Tips for playing in the wind?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’m also finding more club and gripping about an inch down with a 3/4 swing helps, but remember you took more club for a reason so don’t bottle it …

D

Deleted member 23270

For a right handed player.......

Throw some grass in the air, if it blows to the right then aim right and hook it back online.
If it blows to the left then aim left and slice it back onto the target.

Can't wait to hear how everyone gets on at Hayling if the wind blows ?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I played a handicap match play in a strong wing.
I was giving away about 18 shots.
On a 155 short hole into the wind with a water hazzard in front, I hit a low punchy 5 iron pin high onto the green.
Handicap guy hits a flush 9 iron and finishes 10 yards short of the water hazzard 30 yards short of the pin
I can't understand it he says I always hit a 9 iron on this hole

I normally do as well, but not off the back tee into a strong wind ...I nearly said but thought that it might make him look foolish.

Moral is select the right club and swing easy.

sunshine

Visit site
Now that's a nice little rule of thumb. I did actually think about how you could guesstimate the strength of the wind by dropping some grass from a known height, counting how long it took to hit the ground and seeing how far from you it went in that time. I'll give your little rule a shot

You also need to factor in the type of grass and how moist it is in your height calculation. Grass cut at fairway height will fall differently than long rough. If it's been raining it may be heavier. In summer the blades may become fine and dry and float around when you drop them. What about poa annua vs rye vs bermuda vs fescue? Think you need to go back to the drawing board to add some more variables to your methodology.
:whistle:

CountLippe

Visit site
Downwind - The ball is going to run on landing, so avoid leaving yourself an approach shot over a bunker.
Into the wind - You can probably land the ball on a six pence, even with mid irons, therefore allow to carry the ball further.
Crosswinds - If your shot shape means you ride the wind, its near impossible to judge the right line. Visualise the ball approaching the green from side on and allow for run. If your shape means you combat the wind you can be quite aggressive.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just realised that the good old fashioned cotton/silk handkerchief in my day used to be a great wind indicator.
You could also tuck it under your oxter when practicing [provided it did not have too many snotters on board.]
Perhaps I should reinvent it as a new golf aid .... £35 each or two for £59

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Judging wind does come from experience, I can usually tell how many clubs it is, but it's easy to work out, if you hit a club we'll on your 2nd shot on the first hole and it comes up two clubs short, it's likely to be a two club wind.

Great idea Patrick, but not a lot of use if you come up 100 yards short.....
:cry::cry::cry::oops:;)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You also need to factor in the type of grass and how moist it is in your height calculation. Grass cut at fairway height will fall differently than long rough. If it's been raining it may be heavier. In summer the blades may become fine and dry and float around when you drop them. What about poa annua vs rye vs bermuda vs fescue? Think you need to go back to the drawing board to add some more variables to your methodology.
:whistle:

Well the forecast is pretty poor this weekend, the grass is lush and wet so further testing is possible.

Regarding testing lush semi rough, vary rarely do I take on stupid shots from these areas so it’s not a factor

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm up in Scotland next weekend playing a couple of links courses. first time playing links so this thread is quite useful.

Would a particular ball make much difference. For example, I usually play Bridgestone Tour B RXS, but I have a load of Titleist AVX which are supposed to fly lower, so would I be better off playing those?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I played a handicap match play in a strong wing.
I was giving away about 18 shots.
On a 155 short hole into the wind with a water hazzard in front, I hit a low punchy 5 iron pin high onto the green.
Handicap guy hits a flush 9 iron and finishes 10 yards short of the water hazzard 30 yards short of the pin
I can't understand it he says I always hit a 9 iron on this hole

I normally do as well, but not off the back tee into a strong wind ...I nearly said but thought that it might make him look foolish.

Moral is select the right club and swing easy.
If you can still hit a 5 iron 155, that's not a strong wind.
I hit mine about 180 with no wind, I regularly hit my 5 iron about 120 to greens on a windy day at my place.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That was about 40 years ago. when I could still play a bit :LOL: [3 to 4 handicap]

It was the right club for the shot envisioned that is all that matters in a strong wond.
I recall winning that hole as important as I wanted to finish the game at the 13th [near the clubhouse]
Mainly as I was busy and I did not like the guy, finished before the 13th if I recall correctly

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That was about 40 years ago. when I could still play a bit :LOL: [3 to 4 handicap]

It was the right club for the shot envisioned that is all that matters in a strong wond.
I recall winning that hole as important as I wanted to finish the game at the 13th [near the clubhouse]
Mainly as I was busy and I did not like the guy, finished before the 13th if I recall correctly
But, in those days, a 5 iron was like a modern 7 iron and the balls were rubbish!

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm up in Scotland next weekend playing a couple of links courses. first time playing links so this thread is quite useful.

Would a particular ball make much difference. For example, I usually play Bridgestone Tour B RXS, but I have a load of Titleist AVX which are supposed to fly lower, so would I be better off playing those?
If this is your first time on a windy links, you'd be better off playing with whatever old balls you have lying around, because you'll lose them ?

Larry long dog

Visit site
A pro at our club was just about to start a lesson and came over for a chat whilst I was warming up on range before heading out. Was into a strong wind (at least 2 clubs). I had my 4 wood that was going rather high. He just said to me tilt my spine towards target slightly and swing round your body (flatter I guess)…I hit the next few balls great and it worked a treat.

Not watched Bob macs vid yet but will do thanks Bob?

elmoag

Club Champion
Visit site
I went to a monty golf day once and the wind was howling. His only tip When hitting into the wind was take 2 clubs more and grip the club a little softer it has always worked for me. Think the principle is don’t try and it harder that won’t work hence the softer hands.