Thoughts & Advice please

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
As most will know , i admitaly know very little about club technology or any of that stuff , i have just started lessons & am giving up some distance to hopefuly gain more control .. anyhow to the question ..

My Pitching wedge is off the MP32 set so it would be about 48 * maybe (only just learned this so open to correction)

My other wedges are 56* /58*, * an old 64* lob wedge

there is too big a gap there isnt there between the pw & the 56*..? or does it come down to how open or closed etc you play the wedges

old distances would have been pw 125/130.. 56* 100/110

wont get into new distances yet :(

Any thoughts or advice would be apreciated ,

Thanks
Bill

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
You could just use your wedge 3/4 swing,that to me sounds simple enough.
To me it does seem a biggish hit with your s/w to hit 100+
A 52 degree wedge also sounds perfect to fill the gap.
Borrow one and see

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The question you have to ask yourself is do you ever have to play shots that you don't think you have the right club for?

If you're happy with any shot from 120 down with what you have now then no need to panic about it.

Yes, the lofts are spread out a bit but ultimately your bag is a set of tools, and if you have a tool to cover any eventuality then that is all that matters.

I was reading Phil Mickelson's bag line up from the Phoenix open yesterday, and his wedges were 52, 60, 64. He managed ok.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the answers guys ,

pokerjoke , im tending to go away from hitting it far to becoming more accurate (well that the plan ) might borrow a 52 an try that , thank you ..

Region .. i personaly think the weakest point of my game in is 100/120 in, but having just started lessons i think the problem ive been having is ive been trying to over hit or hit too hard the clubs i select .. maybe better loft choices might help me stop doing this .. i reckon Phil might just have a better short game than me :D

Thanks for advice

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
So your gaps are currently 8 degrees, 2 degrees and 6 degrees?

Or is that a 56 and/or a 58?
Whatever.....

Plan A
swap the 56 for a 52 and sell the 64
48, 52, 58

Plan B
Keep the 56, sell the 58 and the 64 and get a 52 and a 60
48, 52, 56, 60

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have (Had) the MP32's.

Pitching wedge is 47*. My next wedge up is a 52* then I jump to 58*.

It's very rare I find myself in a situtaion I'll struggle to get out of with one of the clubs in my bag.

Your PW has a good 15 yards on me and your 56* goes further than my 52*, but then, my swing speed is far from fast.

I've always been under the impression that wedge gaps should be between 4* and 6* apart depending whether you prefer to hit full shots into greens, or as has been said, are comfortable with half and 3/4 swings.

I've opted for the latter. In my 63's the PW is 46* so my wedges will stay the same (52* and 58*) to keep the gap at 6* between clubs. On full shots with these I have, on average, a 16 yard gap between clubs.

PW - 116
GW - 102
LW - 84

Anything under 84 yards I make up as I go along :mad:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
ive gone back to the pw, 52, 56, and 60. im only going to use the 54 when i know its going to be soggy as hell.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site

Whatever.....

Plan A
48, 52, 58

Plan B
48, 52, 56, 60

Thanks Bob, yeah i have a 56 & a 58 in the bag at the moment , that does seem a better spread il work on getin that i think ,

I have (Had) the MP32's.

Pitching wedge is 47*. My next wedge up is a 52* then I jump to 58*.

PW - 116
GW - 102
LW - 84

Anything under 84 yards I make up as I go along :mad:
Thanks Gareth, id like to think these are the kind of yardages im now going for with a more controlled swing ,
the lessons are making me see this , knowledge eh ? good & bad thing ha ha . i supose proper knowledge can only be good :D

ive gone back to the pw, 52, 56, and 60. im only going to use the 54 when i know its going to be soggy as hell.

thanks Gary seems a more sensible & more practable set up than mine ..

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Just a note on wedge play.
I gave a 9 hole playing lesson to a 12 h/cap guy and all I carried was my 50 PW.
Every time he missed a green we had a comp to get nearest with only one shot each.
He had his whole bag to choose from which included 4 wedges.
I beat him 5-1 with just one wedge.
It's not how many, it's how many :)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Whatever.....

Plan A
48, 52, 58

Plan B
48, 52, 56, 60

:eek: are you feeling ok ? ;)

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well, I'm not going to convince someone who owns a 64 to change to a 3 wedge set up.

One step at a time;)

I find the 64 very handy for greenside bunker play .. i know the 2 other options are to not hit it in the bunker or learn to use something else... :D
Definatly going to even the spread on the gaps over time tho ..

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
bp, I have a 47 deg pw in my titleist mb's, I also carry a 50 deg, it plays more like a 52 and I have a 58 deg wedge in there too.
So if you wanted to keep the options open at the other end of the bag you could go 47-52-58, I can cover all distances I need with the 3 wedges, the 58 is great for greenside bunkers, just open it up a bit to get a bit more loft. maybe something else to think about, :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
So if you wanted to keep the options open at the other end of the bag you could go 47-52-58, I can cover all distances I need with the 3 wedges, the 58 is great for greenside bunkers, just open it up a bit to get a bit more loft. maybe something else to think about,

That will be Plan A then