Tiger, Thomas and the Tampon

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichA

Visit site
I think some posters are mistaking an observation that certain behaviour is both stupid and outdated with gnashing of teeth and outrage.. I'm not going to lose sleep over this but I recognise how poor it is.
Forum basics innit. Depends whether we imagine a post being spoken in the voice of James Earl Jones or Ian Paisley.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I think some posters are mistaking an observation that certain behaviour is both stupid and outdated with gnashing of teeth and outrage.. I'm not going to lose sleep over this but I recognise how poor it is.

Well put. Sums up my wife's observation. She wasn't offended per se, but dusappointed he'd be that daft.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's crass, but doesn't surprise me.
I do look forward to Lexi Thompson giving Michelle Wie a condom (small one) saying "you hit that like a man/dick/tiger"...choose your own .

JayB

Visit site
A quick "nice drive, does your husband play?" is banter* between friends. This is a premeditated act that in my opinion is just stupid and immature and given the spotlight on him is never going to end well if seen.

* Hate this word, normally used by idiots as an excuse to act like idiots

Last edited by a moderator:

Swango1980

Visit site
He is not just taking the mick out of his mate, he is saying that females are less able than men and that is not acceptable
Is that was he was saying. That females are less able than men?

I suspect that is the context that those that criticise such actions love to assume he was meaning.

I assumed the context was "you only hit it as far as a woman Justin". I don't think that suggests women are less able, it just suggests women don't hit it quite as far as a man, generally. Now, I don't have the stats at hand, but I think that is actually true? I'd have thought Tiger has a lot of respect for the female golfers, isn't his niece on Tour as well? So it would be surprising if he was trying to send a message that females are less able than men

I'd also imagine he was taking the mick out of himself and his lack of driving distance, by deciding to time the joke when Justin failed to outdrive him.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It's schoolboy humour, I hear that kind of thing most weeks
It's cringe worthy insofar as I don't find it funny
But it's not offensive to anyone other than JT should he choose to be offended

Pin-seeker

Visit site
A quick "nice drive, does your husband play?" is banter* between friends. This is a premeditated act that in my opinion is just stupid and immature and given the spotlight on him is never going to end well if seen.

* Hate this word, normally used by idiots as an excuse to act like idiots
But isn’t that a bit homophobic? 🤔

Blimey I don’t know what I should or shouldn’t be offended by these days

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Haven’t googled it but I’m sure as day that average LPGA driver distances are less than the PGA average distances.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I am male, not that it makes any difference. I am not 'offended' but that doesn't make me know that it is unacceptable behaviour. You don't have to be offended to know things are wrong
I’m just trying to get more on your perspective but if you want to be grumpy, I’ll not bother trying.

Crumplezone

Visit site
Can't imagine turning down a round of golf with someone because their sense of humour didn't match mine.

I can. That's why I have no interest in joining a club or playing with random people. I certainly couldn't stand 4 hours of racism, sexism or homophobia which many people like to make jokes about. I suspect a lot of men play golf because they enjoy the 'banter' aspect. Which seems to largely consists of taking the p*ss and insulting each other in a totally unamusing fashion. As this incident and many of the posts on this thread seem to confirm. In this case, as high profile professionals they should no better than to indulge in jokes that could be construed as sexist and/or offensive in public. What ever 'amusing banter' they indulge in in private is their own business. Though they better be careful who's around lest they get a hard kick in the plums.

Swango1980

Visit site
I can. That's why I have no interest in joining a club or playing with random people. I certainly couldn't stand 4 hours of racism, sexism or homophobia which many people like to make jokes about. I suspect a lot of men play golf because they enjoy the 'banter' aspect. Which seems to largely consists of taking the p*ss and insulting each other in a totally unamusing fashion. As this incident and many of the posts on this thread seem to confirm. In this case, as high profile professionals they should no better than to indulge in jokes that could be construed as sexist and/or offensive in public. What ever 'amusing banter' they indulge in in private is their own business. Though they better be careful who's around lest they get a hard kick in the plums.

Nothing like using an offensive stereotype when trying to criticise an offensive stereotype.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Well I showed my missus the clip and picture and she thought it was amusing and said those offended by it need to get a grip. I consider her a pretty good barometer on things like this.

It was puerile but most jokes between male friends are.

Edit. It was clearly meant to be a little joke between them as well. It's not like he made a big song and dance about it on the tee in front of the crowd.

Crumplezone

Visit site
It's this kind of uproar that made me give up 99% of social media apps. Everyone is offended by everything these days and is happy to share their views on it.

No, everyone isn't offended by everything. Mainly stuff that actually is offensive and denigrates other people and groups. Which social media is full of.

Status
Not open for further replies.