Tiger, Thomas and the Tampon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For a guy that is often thought to be ultra competitive, and perhaps lacking any sort of personality on the golf course, I'm going to say fair play to Tiger. The fact it was premeditated shows that he actually planned ahead to have a bit of a laugh with his mate on the golf course. He isn't all serious when playing golf after all. The fact that other people don't like it doesn't matter really matter, it wasn't meant for them. Some people must have a very high opinion of themselves if they think the rest of the world would all love to see and hear the jokes they have with their own mates. So called "in jokes" can often be hilarious between 2 people, but bizarre to anyone else who happens to hear them.

I'm intrigued to hear so many people say "it doesn't offend me", but then spend ages expressing their outrage on the incident. If it isn't offense, what is it that triggers such a reaction? Are you offended on behalf of women? Do you just not like Tiger, and so any chance you get you'll give your two pennies worth? Are you on the LIV side of the PGAT v LIV debate, and so any negativity surrounding PGAT is jumped on?

What if Tiger handed JT some Werther Originals or something obviously suggesting he was old and decrepit, would that have been OK? Or would that be ageist and also a disgrace? Earlier I heard someone suggest he should have given him a protein bar. But, that would suggest he is weak physically, so is that not discriminating against physically weak people? It seemed blatantly obvious to me that the subject of the joke wasn't to make the point females are less able than men. The subject of the joke was JT and Tiger himself, by referencing lack of distance. And, it is a fair statement that women hit it less far as men. It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, or a secret finally revealed.

Of course, if it is sexist, we should point the finger at the authorities in control of handicapping. Golf course ratings are specific to men and women, with the idea than women hit is less far than men. What an absolute disgrace by the authorities, they really ought to get with the times. That may have been true 40 years ago, but today......

PS. I'm not having a go and any individuals, after all, everyone feels how they feel on certain subjects. Just trying to challenge some of the arguments seemingly being made in the debate.

Everything that needs to be said has already been said, and plenty that didn’t need to be said either. However, seeing you took a couple of hours to bang out that lengthy post, I’ll reply.

I don’t think there is any real outrage or huge offence. Not that I’ve seen, anyway. I would categorise what Tiger did as being part of the everyday casual sexism that is part of society, and it’s something that society would be better off without it. Like so many things that have gone before that used to be used to insult people (like the word “gay” for example, or words used to describe someone of limited intellect or with learning difficulties, that I won’t post here) particularly among friends, I won’t miss it when men stop using the notion of being a woman as an insult either. This kind of banter belongs in the era of “lads mags”, which are also thankfully a thing of the past.

Doesn’t mean I’m angry, or offended, or outraged. I just don’t think what Tiger did was right, even though I respect it was meant as a harmless joke. He’s apologised, and rightly so, and that’s that.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Everything that needs to be said has already been said, and plenty that didn’t need to be said either. However, seeing you took a couple of hours to bang out that lengthy post, I’ll reply.

I don’t think there is any real outrage or huge offence. Not that I’ve seen, anyway. I would categorise what Tiger did as being part of the everyday casual sexism that is part of society, and it’s something that society would be better off without it. Like so many things that have gone before that used to be used to insult people (like the word “gay” for example, or words used to describe someone of limited intellect or with learning difficulties, that I won’t post here) particularly among friends, I won’t miss it when men stop using the notion of being a woman as an insult either. This kind of banter belongs in the era of “lads mags”, which are also thankfully a thing of the past.

Doesn’t mean I’m angry, or offended, or outraged. I just don’t think what Tiger did was right, even though I respect it was meant as a harmless joke. He’s apologised, and rightly so, and that’s that.
Which all goes to prove that dinosaurs haven't really gone extinct.. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

LizAig

Visit site
The main story on my Sky Sports feed is currently about Tiger handing Thomas a tampon after outdriving him. Both walked off laughing. I heard a comment from someone saying the act “denigrated women”.

Is this worth the coverage it’s attracting? Are women offended?

I doubt many women would admit if there were offended because women who have said there were offended have copped a load of abuse! For me it’s just another eye roll moment and part of the casual sexism that is common in golf!

Swango1980

Visit site

Appreciate the point of view, and I do see the angle you are coming from. However, I still don't see how it is truly offensive to women. Are they truly upset about their lack of driving distance, or strength, in general to men? Regardless of that, they are equally capable of playing golf.

I'm obviously not suprised by the reaction. Given the reaction Souness got when he innocently said "it's a mans game" when discussing a physical encounter between 2 teams. Given there is no longer a Man of the Match, now Player of the Match. I watched a documentary on WW1 and thet mentioned No Mans Land, I wondered at what point the history books will be rewritten to call it No Persons Land.

I hear plenty of Irish jokes in my time. I generally find them funny, some are rubbish, but either way I feel zero offence as it is all a bit of fun. Maybe a small number of Irish people do get upset. I can't wait for the day English people, for example, get angry with these jokes on my behalf, and tell other English people they are not acceptable. :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 31467

Good Lord, women will soon be offended that they play from the red tees because they don't hit it as far as men. Stick them off the whites......level playing field!

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Appreciate the point of view, and I do see the angle you are coming from. However, I still don't see how it is truly offensive to women. Are they truly upset about their lack of driving distance, or strength, in general to men? Regardless of that, they are equally capable of playing golf.

I'm obviously not suprised by the reaction. Given the reaction Souness got when he innocently said "it's a mans game" when discussing a physical encounter between 2 teams. Given there is no longer a Man of the Match, now Player of the Match. I watched a documentary on WW1 and thet mentioned No Mans Land, I wondered at what point the history books will be rewritten to call it No Persons Land.

I hear plenty of Irish jokes in my time. I generally find them funny, some are rubbish, but either way I feel zero offence as it is all a bit of fun. Maybe a small number of Irish people do get upset. I can't wait for the day English people, for example, get angry with these jokes on my behalf, and tell other English people they are not acceptable. :)

I can’t help you with that, you’d have to ask the group of people that are very offended (not that I’ve seen any) and more generally women on your point about whether they are bothered about not being as strong as men.

Again, seems to be those with a chip on their shoulder about their right to offend that are looking for a fight where there isn’t one to be had.

It’s really basic, it’s casual sexism because it’s using being a woman as an insult, even if it was in joke form. A tampon has nothing to do with golf, or strength. Casual sexism isn’t good, can’t believe anyone thinks it is, and whether you think the joke is funny is up to you. I think it’s dull, others think it’s hilarious. There’s room to think it’s both funny and inappropriate. Comedy often is. Tiger probably not the person that should be pushing those boundaries though.

Swango1980

Visit site
I can’t help you with that, you’d have to ask the group of people that are very offended (not that I’ve seen any) and more generally women on your point about whether they are bothered about not being as strong as men.

Again, seems to be those with a chip on their shoulder about their right to offend that are looking for a fight where there isn’t one to be had.

It’s really basic, it’s casual sexism because it’s using being a woman as an insult, even if it was in joke form. A tampon has nothing to do with golf, or strength. Casual sexism isn’t good, can’t believe anyone thinks it is, and whether you think the joke is funny is up to you. I think it’s dull, others think it’s hilarious. There’s room to think it’s both funny and inappropriate. Comedy often is. Tiger probably not the person that should be pushing those boundaries though.
Although, who is to judge what boundaries Tiger pushes between friends? I certainly don't have the right to tell you what jokes are permitted with your mates. Your mates will decide what the boundaries are.

Of course, if Tiger decided to incorporate this within a stand up routine to the general public, then I would definitely understand people choosing not to attend, by not finding it very funny.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Although, who is to judge what boundaries Tiger pushes between friends? I certainly don't have the right to tell you what jokes are permitted with your mates. Your mates will decide what the boundaries are.

Of course, if Tiger decided to incorporate this within a stand up routine to the general public, then I would definitely understand people choosing not to attend, by not finding it very funny.

Yes, a private joke between him, JT and the whole world.

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes, a private joke between him, JT and the whole world.

Well it wasn’t supposed to be with the whole word but as with the media we all find out

I guess there are many “jokes” between lots of players in many sports

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well it wasn’t supposed to be with the whole word but as with the media we all find out

I guess there are many “jokes” between lots of players in many sports

I don’t doubt it, pretty dopey to think this would stay private though. Unless…. He’s done it lots of times before and never been caught out?! Maybe he has…..

There’s a reason footballers always cover their mouths when speaking on camera!

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nice to see Tiger has a personality. He has certainly gone up in my book from the non personality golf genius that he was. Anyone offended by this, and there are many, needs to have a look at the wider world

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I believe all electric trolleys are equipped with tampon holders
Oh come on fella... let us know what you meant.... (LP is hanging on this) I know how I read it & thought it quite smart but I believe it went over the heads of many.... do tell!!

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Nice to see Tiger has a personality. He has certainly gone up in my book from the non personality golf genius that he was. Anyone offended by this, and there are many, needs to have a look at the wider world
Quite the opposite, as I said earlier in the thread, Tiger appears not to have much sense of humour, and like Faldo before him, don;t try to be, people just cringe, like at this, though cringe is probably too light a description in this instance

Swango1980

Visit site
Quite the opposite, as I said earlier in the thread, Tiger appears not to have much sense of humour, and like Faldo before him, don;t try to be, people just cringe, like at this, though cringe is probably too light a description in this instance
Having read a lot of your posts, I chuckle when you criticise someone for not having a sense of humour :)

Status
Not open for further replies.