same price

Is that a typo, or do you really only have a 2° gap between 9i and PW.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site

I have AP1s as well and bought both the gap wedges (48 and 52) and a 56 vokey sand wedge. My distances look similar to yours and I find with that setup I have plenty of choice when I need it. I don't feel the need to have a 60 degree Lob wedge in the bag. The feel of the vokeys is different to the AP1s. They do feel 'better' whatever that really means when you hit a sweet strike. The 48 AP1 I find a nice compromise of loft and bounce and it has become my goto wedge when I don't need to get the ball up in the air fast and stop quickly. The 52 I sometimes use for full shots but mostly it is for 1/2 or 3/4 shots, and same with the 56.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Region yeah sorry meant 40*

Ian yeah the 52* would maybe be my natural progression but the other halfs already moaning about my golfing purchases as it's been a lot recently so the Cleveland will probably stay in the bag until Christmas.

Is your wedge a regular steel shaft?

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Managed to get the ap1 48* wedge on snainton for £66.50 delivered(5% voucher code)- cheapest I could find it so decent deal