tips for the short game. putting, chipping and bunkers

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
My tip that seems to fix any new person I play with (if they ask of course) is for putting and chipping; don’t flick at the ball. Hold your shape through the shot and trust it to work.

You can make a bigger, more controlled, movement if you don’t release the clubhead through the ball with your wrists.

Explaining it like that seems to help.
I used to use all wrists for putting and chipping and doing the above has transformed my short game just need to get my irons and driver back on track

Jon_T

Medal Winner
Visit site
A square stance and clubface
Ball 3-4in forward of centre
Deep 'divot' starting 3-4in behind the ball and at least 3in deep and a full swing.
If you open the face and try and use the bounce on hard sand you will thin it every time.

Wow, that's some divot!

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They are tough shots. I tend to try and pick it clean in compacted sand with varying degrees of success.

Will have a go of the full dig in future

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I bought, and use, a Callaway Sureout 60* club and it's improved my sand shots immensely. I planned to use it until I got better at the fundamentals of bunker play, but after finding that the club gets me out more times than not, from any lie, I've decided it's best left in the bag.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I suspect most courses will have different types of sand.
Soft fluffy sand compacted is still soft fluffy sand.
Course sand packed solid requires a much different shot.
It’s ok saying chip it off,but that will depend on the size of the lip.
Best thing as always is get onto your course and practice.
I certainly wouldn’t be taking advice off someone who admits to playing once a year,no disrespect intended.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wet rain compacted sand is the easiest of all the bunkers shots just take a wedge with enough loft for any lip (generally I use a 50 or 52) but mid to low bounce and play a standard bunker shot about 1" behind the ball ensuring you actually take some sand. The ball will also come out with a little bit more back spin.