Three Club Tournament - What Would You Take?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was having a look at the next few month's competitions at my place and I noticed a 3 club comp in November. Never done one of them before, it sounds fun, but I'm not sure what clubs I'd take!

Initial thought was 5 wood, 7 iron, putter, but I'll be a bit screwed if I end up in a bunker. Thought maybe the 8 instead of the 7 but then the two longer par 3s will be very difficult to reach (would either be chipping on with the second shot, or trying to reach it with a three quarter 5 wood swing off the tee??). Maybe I'd be better with the hybrid over the 5 wood to reach those par threes, and sacrifice a bit of distance off the tee on the par 4s.

What would your go-to 3 club selection would be and why? Would anyone leave the putter out and putt with a wood/wedge even?? I would have to take the putter personally but two clubs from the rest of the bag is a tough choice.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Check the comp rules, most of the 3 club comps I have played in require a putter to be one of the three. Club choice is a personal and course dependent thing, funnily enough you should expect to see some good scores being returned. Enjoy its fun.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Check the comp rules, most of the 3 club comps I have played in require a putter to be one of the three. Club choice is a personal and course dependent thing, funnily enough you should expect to see some good scores being returned. Enjoy its fun.
I've only seen a brief description on the Google calendar of events, it doesn't say if the putter is compulsory or not. I'll have to wait until nearer the time when the club sec should send further details.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I won ours last year with my 4w, 8i and putter, this year it became 3 clubs and a putter so I just added my pitching wedge.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
4 hybrid , 8 iron, plus putter

This is what I went for. we played a 9 hole comp this year. I think 18 points won it. I played quite conservative. Needed a few putts to drop. Didn't get up and down twice where I would expect to make it if I was to win. Didn't happen. Came middle of the pack.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It very much depends on your course. My old course was short so 5w, 9i and putter were fine. My current course would probably need a longer iron, 8 probably, or perhaps 3 clubs plus putter to make it fair.

I love a 3 club round, great fun.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
our is 3 clubs including the putter, so the last few years ive taken a 22 deg Xhot 2 hybrid and a 52 deg. TBH around ours with 120 deep pot bunkers to contend with you need something that will get you out of those, so if you do go in one of these and only have for instance a 7 iron... you are well and truly ...ked

not sure what i'm going to do when it comes round again this year as i sold the hybrid

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is what I went for. we played a 9 hole comp this year. I think 18 points won it. I played quite conservative. Needed a few putts to drop. Didn't get up and down twice where I would expect to make it if I was to win. Didn't happen. Came middle of the pack.

I'd be confident of 30 points with those 3 clubs

4 hybrid would get me on the fairway , second shot is normally a 5w or a 4 hybrid atm , so say total 320 for them leaving me average of 80 yards.. just choke down on the 8 and then putt for bogey

Must be easier for high handicappers like me?

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played one recently but it was three plus a putter. I took 3 wood, 6 iron and 9 iron. Was happy with the choices - the 3w was essential for distance off the tee and long second shots, 9 iron is versatile enough for shorter approach shots and short game stuff, 6i in between the two and a decent club for most of the par 3s on that course.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
3 clubs plus a putter gives too much scope for a range of clubs.

For example you can have a long club, a mid iron and short iron.

3 clubs full stop means you may well be caught short somewhere and therein lies the fun and challenge.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Won ours 3 times settled on 3 wood ,8 iron and putter would think its dependent on what type of course you play,tried putting with driver one year but wasn't a success, no hard and fast rules re how many clubs think it's up to individual clubs.

I always like playing different kind of shots like a punch type shot with 3 wood, surprising what good scores come in.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
3 clubs plus a putter gives too much scope for a range of clubs.

For example you can have a long club, a mid iron and short iron.

3 clubs full stop means you may well be caught short somewhere and therein lies the fun and challenge.

For my choices, if it was 3 clubs only I'd drop the putter, take a hybrid instead of the 3w and putt with that.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For my choices, if it was 3 clubs only I'd drop the putter, take a hybrid instead of the 3w and putt with that.

A few of the low men where putting with 3 woods. Think the best was 16 points from any of them.

It really does depend on the course and how far you hit it.

I had my big hitting mate as favourite for the win. He could reach every hole off the yellow tees with 3 wood and 8 iron. Can't remember what happened to him.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Choice of clubs will be course dependent, combined with handicap.

If a putter isn't a rule then personally I would take the advantage of including my gap wedge; I practice putting with it a lot as a means to focus on the stroke and contact. The probable scoring loss would be 2-3 strokes over the putter but I would expect to make that up across the other shots.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
3 hybird (210), 9 iron (150) putter

I regularly go out to practice with 4 clubs and score within a few shots of what i do with full set.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

Choice of clubs will be course dependent, combined with handicap.

If a putter isn't a rule then personally I would take the advantage of including my gap wedge; I practice putting with it a lot as a means to focus on the stroke and contact. The probable scoring loss would be 2-3 strokes over the putter but I would expect to make that up across the other shots.

the comp we have is 3 clubs one must be the putter, so we are not allowed to use something else to putt with.

usually some pretty good scores, though the course is a bit shorter in winter. i shot 75 gross with 3 clubs last year and wasn't even in the prizes