Three Club Tournament - What Would You Take?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd go hybrid, 9i and putter and pray that I stay out of bunkers.
A 9 could get you out of the easier bunkers though.

It seems like my instincts were pretty close to what most people are saying. On reflection I'd probably take the hybrid for versatility, and an 8 iron I should think. Those two probably cover the most bases between them.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ours is 4 clubs (3 Plus putter) it's great fun. I took hybrid, 7 iron and PW last time. Came 2nd by a point with 41 points. Played quite well too

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Three clubs and a putter at ours and this is exactly what I take for ours - came top 10 last time but have won it a few years ago.

If it was just 3 clubs then I'd go 5i, PW, Putter.
5 iron seems a bit short for me. There are several par fours at mine I wouldn't be able to reach in two 5 irons.

I think one of my problems for this type of comp is that 5 iron and hybrid are my least consistent clubs. But in a way that's a good thing because if I take one of them I'll get way more practise with it than a usual round. Coincidentally the 8 iron is probably one of my favourite clubs, so if I take hybrid and 8 it'll be one from each end of the spectrum really.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
the comp we have is 3 clubs one must be the putter, so we are not allowed to use something else to putt with.

usually some pretty good scores, though the course is a bit shorter in winter. i shot 75 gross with 3 clubs last year and wasn't even in the prizes

That does make it harder. I still need something for distance so would probably be inclined keep the 3w and split the difference between my 6i and 9i with either an 8 or 7.

Although, with only two clubs I think it's probably more important to think about each hole on the course and try to pick two clubs that allow you to hit most greens in regulation.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Driver, 7i and Putter. if it was 3 clubs and a putter, I'd add my 54.
I thought about the driver because almost every par four at my course are driver holes. But that only leaves you one option for every other shot. (Unless you're a driver off the deck kind of guy...)

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
7-wood, wedge and putter for me. I won a bunch of these years back when I took a 5-wood.

Once saw a guy off 24 make a par-4 on a tough 400+ hole with four 3-woods. One off the tee, one on to the green and then he was putting with his 3-wood so he two-putted with that. Damndest thing I have ever seen on the hole.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only time I have ever lost a club head during a stroke was in a two clubs and putter competition. Head of my 3 iron came off on the tee shot of the 12th hole which left me with a 7 iron and putter.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
5 iron seems a bit short for me. There are several par fours at mine I wouldn't be able to reach in two 5 irons.

I think one of my problems for this type of comp is that 5 iron and hybrid are my least consistent clubs. But in a way that's a good thing because if I take one of them I'll get way more practise with it than a usual round. Coincidentally the 8 iron is probably one of my favourite clubs, so if I take hybrid and 8 it'll be one from each end of the spectrum really.

Don't think about getting there in two or how long you'll be off the tee on a few of the holes when you have no need to be. Use the clubs that you are most consistent with.

Long par 4 for me would still be 5i, 5i, PW, putt (possibly putt putt....), but should be a nett par. You have a handicap for a reason, use the shots you get.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't think about getting there in two or how long you'll be off the tee on a few of the holes when you have no need to be. Use the clubs that you are most consistent with.

Long par 4 for me would still be 5i, 5i, PW, putt (possibly putt putt....), but should be a nett par. You have a handicap for a reason, use the shots you get.
Good advice, but my best clubs at the moment are probably the driver and anything shorter than a 7 iron. I feel like I'd need a 5 wood or hybrid for a bit of versatility really.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Would be very dependant on whether a putter is mandatory, and indeed if it's specifically three clubs including putter or three clubs and putter. If it's the former I'd go 3H, 8I and putter. Otherwise its 5W, 7I 52W and putter

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Would be very dependant on whether a putter is mandatory, and indeed if it's specifically three clubs including putter or three clubs and putter. If it's the former I'd go 3H, 8I and putter. Otherwise its 5W, 7I 52W and putter

Doesn't your ball-retriever count as a club too? You usually need that 3-4 times a round ;)

D

Deleted member 21258

If only 3 clubs, think it would be 9 wood, 9 iron + putter.

If 3 clubs + putter, then driver, 8 iron, AW + putter