Thoughts on this ruling please.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I want to believe this is true because its seems straightforward. The only thing that is bugging me is the stance for a right handed player in area A. If he's next shot is using a PW then ideally he should lay a PW down from the edge of the path into area A. He then drops a ball and it must land in that area inside a PW length. But this doesnt gurantee that the player can address the ball whilst his feet are completely clear of the path does it? Does he repeat the drop until he satisfies both the correct distance (within a club length) and that his stance is not impeded by the path? Does he then place it if he has to?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
On side A he would take his pitching wedge in his hand, take a stance off the path as if preparing to play a stroke, then marking where the ball would be if he were making a stroke - that is the NPR on that side of the path. The NPR on the other side is where the ball is just off the path.

Having determined which is the actual NPR, he can drop within a further clublength from whichever is the NPR.

Last edited:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess this is true for a right handed player in this case? A leftie wouldnt need to worry about the stance if playing from side A. Is that correct?

If you have a visual aid to help clear this up that would be great because I'm still confused by this. Cheers.

I have tried and failed to copy and paste the diagram from the bible. Go onto either the R&A or USGA websites, go to the rules section and Decision 25 -1b/2 has diagrams for both left and right handed players.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
On side A he would take his pitching wedge in his hand, take a stance off the path as if preparing to play a stroke, then marking where the ball would be if he were making a stroke - that is the NPR on that side of the path. The NPR on the other side is where the ball is just off the path.

Having determined which is the actual NPR, he can drop within a further clublength from whichever is the NPR.

just so I am following this, in the picture below I determined what is the NPR based on measurements x and y.

I deemed y to be a shorter distance therefore player will drop ball to the right of the path (area A).

He takes a club and adresses a ball with his feet off the path. Then he is allowed a club length from the spot where the imaginary ball is?

So is dropping within a club length of the path a myth? or am i missing something?

path relief.JPG

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Sawtooth, I think you've confused yourself because you think you take 1 club length from the path.. that is not so. You get 1 club length from the NEAREST POINT OF RELIEF. Find where that is, mark it and then you get 1 clublength from there (if you want/need it)... and the ball can also roll up to two club lengths as long as it's not nearer the hole... you could potentially end up getting full relief from the tree if you drop well ;)

In the case above you are right it is measurement Y that comes into play and the drop would be taken to the right (for both a right and left handed player).

nb: I think you'll find that sometimes the width of the path comes into play, and sometimes X is closer. That's why you mark the ball then mark the nearest point of relief on either side and measure.

Last edited:

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site

Once the NPR has been determined (With the club you expect to use for the shot), you are as you say, entitled to take a drop within one further club length, but that club length can be measured with any club in the bag, so normally a driver or as seen on the tour last week a long handled putter.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Eh? I though you could use any club in the bag like you see the pro's on the telly using a driver as its the longest.

Once you've determined the nearest point of relief with the club you intend to use, then you get the club length relief; I think the ruling is pretty much covered with all the posts now. Btw sometimes it's worth taking the shortest club.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you're still not sure, this guy seems to sum it up well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Tqz8FYFfIM&feature=related

Excellent vid Bob thanks, its has reinforced what has been said on this thread. However I was totally not unaware that you can end up dropping into a bush (more trouble). So the NPR is only decided on distance and not anything to do with how much trouble there is on either side of the path?

We have a path on our course and to the right of it is a boundary wall. Theres not much room to take a stance but it could be possible but you'd be dropping into the bushes that are up against the boundary wall.

Is that just tough? are you supposed to drop it into the bush? but the other option is to play it from the path?

What if its a really bad path (in a hole) ? It may be unplayable from the path and unplayable when dropped from the NPR?

This is the last thing that needs clearing up for me.

Thanks all.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
NPR is NPR regardless of what rubbish you end up dropping in.
You could drop in a bush and it could bounce out within a couple of club lengths and you may have a shot. OR it could get lodged in the branches and you have to either play it in mid-air or take an "unplayable".
And as has been said, if you don't like the look of things, take an "unplayable" and replay the shot that got you there in the first place - only don't do it again. If you're able then playing it from the path is an option - watch out for local rules, they may say that you MUST take relief...
This is where Charlie Wi (I think) went wrong earlier this year during his 16 (or whatever). Once he'd found his ball in the woods, if he'd replayed from the tee he'd have maybe made a double. But he elected to play, then drop, then play then.......

Sometimes taking the medecine and retreating is the best course of action.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sawtooth, I think you've confused yourself because you think you take 1 club length from the path.. that is not so..

You're right thats exactly what I was thinking. :eek:

Years of playing golf and acquiring knowledge of rules as I go along from people I've played with. Some are right some not so right!!

Getting there now though, this is another one of the list.:)

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
You could drop in a bush and it could bounce out within a couple of club lengths and you may have a shot. OR it could get lodged in the branches and you have to either play it in mid-air or take an "unplayable".
And as has been said, if you don't like the look of things, take an "unplayable" and replay the shot that got you there in the first place - only don't do it again. If you're able then playing it from the path is an option - watch out for local rules, they may say that you MUST take relief...
This is where Charlie Wi (I think) went wrong earlier this year during his 16 (or whatever). Once he'd found his ball in the woods, if he'd replayed from the tee he'd have maybe made a double. But he elected to play, then drop, then play then.......

Cheers this has been an education.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Imurg, I think he replayed from the tee at least once! Agree with your point though.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
We have a path on our course and to the right of it is a boundary wall. Theres not much room to take a stance but it could be possible but you'd be dropping into the bushes that are up against the boundary wall.

Is that just tough? are you supposed to drop it into the bush? but the other option is to play it from the path?

You could drop it and play it with a narrow stance if there's room, you could drop it in the bush and then take a PENALTY drop back out of the bush or you could just play it where it lies (if you're allowed - see local rules about playing off cart path)

What if its a really bad path (in a hole) ? It may be unplayable from the path and unplayable when dropped from the NPR?

If it's a bad path (in a hole) and relief isn't mandatory you might have to go straight for a penalty drop, at least that way you can take 2 club lengths in any direction you want, I'm pretty sure you can drop it further back on the path or the better side of the path if it's in reach and play it from there.

Taking free relief isn't always necessarily the best option so don't just dive in and pick up the ball, as shown in the video it's sometimes better just to hit a putter and get the ball back into play.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fantastic video and really clears it up for people.

The rules of golf are so bloody complex at times and try to take into account every eventuality that may occur, but can be very difficult to understand at times. But learning something very simple like taking free relief is something that everyone should know. You get it from cart paths, immovable obstructions, G.U.R, sprinkler heads, burrowing animals etc etc. So many chances to get it in a round just make sure you do it correctly. My dad before he died played golf with someone who is a qualified PGA rules official. Chatting to him about hte rules is a real eye opener. He told me about one of the questions in the exam he had to do and it was horrific. I got it so badly wrong. You can see why the tour pro's have people out on the course to take advice from.