Thomas Pieters - Ruling

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
Visit site
Some of my putts are worse than that and I’ve never had a chance to have another go at it ?

I suppose the question is - does he always address the ball like that and then do a sort of practice swing? Or did he try to stop because of a noise or something else?

Certainly wouldn’t get away with that in a monthly medal ?

Swango1980

Visit site
I'll be waiting for some people to have practice swings like that now. And, when they genuinely make the putt, and end up short, just say it was a practice swing. Sometimes the rules help those with no integrity :)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This idea of having addressed the ball on the putting green was a pre 2019 rule. As he had no intent to hit the ball the referee applied

9.4 Ball Lifted or Moved by Player

Exception 3 – Accidental Movement on Putting Green: There is no penalty when the player accidentally causes the ball to move on the putting green (see Rule 13.1d), no matter how that happens.

13.1 Actions Allowed or Required on Putting Greens
d. When Ball or Ball-Marker Moves on Putting Green
There are two specific Rules for a ball or ball-marker that moves on the putting green.
(1) No Penalty for Accidentally Causing Ball to Move. There is no penalty if the player, opponent or another player in stroke play accidentally moves the player’s ball or ball-marker on the putting green.
The player must:
• Replace the ball on its original spot (which if not known must be estimated) (see Rule 14.2), or
• Place a ball-marker to mark that original spot.

sunshine

Visit site
Tiger had a similar “ air shot “ at the masters
Think it was a bird shadow.
Only the golfer knows if he meant to hit it.
Good luck if you were playing a match or medal at mine.

I guess the difference was that Tiger successfully missed the ball. I’ve seen Kevin Na do this too.

I think it’s the right ruling but I can imagine it causing a problem at amateur level as you say!

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Lucky it was a long putt. Reactions might be harsher if it was a three footer.

I occasionally move the ball on the green with my putter whilst I'm addressing the ball. I don't play in comps but was surprised to learn that isn't a penalty.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I guess the difference was that Tiger successfully missed the ball. I’ve seen Kevin Na do this too.

I think it’s the right ruling but I can imagine it causing a problem at amateur level as you say!
The difference is the pros are good enough to reroute most ams are not.
But Tigers better than Pieters at it.;)
The putt itself shows why you should not decelerate at impact.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Bay Hill replay of Jon Rahm's 10 inch putt that he missed, hitting it only about an inch, that he tried to stop the putter.

Rahm's 10 inch miss

“It just didn’t feel good in my hands, and I tried to stop, and I didn’t."

Swango1980

Visit site
As the rules stand he was right to replace but all I’m gonna say is my mates aren’t getting away with that rubbish!
I wonder why he was told after the round then that it should have been a penalty? I'm.assuming he was told this by rules people, and that the local ref at time was simply mistaken