This could be a long thread........

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ive been playing for a couple of years now and progressed from 18 down to 12 and looking to get towards single this year.

I don't understand the handicap system, the difference between or point of SSS and CSS. My handicaps run through the club so never had to know.

Why I'm asking now is that I shot a net 69 recently and didn't get a cut but don't know why I didn't? Today I shot a net 70 (albeit in a stableford comp) and I'm hitting my hcp on a regular basis. What I want to understand is what I need to shoot get cut before a qualifying round so I can use that as my target.

Anyone care to give me a dummies guide?

D

Deleted member 15344

Do you know what the Standard Scratch is at you r club ?

For example of it's a par 70 and a standard scratch of 69 to get cut you would need to shoot a Net 68 and below

D

Deleted member 15344

Par 71 and 70 SSS I believe. 69 SSS of the yellows?

If the SSS is 70 and you shot a 69 then you should have been cut unless on that day the SSS dropped a shot. Is your club on HDID ?

If you are hitting your handicap regularly then I don't think it will be long until you get cut - if your club do a mid season review you will certainly be picked up and defiantly at the end of the year - fair reward for good consistent golf :thup:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
To guarantee a cut, you need to score 39 Stableford points off the Whites or 40 off the Yellows.

It's normally pretty likely that you will get cut scoring 1 less than that and could possibly - but very unlikely - even get cut wit 35.

That's because the CSS can go down to 69/68 on good scoring days or up to 73/72 on horrible ones. (SSS - 1 to SSS+3 resp).

Handicap/Performance is a Stableford measure, even in Strokeplay comps.

To guarantee you stay in buffer, as a Cat 2, you need to shoot 36/37 points (W/Y) but 35/36 will normally do it.

Looks like the CSS was 69 to me. So you shot 69 with absolute disasters - which would have a Stableford Adjustment applied. Worth remembering that if you do shoot a 9 or 10 on a hole, it might put you out of the Comp, but only equates to 0 Stableford points, so not a complete disaster for your handicap.

Last edited:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ive been playing for a couple of years now and progressed from 18 down to 12 and looking to get towards single this year.

I don't understand the handicap system, the difference between or point of SSS and CSS. My handicaps run through the club so never had to know.

Why I'm asking now is that I shot a net 69 recently and didn't get a cut but don't know why I didn't? Today I shot a net 70 (albeit in a stableford comp) and I'm hitting my hcp on a regular basis. What I want to understand is what I need to shoot get cut before a qualifying round so I can use that as my target.

Anyone care to give me a dummies guide?

I'll give you a 5-hour crash course on handicapping on the Tat on the 30th!