Things i have learnt this week......

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
This week has been a bit of an eye-opener for me . I have incorporated 4 new 'tips' into my swing and the difference in not only how it now feels but the improvement in distance has really amazed me.

1: During a round with my area manager last week , he commented on how he thought my stance was too narrow . I knew that the feet should be shoulder width apart but i'm a big lad and my feet were nowhere near shoulder width. I'm not normally one to give advice on the course but when i recieve it , and it appears justified from someone i trust , i listen. Mind you , he did wait until the 17th before mentioning it .
2 & 3 My in to out swing - Very common among us high handicappers i know. I was browsing some technique video's online ( can't even remember where it was ) and it was like a lightbulb going off. Because of this video , i altered two things. I tucked in my flying right elbow and i turned my right foot in to square - Apparently , my 2 o'clock right foot position allowed my hips to turn too much and the only way i could get the club back to address was a severe in to out path .

4: Finally , i followed the advice of the clock face round the ball and concentrated on hitting through the 4 o'clock position.

So , Wider stance - No flying elbow - right foot turned in square - 4 o'clock swing plane -

result - nearly 35-40 yds added to my driver . 15yds to my irons and either straight or even a slight draw on my shots....without a single slice in sight !!!
I did get some 'pushes' to the right but i suspect these were caused by not quite squaring the club on impact....but i was happy as they flew only slightly right but straight.

Now i've just got to transfer this to my Society day on Saturday . Playing Forrester park near Maldon so should be a good day.....i hope :)

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Glad the tips are paying dividends for you Paul. Sometimes well meaning golfers can be a Godsend for that important tip to improve your game.

Then again, they can wreck your game if you take notice of some tips albeit well intended.

chipsandegg

Head Pro
Visit site
Great news paul, although i would tend to agree with Basher. i have found since taking up golf that, never to listen to advice off my playing partners (however well intended) as this can lead to allsorts of problems.

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I can see your points and had the tip not worked or not seemed sensible then i would have had second thoughts...but what he said made sense. Still , at least i've got someone to blame should it all go pear-shaped ( although i'll probably wait unitl after my yearly pay review :) )

D

Deleted member 1147

.......... never to listen to advice off my playing partners (however well intended) as this can lead to allsorts of problems.

Don't you find that sometimes it slips into the sub-conscious though, no matter how hard you try to ignore them?

I had to check a few things with my coach this week because I just started to get confused.

Where should the ball be?
How high should I tee up my driver?
Am I swinging too steeply?

The answers were exactly what I thought they were but my playing partner (who is an 18 handicapper) told me otherwise and it got stuck in my head!