Wedge bender..

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Quick question

I currently have three RTX 3 Wedges.

50, 56 ad 60

My PW is a standard Srixon 765 pw and is 46 degree. Now whilst a 4 degree gap between PW and my 50 might not seem enough, in real terms that equates to a big old gap in distance.

For example my yardages are roughly

7i - 165 ish
8 - 150 ish
9i - 140 ish
pw -130 ish
50 degree - never more than 110
56 - rarely use for full shots
60 - as above

I have always spun the bejesus out of actual wedges and despite many a lesson etc, i am resigned to knowing my 50 will not close that gap.

I am now looking at bending the 50 to 48, and 56 to around 55 and leaving the 60 as is.

Bounce on all my wedges is approx 10 degree (Cleveland two dots)

I play on a moorland course and the turn is generally quite firm in comparison to a muddy parkland. Im general a small divot taker, but bad shot is a fat..

My question is really. Will i miss that extra 2 degree bounce on my 50 degree? Will i even notice?

Thanks

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As above, gapping seems alright. Have you tried hitting a full swing PW but with you gripping further down? Can you not make it go 120-odd doing that?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Gapping means nothing if the clubs don’t hit the correct yardage.
It’s a big gap from 130/110yds and you do need to adress it.
If you strengthen your wedges you lose the bounce so 10 bounce becomes 8 .
Not good if your bad one is a fat.
You could weaken your PW to 47 and gap to 49 and you would close the gap a little.
I moved my 52 to 50 this year for exactly the reason posted and leading edge is on the ground but I like that.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your loft gapping sounds ok already. Is the shaft length massively different between your pw and 50?

Pretty standard i think tbh pal

Gapping is ok except that 20 yard one between pw and 50.

If its windy (and it always bloody is at my gaff...) then the 50 degree is well capable of dropping out the sky <100 yards or so.

Just feels to big a gap to manufacture a shot from. Especially with my skill levels or lack of them

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interestingly

Just browsing the RTX3 48 degree wedges online and they all have 8 degree of bounce. Makes me wonder if they were all the same head just bent stronger during the manufacturing process.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Gapping means nothing if the clubs don’t hit the correct yardage.
It’s a big gap from 130/110yds and you do need to adress it.
If you strengthen your wedges you lose the bounce so 10 bounce becomes 8 .
Not good if your bad one is a fat.
You could weaken your PW to 47 and gap to 49 and you would close the gap a little.
I moved my 52 to 50 this year for exactly the reason posted and leading edge is on the ground but I like that.

Thats my only concern

I dont personally think i will notice a small 2 degree difference. However i soon will if i start duffing more shots.

Suppose i can just get it bent back again. 5 minute job

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have you had the loft of your 50 checked?

Ive not actually Bob no. Good shout i will do that.

Its newish, but get that you sometimes get a dodgy loft even when new

Though i have always hit actual wedges (vokey, 588, Mack Daddys etc) very high indeed. Im talking Jason Day high

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had exactly the same problem mate.. even the same lofts/yardages..
I eventually bought a 48* Vokey, Waste of money tbh. It gives A tad more distance, I can eek maybe 115 out of it which still leaves a sizeable gap but I don’t like hitting full wedge shots anyway..
So I still have the original problem and I apologise that this post has been no help to you whatsoever 😎

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
If you subtract loft you'll lose bounce too.

So you'll lose 2 degrees of bounce on the 50 and 1 degree of bounce in the 56. Just so you are aware.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you have the True Temper shaft or the Nippon shaft in the Srixon and what flex.

The difference may well be from the shaft difference and it may be better to source a Srixon AW (51 degree) as a better match or change the shaft in the RTX.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I used to have trouble with gapping between my pw and my 52 gap wedge. The answer was to install the same DG x100 shaft I use in my irons to my wedges, instantly i could now hit the gap wedge an extra 10 yards carry on a lower trajectory which helped my gapping

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you have the True Temper shaft or the Nippon shaft in the Srixon and what flex.

The difference may well be from the shaft difference and it may be better to source a Srixon AW (51 degree) as a better match or change the shaft in the RTX.

Shafts are all TT wedge flex. Must admit I don’t know if that’s stiff or reg?

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks all

I think I’ll just bend them and see what happens

Looked for 765 gap wedges and 48 degree RTX and they are rare as.

Can’t be bothered spending a fortune as my bent 50 will essentially be the same club as the 48/08 wedges I’ve seen. Albeit half an inch shorter.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Shafts are all TT wedge flex. Must admit I don’t know if that’s stiff or reg?

I was referring to what shafts your Srixon have.

Wedge flex can vary between manufacturers with Cleveland and Vokey best I can tell
it is an S300 shaft original length 37 (this was once a 9 iron shaft but is common to find as a wedge shaft these days).

If your Srixon use TTDG then to tell is there is any difference in the 46 look at the distance of the first taper to the hosel compared to the Cleveland , the 46 should be at least half an inch longer (assuming you have S300) if you have R300 in the Srixon than that is where the difference in distance is coming from.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was referring to what shafts your Srixon have.

Wedge flex can vary between manufacturers with Cleveland and Vokey best I can tell
it is an S300 shaft original length 37 (this was once a 9 iron shaft but is common to find as a wedge shaft these days).

If your Srixon use TTDG then to tell is there is any difference in the 46 look at the distance of the first taper to the hosel compared to the Cleveland , the 46 should be at least half an inch longer (assuming you have S300) if you have R300 in the Srixon than that is where the difference in distance is coming from.

Getcha

Nippon modus 3 120’s stiffs in the Srixons