Things That Gladden The Heart

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We have a few nesting on the edge of the course...they regularly glide 10/15 yards away from you as you're walking along..
Had to wait on a tee shot the other day as one was doing aerobatics right in front of us....

had a pheasant in the garden today :) almost sent the dog out to try and get it so we could have it in a pie lol

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
had a pheasant in the garden today :) almost sent the dog out to try and get it so we could have it in a pie lol
Pheasants are the dumbest creatures on the planet......but when they run you can see where the dinosaurs went....feet going 19 to the dozen, working so fast it looks li,e they're floating....

RichA

Visit site
Went to Bicester village today. It was expensive and rammel. But here were a good few Red Kites knocking about. It was worth a 220 mile round trip just to see them. They are a thing of beauty. Never really seen them as much and read a few member on her have them on there courses. Jammy sods.
We've spent the last 25 years travelling regularly between our home (Herts/Essex), my hometown (just outside Mansfield) and MrsA's mum (Oxford).
20 years ago, we'd count them as we drove on the M40. About 10 years ago we stopped bothering because it would always exceed 100.
Around that time they started appearing over the A1M in the Peterborough area. I don't know if the youngsters in a colony had all just fledged at the same time, but a couple of years ago I saw somewhere between 50 and 100 almost swarming in a big circle over the motorway as you pass Sawtry. Unforgettable!
We now occasionally get them flying over our house.
I've seen them around Newstead area Tash.

D

Deleted member 15344

they fly over the Chilterns opposite my house, see them every day, stunning creatures :)

Yep loads around here , loads of buzzards as well , sparrowhawks and kestrels

Some get pretty close , one was sat on top of the halfway hut the other day

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've had 2 memorable incidents with Pheasants.
1. Played Formby (and Hoylake) many years ago. Squawking pheasants at the top of my swing for the front nine!
2. Returning from umpiring hockey, also many years ago, at Bradfield College, the car in front slammed on its anchors and a shroud of feathers appeared. The solo women in the car was very shocked - until a Range Rover came around the bend, realised what had happened, reversed and chucked the carcase in the boot and drove away! I burst out laughing and the lady's shock melted away.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yep loads around here , loads of buzzards as well , sparrowhawks and kestrels

Some get pretty close , one was sat on top of the halfway hut the other day
No Red Kites yet? Wonderful birds - as is the success story of their reintroduction. Huntercombe GC has them on their logo, as they were reintroduced nearby. There's 3 or 4 'resident' at The Shire, along with loads of other birdlife - other Birds of Prey, Swans, Coots (not a fan), Moorhens, Egyptian Geese and even a few Cormorants. Oh and far too many Canadian Geese! Walking up 15 can be 'interesting'!
At a previous club (Mill Ride) the 3d is a Par 3 over a large pond. While waiting for the green to clear, I once counted 13 different types of birds on that pond and there was pair of Red Kites eventually roosted/nested in a tree alongside the 4th.

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
We've spent the last 25 years travelling regularly between our home (Herts/Essex), my hometown (just outside Mansfield) and MrsA's mum (Oxford).
20 years ago, we'd count them as we drove on the M40. About 10 years ago we stopped bothering because it would always exceed 100.
Around that time they started appearing over the A1M in the Peterborough area. I don't know if the youngsters in a colony had all just fledged at the same time, but a couple of years ago I saw somewhere between 50 and 100 almost swarming in a big circle over the motorway as you pass Sawtry. Unforgettable!
We now occasionally get them flying over our house.
I've seen them around Newstead area Tash.
I cannot remember seeing any around the Mansfield area. We have quite a few buzzards around the course, which the crows don’t like one bit.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Another step forward. Great news Spongy (y) Looking forward to our game when you are ready.

Don't worry about the flex - it's a state of mind. I'm currently trying a "senior" flex shaft in my driver. HID isn't interested as she thinks that it's a bit floppy, but my mixed doubles partner is very impressed :whistle:

You can tablets get for floppy shafts

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Me and a mate have a tee time booked at a course in Northumberland for later this morning. A fella from the course has just called and told me it's been lashing it down all morning and doesn't look like stopping, he offered to move our tee time to another day which we've gladly accepted.
Very nice of them to go out of their way and re arrange for us ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Me and a mate have a tee time booked at a course in Northumberland for later this morning. A fella from the course has just called and told me it's been lashing it down all morning and doesn't look like stopping, he offered to move our tee time to another day which we've gladly accepted.
Very nice of them to go out of their way and re arrange for us ?
It's blowing an absolute gale as well. We cancelled our game for today and it was 100% the right decision. Great service from that club ?