Tiger, Thomas and the Tampon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albo

Visit site
In all honesty it’s probably time the thread got closed down.
Some found it funny
Some didn’t
And now it’s in danger of becoming a mud slinging contest (and yes I’m very aware that I am playing a part in that)

evemccc

Visit site
Yes let’s keep all of the mud-slinging on the Liv thread

Interesting how that thread is suddenly quiet since Tampon-gate popped up

Almost as if it’s not the topic at hand that’s the issue..🤣

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
The skirt incident was in 2005, yes I had to Google it. I suspect Sorentam is embarrassed by it now, a different time. I certainly very much doubt any of the current crop of female golfers, top 20-30 for example, would do the same or would find the Tiger incident funny. It demeans them and the equality / respect they are trying to achieve. If people are bringing out historical gags to back their point :rolleyes:o_O. I'm going to watch Gold and screen shot a clip from The Sweeney............that okay?

I tried so hard to stay out of this thread, I was just posting the video because there was a more to it than just giving him a skirt.

With regards to the current Tiger incident, I think that the only person who could take offence at the "joke" was JT, it was aimed at him, and if he didn't get upset by it, then why are we all getting twisted up over it. I was watching the coverage that night and didn't notice it at all, and didn't (or wouldn't) know anything about it until it was raised on here. From my own personal perspective, I am not really offended by much of anything these days, I'm too long in the tooth and have been around the block and seen far too much. That doesn't mean I don't find jokes bad, or inappropriate, it just means I don't give a t*ss, if I don't like it for whatever reason, I'll just move on, ignore it, switch off or not bother watching the comedian again etc. In general I just won't give it traction - and yes I realize there's a certain irony given I'm now posting :).

D

Deleted member 31467

The skirt incident was in 2005, yes I had to Google it. I suspect Sorentam is embarrassed by it now, a different time. I certainly very much doubt any of the current crop of female golfers, top 20-30 for example, would do the same or would find the Tiger incident funny. It demeans them and the equality / respect they are trying to achieve. If people are bringing out historical gags to back their point :rolleyes:o_O. I'm going to watch Gold and screen shot a clip from The Sweeney............that okay?
I very much doubt Sorenstam is embarrassed by her joke, why should she be? Fred Funk laughed and embraced it. Current golfers wouldn't do the same not because it isn't funny but because of the ridiculous cancel culture we live in today.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I tried so hard to stay out of this thread, I was just posting the video because there was a more to it than just giving him a skirt.

With regards to the current Tiger incident, I think that the only person who could take offence at the "joke" was JT, it was aimed at him, and if he didn't get upset by it, then why are we all getting twisted up over it. I was watching the coverage that night and didn't notice it at all, and didn't (or wouldn't) know anything about it until it was raised on here. From my own personal perspective, I am not really offended by much of anything these days, I'm too long in the tooth and have been around the block and seen far too much. That doesn't mean I don't find jokes bad, or inappropriate, it just means I don't give a t*ss, if I don't like it for whatever reason, I'll just move on, ignore it, switch off or not bother watching the comedian again etc. In general I just won't give it traction - and yes I realize there's a certain irony given I'm now posting :).
I'm not offended by it, but I can see it is very poor. I can't agree that only JT could be offended by it, it really isn't offensive to him, the gag about it is obvious and throwaway. The negativity of the gag is about and towards female golfers. It's blatantly sexist and for a pro to be doing that in a tournament is both poor and incredibly arrogant imo. Tiget is teflon though, just add it to his file and walk on......

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I very much doubt Sorenstam is embarrassed by her joke, why should she be? Fred Funk laughed and embraced it. Current golfers wouldn't do the same not because it isn't funny but because of the ridiculous cancel culture we live in today.
I suspect she would be embarrassed now because in the intervening 18 years the world has moved on. Feel free to catch up, or not.

D

Deleted member 31467

I suspect she would be embarrassed now because in the intervening 18 years the world has moved on. Feel free to catch up, or not.
I think you're wrong. Yes the world has moved on but only a certain group of people (those beginning with W or S) are going to be offended at the weaker sex taking the mickey out of the stronger sex.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think a lot of people who are commenting on the thread need to look up the word 'offended' in the dictionary. Most people who have said the 'joke' is wrong/outdated/not funny have not said they are offended by the act. Just because people know what should and shouldn't be said or done doesn't make them offended by the act

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe Laura Davies has it right

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vid...cident-a-misread-joke-will-regret-his-actions

It’s also hard to suggest what other people are “embarrassed” by or offended by
You are right, maybe she is fine with sexist gags? Or, maybe she looks back and cringes. I don't know. If I was putting 50p on it either way though I am fairly sure where my 50p would go.

For all those not seeing the issue. Try this gag at work (work is where this happened remember), in view of plenty of people, including women. Good luck with that.

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
For a guy that is often thought to be ultra competitive, and perhaps lacking any sort of personality on the golf course, I'm going to say fair play to Tiger. The fact it was premeditated shows that he actually planned ahead to have a bit of a laugh with his mate on the golf course. He isn't all serious when playing golf after all. The fact that other people don't like it doesn't matter really matter, it wasn't meant for them. Some people must have a very high opinion of themselves if they think the rest of the world would all love to see and hear the jokes they have with their own mates. So called "in jokes" can often be hilarious between 2 people, but bizarre to anyone else who happens to hear them.

I'm intrigued to hear so many people say "it doesn't offend me", but then spend ages expressing their outrage on the incident. If it isn't offense, what is it that triggers such a reaction? Are you offended on behalf of women? Do you just not like Tiger, and so any chance you get you'll give your two pennies worth? Are you on the LIV side of the PGAT v LIV debate, and so any negativity surrounding PGAT is jumped on?

What if Tiger handed JT some Werther Originals or something obviously suggesting he was old and decrepit, would that have been OK? Or would that be ageist and also a disgrace? Earlier I heard someone suggest he should have given him a protein bar. But, that would suggest he is weak physically, so is that not discriminating against physically weak people? It seemed blatantly obvious to me that the subject of the joke wasn't to make the point females are less able than men. The subject of the joke was JT and Tiger himself, by referencing lack of distance. And, it is a fair statement that women hit it less far as men. It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, or a secret finally revealed.

Of course, if it is sexist, we should point the finger at the authorities in control of handicapping. Golf course ratings are specific to men and women, with the idea than women hit is less far than men. What an absolute disgrace by the authorities, they really ought to get with the times. That may have been true 40 years ago, but today......

PS. I'm not having a go and any individuals, after all, everyone feels how they feel on certain subjects. Just trying to challenge some of the arguments seemingly being made in the debate.

evemccc

Visit site
For a guy that is often thought to be ultra competitive, and perhaps lacking any sort of personality on the golf course, I'm going to say fair play to Tiger. The fact it was premeditated shows that he actually planned ahead to have a bit of a laugh with his mate on the golf course. He isn't all serious when playing golf after all. The fact that other people don't like it doesn't matter really matter, it wasn't meant for them. Some people must have a very high opinion of themselves if they think the rest of the world would all love to see and hear the jokes they have with their own mates. So called "in jokes" can often be hilarious between 2 people, but bizarre to anyone else who happens to hear them.

I'm intrigued to hear so many people say "it doesn't offend me", but then spend ages expressing their outrage on the incident. If it isn't offense, what is it that triggers such a reaction? Are you offended on behalf of women? Do you just not like Tiger, and so any chance you get you'll give your two pennies worth? Are you on the LIV side of the PGAT v LIV debate, and so any negativity surrounding PGAT is jumped on?

What if Tiger handed JT some Werther Originals or something obviously suggesting he was old and decrepit, would that have been OK? Or would that be ageist and also a disgrace? Earlier I heard someone suggest he should have given him a protein bar. But, that would suggest he is weak physically, so is that not discriminating against physically weak people? It seemed blatantly obvious to me that the subject of the joke wasn't to make the point females are less able than men. The subject of the joke was JT and Tiger himself, by referencing lack of distance. And, it is a fair statement that women hit it less far as men. It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, or a secret finally revealed.

Of course, if it is sexist, we should point the finger at the authorities in control of handicapping. Golf course ratings are specific to men and women, with the idea than women hit is less far than men. What an absolute disgrace by the authorities, they really ought to get with the times. That may have been true 40 years ago, but today......

PS. I'm not having a go and any individuals, after all, everyone feels how they feel on certain subjects. Just trying to challenge some of the arguments seemingly being made in the debate.

I’m not reading all that.
I'm happy for u tho. Or sorry that happened

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Yes let’s keep all of the mud-slinging on the Liv thread

Interesting how that thread is suddenly quiet since Tampon-gate popped up

Almost as if it’s not the topic at hand that’s the issue..🤣

No it’s gone quiet because someone heavily involved in the thread is on a forced 2 week holiday for incurring loads of infraction points.

Status
Not open for further replies.