the takeaway

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been left a little confused following a lesson. I went with a steep swing issue but the pro said we needed to work on my takeaway as it's a little handsy. what confused me was he said the top of my backswing is perfect! So my question is, what does it matter what your takeaway looks like if it gets you in a perfect position everytime?

macca64

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
can see why your confused, :confused: not sure I would like that, my takeaway sets my whole swing,

Last edited:

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
If your steep you tend to pick the club up with your hands. i.e handsy. People who are handsy also tend to take the club back inside. You may be getting to a decent position at the top but is it more through luck than design?

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can relate to this pal.... I was taking the club away a little on the inside.... Even though I have a flattish swing it was making it even flatter.... My takeaway is a shoulder dominated move rather than hands... I take everything back as a unit.... I think it's called a one piece..... Iv always did this and my back swing position is pretty good...... Now though in concentrating on keeping the clubhead outside my hands on the way back which is getting Mr on a better plane at the top... I'm still flat but nowhere near what I was.... It was pointed out to me by James on a video I posted last week.....

I would hazard a guess that your pro maybe getting you to do it to get onto a better plane that's a little flatter than the one you currently have.....
In what way do you now take the club back....

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I should have given more info. He drew a line going through the shaft at address and said my hands and club head should follow this line. I slightly lift my hands off the line. Almost identical to justin rose's

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Tricky one. Do you ignore what he told you and effectively chuck the money you spent on the lesson down the swanny. Do you stick with what you are doing. What are your bad shots? Personally if he is getting you to change there must be an underlying issue he is trying to fix. I would make the change and go back to him for more information

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tricky one. Do you ignore what he told you and effectively chuck the money you spent on the lesson down the swanny. Do you stick with what you are doing. What are your bad shots? Personally if he is getting you to change there must be an underlying issue he is trying to fix. I would make the change and go back to him for more information

I made the change with around 800 balls and even then after that many balls it still felt unatural and my ball striking was horrid. He compared my swings new and old and they where carbon copy at the top. My bad shot with both irons and woods is dead straight for 70% and leaks right at the end. Thats telling me " square club face, out to in path"

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
You was swinging a lot better just after your lesson the other day and you nearly had a hole in one, the takeaway looked so much better. Stick with it :thup:

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The takeaway was half the speed though wasn't it? Didn't look like you picked the club up either which was one of your old flaws. Stick with the swing from that day anyway it produced some great shots. Oh and I spanked Mark in matchplay the round after the one we played with his new irons :clap:

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site