Ticks

badgb21

Hacker
Visit site
It's the time of year for wearing shorts and wondered if folks had heard of or had got a tick looking for a ball in the long grass say.
We had a sign up at the club last year warning to be aware of them
They can come with some nasty diseases too, by the sound of it.

Makes me want to wear long trousers, which assume will prevent them?

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Not much of an issue for myself around the midland at golf courses at least, when I went to cornwall there were hotspots which was just thriving with them so we avoided mainly areas with deer populations and woodland /ferns which were high risk for the dogs.

I assume if your club has signs up like that you're in a hotspot.

Long trousers won't stop them, if you were particularly worried id honestly tuck my trousers in my socks before venturing into long grass. They'll happily cling to clothes or anything that passes through in their bid to find a host. So always brush yourself down after coming out of deeper grass.

They're not nice things at all, i've had a couple latched to me. If you are unfortunate seek a medical professional.

Advice to soak them in certain remedies is usually ill advised, this can cause them to react (vomit) which will be sure any disease they carry finds its way into your blood stream.

Dogma

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I always give my legs a spray with insect repellent before I head out.

Was bit by a horse fly two years ago on my ankle, which swelled up and meant I couldn't walk on it for a week!

Locky

Visit site
You can buy a small tool to remove them you just need to make sure you don't leave the head behind as this can cause infections etc

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
had loads of the things, even had one on my balls a few years ago.... that was fun.

already had a couple of small ones already,but that would be the downside of shorts wearing up here.

have dogs and live in the Highlands, so they are both covered even with stuff put on them. easy enough to get out with the right tool.

if you have deer and sheep around its hard to avoid TBH

D

Deleted member 23344

One of my regular PPs has a daughter with Lyme Disease, which is EXTREMELY nasty. She was bitten by a tick in the US years ago, but it can now be caught from ticks over here. The UK medical profession is still not up to full speed with it, but knowledge and recognition is improving. Do not pull out the tick as it leaves the harmful part behind. If a bullseye ring appears then seek medical help immediately ... that is an indicator of a Lyme Diesase tick bite.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Had one in a sub optimal below waist place a while ago. Pulled it off, probably should have tried vodka or an ice cube but just grabbed it.

It's not the head that remains, it's the jaw parts.

Not had any issues since.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't wear shorts (if you've seen my legs you'll know why) and have naively thought I'd be immune from any problems but clearly not. I haven't noticed any on clothing and have been in long grass more often than I'd like recently and we do have wild deer roaming so timely advice and I'll make sure my PP's are up to speed too especially but not exclusively those in shorts

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
had loads of the things, even had one on my balls a few years ago.... that was fun.

already had a couple of small ones already,but that would be the downside of shorts wearing up here.

have dogs and live in the Highlands, so they are both covered even with stuff put on them. easy enough to get out with the right tool.

jeez - put me right off my lunch there!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not much of an issue for myself around the midland at golf courses at least, when I went to cornwall there were hotspots which was just thriving with them so we avoided mainly areas with deer populations and woodland /ferns which were high risk for the dogs.

I assume if your club has signs up like that you're in a hotspot.

Long trousers won't stop them, if you were particularly worried id honestly tuck my trousers in my socks before venturing into long grass. They'll happily cling to clothes or anything that passes through in their bid to find a host. So always brush yourself down after coming out of deeper grass.

They're not nice things at all, i've had a couple latched to me. If you are unfortunate seek a medical professional.

Advice to soak them in certain remedies is usually ill advised, this can cause them to react (vomit) which will be sure any disease they carry finds its way into your blood stream.
yes def don't put stuff on them, as you say makes them regurgitate the contents of their stomach, much more chance of limes disease that way.

first time i ever saw them was a Bonnar Bridge playing with a mate who did bird ringing as a hobby, we were looking for his ball in the rough and he had beige chino's on, i spotted he was covered in Tiny spiders, only they were not spiders, he knew exactly what they were so we didn't go looking for a ball again during that round';)

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

Are you sure that wasn't some sort of crab? :eek:

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Don't think I ever got one playing golf, but I used to stroll through the woods a lot when I did traditional archery and remember times when I got four or five on a single day, even though I was wearing leather pants. The most important thing is to get them off you as quickly as possible, because experts say that they start spreading the bacteria that can cause lyme disease only after several hours (6 to 48, depending on who you ask). In some areas of Germany and other continental European countries they can also spread a very dangerous form of encephalitis, and if you are outdoors a lot in those areas it is recommended to get vaccinated against that, but I don't think that is a concern in the UK. I was normally able to just grab the ticks between my thumb and index finger and gently pull them out, no extra tools/gadgets/liquids etc. needed. If you want to be extra careful, desinfect the area afterwards.They also normally don't latch to your body right away, but crawl round on your clothes for a while, so in most cases it is sufficient to just check the legs of your trousers and your socks and shoes thoroughly after a round and squish the little buggers, before they get to your skin (they are quite difficult to squish, btw, make sure they are really dead or rinse them down the drain or something).

The only time I ever had any trouble with a tick was the very first time I got one, because I went to a doctor and he was an incompetent fumbling idiot who was unable to get the thing out in on piece and then had to cut the head out afterwards. After that I always pulled them out myself without any difficutlies.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I deal with ticks every day, as my cat goes in the woods at night and comes back full of them! Pulled off 10 yesterday! Occasionally they work their way on to us....The only way to safely remove them is to get a Tick Twister. See Amazon. Use the tool to slide in and twist several times in the same direction and the tick pops out easily. Do not use tweezers or any other method (Vaseline, fire, etc.) as you can’t guarantee removal.

Not many ticks carry Lymes. You have to be unlucky to contract, noting even the test for Lymes is not 100%. Some have to be retested later even after a negative result if symptoms are still there. It’s not uncommon to have bull ring mark a week later or after. This is not a sign you have Lymes, btw. See your doctor after a bite as they can test you and log the geographic area that it occurred.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I deal with ticks every day, as my cat goes in the woods at night and comes back full of them! Pulled off 10 yesterday! Occasionally they work their way on to us....The only way to safely remove them is to get a Tick Twister. See Amazon. Use the tool to slide in and twist several times in the same direction and the tick pops out easily. Do not use tweezers or any other method (Vaseline, fire, etc.) as you can’t guarantee removal.

Not many ticks carry Lymes. You have to be unlucky to contract, noting even the test for Lymes is not 100%. Some have to be retested later even after a negative result if symptoms are still there. It’s not uncommon to have bull ring mark a week later or after. This is not a sign you have Lymes, btw. See your doctor after a bite as they can test you and log the geographic area that it occurred.
the the pen style lasso type are also good esp for a wriggling puppy;)

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve had a few, most from golf. Tends to be evening golf, they don’t like the mornings. I’ve just taken them out myself with tweezers. Never had any problems.....yet.

Some fella are never bothered by them, but they seem to love my particular smell😱 Most are dead when embedded, I reckon it’s all too much effort for them, either that or I’m toxic

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I’ve had a few, most from golf. Tends to be evening golf, they don’t like the mornings. I’ve just taken them out myself with tweezers. Never had any problems.....yet.

Some fella are never bothered by them, but they seem to love my particular smell😱 Most are dead when embedded, I reckon it’s all too much effort for them, either that or I’m toxic
unless you have been wearing some chemical they don't like, like Brute 33 or Old spice, or does the wife make you wear a tick and flea collar;)