Things That Gladden The Heart

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had another lesson today and hit some balls.
Only half swings and the ball went forward but not very far.
Going forward the pro suggested I may need to investigate a change to senior flex until or if I get some strength back. This was amply demonstrated by him getting me to hit a ladies flex club and ball speed going up (I'm too embarrassed to quotemthe numbers ?)

Another step forward. Great news Spongy (y) Looking forward to our game when you are ready.

Don't worry about the flex - it's a state of mind. I'm currently trying a "senior" flex shaft in my driver. HID isn't interested as she thinks that it's a bit floppy, but my mixed doubles partner is very impressed :whistle:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ah well, you and your recipes can do as you like. Personally I'll put tomatoes with some other fish, but sea bass, nah.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Absolutely revelling in the decision to play yesterday afternoon rather than this morning.
It's absolutely rank out there right now..we'd be just about on the 9th....it's actually sleeting..
Nice and warm and dry in my chair watching the golf...:giggle::giggle:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We don't have a really chuffed thread so this goes here as it is the nearest.

I've had my current car about 8 months. The headlights are good but aim too near the floor. As someone who does a lot of country lane driving that is a real problem as visibility is not quite good enough. After another annoying journey last week I hit google and youtube to see if I could raise them myself. After much procrastination I set myself the job today. Car driven into the factory at work, lights on, tape on the wall where the lights currently are, allen key at the ready. I steadied myself for much cursing and abject failure. It was a doddle, absolutely piece of cake. A two yr old could have turned the fitting, the lights moved easily and steadily. I have not lifted them far, I would rather raise in stages then go too high and blind someone coming the other way. The adjustment is so easy that I can do it in seconds now, either way. It's the little things in life :love:.

To round off, a cup of tea and yes, a mince pie from my stash :LOL:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We don't have a really chuffed thread so this goes here as it is the nearest.

I've had my current car about 8 months. The headlights are good but aim too near the floor. As someone who does a lot of country lane driving that is a real problem as visibility is not quite good enough. After another annoying journey last week I hit google and youtube to see if I could raise them myself. After much procrastination I set myself the job today. Car driven into the factory at work, lights on, tape on the wall where the lights currently are, allen key at the ready. I steadied myself for much cursing and abject failure. It was a doddle, absolutely piece of cake. A two yr old could have turned the fitting, the lights moved easily and steadily. I have not lifted them far, I would rather raise in stages then go too high and blind someone coming the other way. The adjustment is so easy that I can do it in seconds now, either way. It's the little things in life :love:.

To round off, a cup of tea and yes, a mince pie from my stash :LOL:
Don't you have a turny button on your dash to do that for you?
Can't remember the last car I had that didn't have one....

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The car is 9 years old so perhaps before that came in? You are right, on past cars you roll the button, get it to the right point and then never touch it again. Hopefully the same again for this now.

RichA

Visit site
The last car of mine that did have the turny button went 6 years ago. Since then, they've had xenon headlights and it's been automatic. They've all been automatically too low.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
The car is 9 years old so perhaps before that came in? You are right, on past cars you roll the button, get it to the right point and then never touch it again. Hopefully the same again for this now.
The last car of mine that did have the turny button went 6 years ago. Since then, they've had xenon headlights and it's been automatic. They've all been automatically too low.

Just remember when adjusting headlights that the higher you raise them, the brighter they are in to oncoming traffic. Not a major issue with older style lights but the modern, brighter "Xenon" or "Laser" lights are exponentially brighter and this is why many manufacturers set them lower (as they are designed to have a wider spread) so that people driving towards you are not blinded as the light units get brighter and brighter.

My car has the "follow you" adaptive lights that turn when you turn and I can't but help that it's blinding to oncoming traffic that are turning "in to" my direction of travel. The "adaptive" is also hit and miss with high beam/dipped when it senses other lights. Good concept but one that is definitely flawed.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just remember when adjusting headlights that the higher you raise them, the brighter they are in to oncoming traffic. Not a major issue with older style lights but the modern, brighter "Xenon" or "Laser" lights are exponentially brighter and this is why many manufacturers set them lower (as they are designed to have a wider spread) so that people driving towards you are not blinded as the light units get brighter and brighter.

My car has the "follow you" adaptive lights that turn when you turn and I can't but help that it's blinding to oncoming traffic that are turning "in to" my direction of travel. The "adaptive" is also hit and miss with high beam/dipped when it senses other lights. Good concept but one that is definitely flawed.
I get this, hence why I have only raised them slightly. I will be in the dark this weekend and will soon know if they are too high. Now I know how to alter them it will take me seconds to tweak.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I get this, hence why I have only raised them slightly. I will be in the dark this weekend and will soon know if they are too high. Now I know how to alter them it will take me seconds to tweak.

Easiest way to check if you have another car (or a friend/colleague's car) is to park facing it, around 300-400m away and put the headlights on and sit in the other car (on level ground of course) and see if they are dazzling you. Even small adjustments can have big effects over distance.

RichA

Visit site

I get that, but it is noticeable that the light from xenons is more focused so, on dipped beams, you lack that gentle illumination in the farther distance that halogens used to provide. Better illumination but over a shorter distance.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Snowdrops :)

Lovely. I wandered around a garden centre this week (what have I become!) and bought loads of flower seeds for the allotment. I almost bought some snowdrops but they were crazy expensive!

On that note I am about to start the propagation of the early cauliflowers - I'm beyond excited. Spuds chitting in the conservatory (too early but they're keen)...

Who'd have thought. I've not grown a thing in my life.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I get that, but it is noticeable that the light from xenons is more focused so, on dipped beams, you lack that gentle illumination in the farther distance that halogens used to provide. Better illumination but over a shorter distance.

Hey, it’s you guy’s cars. You can do what ever you want to them. I lowered mine and upgraded the exhaust. It’s whatever you want to do to make it work for you.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lovely. I wandered around a garden centre this week (what have I become!) and bought loads of flower seeds for the allotment. I almost bought some snowdrops but they were crazy expensive!

On that note I am about to start the propagation of the early cauliflowers - I'm beyond excited. Spuds chitting in the conservatory (too early but they're keen)...

The house we bought came with the most overstocked gardens possible, have spent a lot of time thinning and clearing some of the hedges and trees etc but there are currently bulbs sprouting everywhere, be interesting to see what else we get as the year goes on :)

RichA

Visit site

You're in East Anglia, aren't you? Have you ever been to Anglesey Abbey in February? Snowdrops there and the winter garden are stunning.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
You're in East Anglia, aren't you? Have you ever been to Anglesey Abbey in February? Snowdrops there and the winter garden are stunning.

I am and I'd never heard of it until a couple of weeks ago when a golfing friend said she had booked to go. Something I must make time to check out for sure.