Tiger, Thomas and the Tampon

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Where have I said or inferred anyone’s opinion is inferior to mine?
I’m pretty sure I’ve said that every is entitled to their opinion on this, be that funny, offensive etc.

You said there is some seriously short sighted opinions in here, If that’s not saying other peoples opinions aren’t inferior to your own or doesn’t match your own views then I’m not sure what you’re meaning.

Albo

Visit site
You said there is some seriously short sighted opinions in here, If that’s not saying other peoples opinions aren’t inferior to your own or doesn’t match your own views then I’m not sure what you’re meaning.
Unless my meaning of short sighted differs from yours and it may, what I was meaning by that particular comment, was there are a lot of opinions in here which are lacking foresight, and that foresight is in relation to them not seeing how Tigers “joke” would be seen by some.
I don’t think that is saying that my opinion is better or indeed theirs are inferior.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My final take from this is that some of the best comedians still performing make controversial jokes.

Fortunately it seems that the general population contains less fun sponges than these pages now do.

I hope the whiteknights wear earplugs at H4H this year or they'll be in a right mess.

i think Dave that a large number of people are best off staying well away from golf meetings or probably golf clubs in general or they will spend their lives being offended.

The joke at the heart of this is plain and simple - an "old timer" with a well worn and abused body outdrove a young, high ranked long hitter. The context of being a girl is not sexist just being used as a metaphor for being a short hitter - and nobody can dispite the facts that fremales hit it shorter distances and are less strong than men (biological and irrefutable). The offended club on here is growing by the week

Swango1980

Visit site
Taking your points in turn;
No it’s not funny, much like what he did in this instance with JT, not funny 👍

I’d suggest at no point do all jokes need to be written or said literally, people should, in my opinion, have a think before they write or say a joke and ensure what they are about to write or say is really what they want to write or say.

I was very careful in my last post not to call anyone sexist or misogynistic, I said people, you included, were coming across that way, as is Tiger and JT. If you don’t wish to be seen as coming across as sexist or misogynistic, you should cease defending jokes which are sexist and misogynistic
OK, so we will both agree that coming across as sexist or misogynistic is not a compliment.

So, if there is ever a discussion about such a "joke", and whether it is right or wrong or somewhere in between, how exactly do you think we should go about that? If you assume that nobody wants to be classed as sexist, then are you saying there are only 2 options:

1. If anyone chooses to comment, they must have the same opinion as yours
  2. If they do not have the same opinion as yours, just stay quiet
Otherwise, anyone with your opinion can just throw out accusations of misogyny to anyone with a different opinion. It could be miles from the truth, but convenient and a quick win for people like you to use.

Albo

Visit site
OK, so we will both agree that coming across as sexist or misogynistic is not a compliment.

So, if there is ever a discussion about such a "joke", and whether it is right or wrong or somewhere in between, how exactly do you think we should go about that? If you assume that nobody wants to be classed as sexist, then are you saying there are only 2 options:

1. If anyone chooses to comment, they must have the same opinion as yours
  2. If they do not have the same opinion as yours, just stay quiet
Otherwise, anyone with your opinion can just throw out accusations of misogyny to anyone with a different opinion. It could be miles from the truth, but convenient and a quick win for people like you to use.
I think we do agree that coming across as sexist or misogynistic is most definitely not a compliment, yes.

Again, if you don’t want to come across as sexist or misogynistic, don’t defend sexist or misogynistic content. I’m not sure how that’s hard to figure out.

If you do defend sexist and misogynistic content, then you run the risk of coming across as sexist or misogynistic.

In this case, you don’t think the joke is sexist or misogynistic, I do. Therefore to me, at least, you are coming across as sexist and misogynistic. To you, I am guessing you don’t come across as sexist or misogynistic.
I’m not sure what you want from this interchange?
You are coming across as sexist and misogynistic. You may disagree, I’m not bothered a tap if you do.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Taking your points in turn;
No it’s not funny, much like what he did in this instance with JT, not funny 👍

I think what you meant to say was that you didn't find it funny. Just because you think that it wasn't funny doesn't mean that you are correct. Personally I thought The Office wasn't funny but accept that others found it hilarious.

Albo

Visit site
I think what you meant to say was that you didn't find it funny. Just because you think that it wasn't funny doesn't mean that you are correct. Personally I thought The Office wasn't funny but accept that others found it hilarious.
You’re absolutely right, I really ought to qualify what I meant, it’s not like someone saying something which gets taken the wrong way might be a cause for discussion now is it.

Off you pop

Status
Not open for further replies.