This seriously worries me

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
What a stupid idea. Why are they even considering this? All this will do is encourage dirty bar stewards to look at sites that should not be allowed.

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What about all those sites that try to track you so they can build up a profile of you and then target marketing at you?

Yes people will use it to do "bad" things but so do online companies who spend huge amounts searching for customers (i.e phorm trials)

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
The internet is full of all sorts as it is jon, same as real life, banning paedos 200yds from schools only forces them elsewhere.
Having faceless companies (nevermind governments) track your every move isnt something I really fancy to be honest. Hollie, my 4 year old is already using my home pc and I have locked down youtube and any other sites I catch her on in future as she knows she is only allowed onto the likes of the cbeebies and lazytown sites. I believe if you want to keep your kids safe, protect them, not expect others to do it for you.

time_vans

Head Pro
Visit site
alas money talks .... just think what big business might be hiding from public view....can I do anything about it as an individual?...no. Yes I vote religiously but by my reckoning it hardly repesents having a say in this twisted existance. I dont worry about things that I can not change....to do so will result in insanity.

johng

Head Pro
southerndowngolfclub.co.uk
I honestly don't see what the big problem is!

There are many readily available and free programmes that will do the same job already in existence.
Individuals and groups who share a desire for the darker, illegal and frankly disturbing aspects of life already have ways of hiding their trails. I believe this will still allow th IP address to be traced - it just stops the individual pc storing the cookies + histories.

I'm quite happy with this, how many of the population own and use shredders, keep their bank PIN's safe - even from their loved ones etc? There is little difference to this.

We should be allowed to protect our privacy and if individuals break the law there are systems in place to track and prosecute them.

John.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The article says that the Apple web browser already does this so not sure that it is much of a problem.

The sick element in society will always find a way to cover their tracks and I suspect they use more advanced methods already than that proposed by Microsoft.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
The sick element in society will always find a way to cover their tracks and I suspect they use more advanced methods already than that proposed by Microsoft.

Well most of them do, unlike mr glitter who took his to pcworld for repair! Idiot.

time_vans

Head Pro
Visit site
the most bizarre thing about all the paedophiles that were caught paying for filth with their credit cards was they were rewarded with air miles for their purchases.....planes full of peado's headed for thailand on the cheap.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it seems fine. Then again, it should come with the caveat that certain words/phrases/types of material can prompt a "bug" somewhere in the system that can catch the bad guys.

f.w.i.w. I mostly approve of the "big brother" ideas that are taking over the world we live in. As controversial as it will undoubtedly be, I would support ID cards and DNA databases IF it could be 99.9% safe that those of us that live by the law and try to do the right thing are properly protected.

Trouble is (contradicting myself, maybe) we have reached a remarkable stage of non-tolerance to so many things. I went shopping yesterday to a new hyper-store, where the local council feels it is necessary to charge for parking.....I know that the owners tried (in vain) to get their allotted area free for up to 2 hours. The tills were jammed up (computer glitch) and many of us were left waiting 20 minutes to get through the check-out. Thankfully, I didn't get a ticket, but others had......at the bargain price of £60. It's described as an "excess charge"....I'd call it a FINE, NO MORE than racketeering, plain and simple.

Last time a council body tried to extort money from me, I argued that I had the right to represent myself in a court of law and that by making a different charge for paying within 7 days was actually prejudicing my right of appeal. I asked them v.v. nicely to forward my date to appear in court. It never arrived......odd that....3" of bumper outside a parking bay is hardly a £50 offence....

Oooohhh, so off topic.....sorry, rant over.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
....3" of bumper outside a parking bay is hardly a £50 offence....

ah but 3 inches in your bay, is 6 in the next until a whole bay is lost - still they could have given you yours free as they are then able to nick the whole row.

Back on topic;

I would be happier with a system that just prevented sites downloading trackers and the like. I still want to be able to clean out my system when I want, I don't want or need years of back history.