Three Day Golf Trip

Golfnut1957

Visit site
We have just returned from our annual 3-day golf trip. This year it was the Midlands, and we were based in Tewksbury, which is a lovely place to spend an evening, albeit one totally bereft of taxi's.

On the way down we stopped off and played Dudley. The infrastructure could do with some TLC, but the course was worth the effort with some challenging holes, challenging climbs and as a consequence, spectacular views of the Black Country.

Yesterday we played Fulford Heath. What a gem. Beautifully manicured, the tees, bunkers, surrounds and lightning fast green were a delight. The course has a bit of a quirky start but then turns into a real challenge with some great holes, and it was predominantly flat.

Thursday was the jewel in the crown. We played 36 holes at Cleeve Hill. What a course. For those that have played it they already know, for those that haven't I'm not eloquent enough to do it justice. Needless to say, standing on the top of the world, getting battered by wind and looking across miles and miles of barren hilltop interspersed with golf holes and seeing tiny dots in the distance which could be golfers, walkers or sheep was just mind-blowing.

The quality of the course considering it's layout and location is amazing. The Pro apologised before we set off on our first round for the length of the rough, apparently the sheep hadn't eaten their full quota this year. The weather was a bit unkind. Wind I expected, and the light shower in the morning was ok, but the afternoon turned grim with the wind, persistent rain and mist which brought visibility down to around 100 yards at times making the round a real challenge and a total lottery, it also ruined the amazing views.

A great trip and if I'm ever down that way again I would definitely make the effort to get to Cleeve Hill.

D-S

Visit site
If you enjoyed Cleeve, play Painswick next time too. Slightly nuttier version (in a good way) of Cleeve. Cotswold Hills, Stinchcombe and Lilleybrook all near by too. Not nessarily top tier, but very enjoyable on a tour.
I’d agree with this list, although if you are coming down from the north I would recommend adding Broadway at the expense of Lilleybrook (its very hilly).

Golfnut1957

Visit site
If you enjoyed Cleeve, play Painswick next time too. Slightly nuttier version (in a good way) of Cleeve. Cotswold Hills, Stinchcombe and Lilleybrook all near by too. Not nessarily top tier, but very enjoyable on a tour.
Thanks, I've just had a look, and it appears we missed a trick with Painswick, next time definitely.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I never thought I'd see Dudley as part of someone's trip, glad you enjoyed it. Some of those climbs are mental.
Yes, I thought it was an odd one too, but then again over the years we have played plenty of courses which many wouldn't give a moments thought too. Last year we played Burnley on our way across to Lancashire and that was another interesting (and hilly) course.

As for Dudley having mental climbs, they are flat compared to Kendal. If I ever go back there, I'm wearing crampons.