Things That Gladden The Heart

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
View attachment 54271

Upsides of being dragged into central for an age medical , what a lovely view on a beautiful day

Spent a couple of hours on HMS Belfast a few years back. We got up to the radio room, and I was pointing out various bits of kit to Mrs H. As I turned to leave an old guy in the radio room spoke to Mrs H. She told him I used to be an RO and could use the morse key - ā€˜thanks loveā€™ I thought. The old guy pushed the key over said, ā€œcā€™mon then.ā€

A quick what shall I send and I startedā€¦. ā€œ yep, a touch slow and a little raggy but you know what youā€™re doing.ā€ I replied, ā€œitā€™s almost 40 years since Iā€™ve sent. Iā€™ll take that.ā€ Must admit, I enjoyed it and was well chuffed he picked it up.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not saying that isn't a fantastic view, it most certainly is - and a world famous one.

But I really like this one too

View attachment 54273

Lovely view. I don't appreciate just how close London bridge (where I took the photo) is. 45 mins on the district line and a short walk across to the work drs

Nice little day out

Spent a couple of hours on HMS Belfast a few years back. We got up to the radio room, and I was pointing out various bits of kit to Mrs H. As I turned to leave an old guy in the radio room spoke to Mrs H. She told him I used to be an RO and could use the morse key - ā€˜thanks loveā€™ I thought. The old guy pushed the key over said, ā€œcā€™mon then.ā€

A quick what shall I send and I startedā€¦. ā€œ yep, a touch slow and a little raggy but you know what youā€™re doing.ā€ I replied, ā€œitā€™s almost 40 years since Iā€™ve sent. Iā€™ll take that.ā€ Must admit, I enjoyed it and was well chuffed he picked it up.

What a moment though , beautiful

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Lovely view. I don't appreciate just how close London bridge (where I took the photo) is. 45 mins on the district line and a short walk across to the work drs

Nice little day out

What a moment though , beautiful
I am a Londoner so know my way around pretty well but if you don't come up regularly it is sometimes a shock at how close things are to each other and how quickly you can actually get from A to B. I

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Watching the golf triggers nice (though perhaps a litter bitter sweet) memories for me as I took my mum for a day trip to Troon the last time we spent together outside of hospital and her passing. We had lunch in the Piersland Hotel (her recommendation from a previous visit with my sister - now also no longer with us). It was lovely.

And after lunch we wandered across the road to Royal Troon. As I had a look at the 18th green and wondered, mum took shelter from the wind standing at the entrance under the canopy, a member asked if she wanted to sit down inside, which she did, until I was done. Then we headed home.

Bless you mum and sis for the memories.šŸ˜˜

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What is a ā€œblock of Tabletā€?
Itā€™s not toffee; itā€™s not fudge; itā€™s something in between that Scottish mums made for Halloween out of sugar and condensed milkā€¦and until it was divided up into little 2ā€ square pieces it was a blockā€¦and I love itā€¦and so I use my aunt Nancyā€™s method to make itā€¦yum.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Rail companies and workers seem to get plenty of stick, but i was on holiday in England last week and travelled through London to Canterbury back to London then to Penzance , Penzance to Exeter.

Every train was on time and staff everywhere were were extremely helpful so well done rail staff šŸ‘