Tips to stop bag/club rub on graphite shafts

Crawley1981

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Anyone able to help with this. Steel irons seem fine but all my woods really badly effected by club rub. Had current bag about a year and had never really noticed this to be a problem before.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Either; put something over the part of the bag that's rubbing on the shaft - my elegant solution is duct tape, or if your club has a head over with a sock part, make sure you push the sock down lower than where the shaft is rubbing on th bag - I do this as well.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have put some plastic electrical insulation tape over the damaged spot on the shafts.
My shafts are black at that point and you hardly notice the black tape I have used.

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have put some plastic electrical insulation tape over the damaged spot on the shafts.
My shafts are black at that point and you hardly notice the black tape I have used.

Same here.
I put tape on my graphite shafts from new.
Just renewed it a few weeks ago, the shafts were as new under the tape.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Similar to the other suggestions

a) use better headvovers, these boxing glove ones that Taylormade and Callaway have been using recently are utter utter ***** and not fit for purpose
b) Usually you will see that the cuff of the bag will have worn through and the frame of it is showing, like Region my bag is a duct tape masterpiece, golf bags are bloody expensive so I'm not buying a new one unless absolutely necessary

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
a guy in our group has a bit of tape on all his clubs, looks strange.

i wouldn't bother myself its only a bit of paint wear and wouldn't effect the performance

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
This is an old thread but it addresses exactly the question I was pondering.

On my G425 'woods' I've a bit of paint rub-off due to bag dividers, and was wondering if I could simply wrap a bit of tape or if there were other approaches.

I'll note though that with a previous driver though I noticed that the shaft itself was being worn down a little I didn't bother doing anything - until it snapped at the worn point.

A bit of insulating tape or duct tape it'll be then.

Mandofred

Visit site
I've used tape before...it works. I've also used moleskin and put some in the needed areas....sometimes it stays on, sometimes it doesn't.

D

Deleted member 23270

Buy some of that furry material from a fabric shop and a can of contact adhesive. Cut to size and stick on your bag, job done.

batchworth

Visit site
I carry all year round but as a result I do suffer a bit from club shafts rubbing on the bag (and wearing the protective foam away on that part of the bag. I recently put a bit of pipe insulation foam on the part of the bag that was effected (held on by some cable ties). So far so good

sjw

Visit site
The only way to remedy this is to put something on the bag, Shirley? Not on the club, that'd look crap, and defeat the point. Like wrapping your car in duct tape to avoid scratches to the paint!

DoubleD

Visit site
Clear Helitape would do the job. Cyclists use this to protect the vulnerable parts of the frame from rubbing or chipping.