Things That Gladden The Heart

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Totally agree with the last paragraph. Also, when you're face to face, eye contact and a nice smile makes for a much better shopping experience.

Recently I was served by a young girl and throughout the whole process she didn't look at me once. I was quite put out by this and said to her as I took my receipt, "Eye contact would have been nice". She looked shocked and I'm sure felt embarrassed too.
I suppose some might think that a bit harsh but I think it's so important in a customer facing role to make eye contact.

Generally, I would pull someone up for poor customer service but it’s on a case by case basis. Two sales assistants talking all the way through serving me will get a reminder I’m in front of them. But as well as asking yourself what they’ve done, it’s more important to ask yourself why they’ve done it.

A sales assistant not making eye contact is odd, and the why is very important in this case. Is it her first week on the job? Is it the first time she’s been left on the till on her own? Did her gran die yesterday, or her boyfriend dump her last night? Not making eye contact suggests there might be a bigger issue than poor service. I’d just thank them and move on with a smile.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Re Golf mad and someone not looking at you. I totally understand where he is coming from. From someone who has worked with people face to face, communication is important. Whether it is talking, eye contact, body language. Missis T made a comment some time back re “ youngs uns”. Some struggle to have a conversation etc. She mentioned it when we went for a meal. I asked for another drink. It was promptly delivered but the young waitress then walked off with the empty glass on the table and empty plates on the table. It was like she couldn’t comprehend they could have been taken away. Yet give them a phone 😳

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Obviously I dont know the circumstances of the Golfmad's experience. But need to bear in mind that there are cultural differences about eye contact. There are many cultures where eye contact is considered disrespectful.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Obviously I dont know the circumstances of the Golfmad's experience. But need to bear in mind that there are cultural differences about eye contact. There are many cultures where eye contact is considered disrespectful.

Then maybe it's not a good idea to come and live in a country where there is such a culture clash unless one is prepared to accept the host country's culture?
Just asking.
When in Rome, and all that.

I'll get my tin hat.

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
It's a trolley, there, huh?
In most of the US, it's a shopping cart,
but in the Boston area, it's a shopping carriage.

And who's kidding whom?
They ALL go "click click click" all around the store.

I remember Seinsbury's.
It wasn't radically different than a typical American supermarket,
albeit food's a little bit more expensive in the UK.
I've had some interesting experiences in USA supermarkets. I remember one time I noticed a fellow shopper in uniform. Realised it was a policewoman who must have just finished her shift. Then I noticed a gun on her right hip just inches from my left hand.
The English phrase is, "I was somewhat taken aback!"

In other shops I got used to the customary greeting of, "Kin ah hill pew?" and being called "sir" all the time. Very friendly, yet formal as well.

Its the fellow customers that I found to be rather discourteous to serving staff.
"Can I get another coffee?"
"I didn't get my juice yet!"

No "excuse me" or "please" uttered.

You're welcome. Have a nice day.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
All down to someone’s personality, there will be many around the world regardless of culture that will feel shy , scared , intimidated by having any sort of direct eye contact

Correct, but I still stand by me answer to your question.
There will always be exceptions to every rule.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Eye contact is seen as polite and courteous when talking to someone.

And if the person is autistic?

I don’t disagree with your point but we don’t know the individual nor their personal circumstances. Splitting hairs to prove a point, in this instance, doesn’t really achieve anything other than discourse.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
And if the person is autistic?

I don’t disagree with your point but we don’t know the individual nor their personal circumstances. Splitting hairs to prove a point, in this instance, doesn’t really achieve anything other than discourse.

See post #11,475.
There will always be exceptions to every rule.