The swing so far

percy_layer

Challenge Tour Pro
www.davidord.com
Just had second lesson today and hit about 100 balls in lesson and another couple hundred when i got back to my home club. Might not have hit so many if weather was bad........

www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2ukYDyC9hA

compared to a few weeks ago

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSEk0_ZpaRw

working on changing the downswing sequence. Need to initiate the change of direction with the legs and body and not so much with the arms and also get the shaft plane a bit steeper to increase lag.

percy_layer

Challenge Tour Pro
www.davidord.com
Do you feel your striking it better after these changes ? What's the nett effect of the new strike ?

Noticed a huge improvement straight away, the contact and ball flight was much better on the first shots after rehearsing the changes. My swing path is much more online as opposed to being slightly in to out and the compression of the ball has improved.

So far, the ball flight is slightly higher and slightly further as well as being a lot straighter......
:)

DCB

Visit site
Good to hear your getting there vwith the changes. How much longer before you're happy with them and able to let them happen sub-conciously ? how many balls will that have taken when you get there ?

percy_layer

Challenge Tour Pro
www.davidord.com
Thanks

Think it'll take a lot of shots. I no longer need to think about the changes we made two months ago so that's a good sign. I've hit approx 600 balls in two days and can now put a good swing on almost every shot on the practice ground, but need to rehearse before each one. I expect to have to think about it for every shot for a couple weeks at least.

I don't like hitting bad shots, same as anyone else. But i am enjoying the changes and the challenge to do what it takes to improve. Fortunately, i enjoy practice as much as i enjoy playing.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Looks good to an 11hc lol.

There's a little move right at the top just before you start down where the club looks like it moves slightly backwards away from your head. Is that intentional, something that needs to change, or not important?

percy_layer

Challenge Tour Pro
www.davidord.com
There's a little move right at the top just before you start down where the club looks like it moves slightly backwards away from your head. Is that intentional, something that needs to change, or not important?

Something i need to change, when i have the club laid off at the top (slightly) and it shallows a bit more during the transition, the arms tend to drop a bit and the club is left behind me and causes the swing path to be slightly in to out. I then need to 'flick' at the ball to stop hitting a straight push. This wastes power and makes the strike and ballflight inconsistent.

What i'm working towards is when the left arm is parallel to the ground on the downswing, it will be parallel to the target line, the hips and knees will also be parallel to or slightly 'open' to targetline.

percy_layer

Challenge Tour Pro
www.davidord.com
I don't see ANY difference at all between your ' new ' swing and the ' old ' swing.

Have a look at the swings from 22/02/2011 and the latest ones. Compare the swings as they pass through the 'delivery position'.

In the 'down the line' videos, the club is on a better plane (although it's still under a bit), the body has rotated a little bit more.
In the 'face on' swings, there is a little bit more leverage and there is a less pronounced slide to the target by the body.

Long way to go but i'm happy with the progress so far. As massive as the changes feel, i wouldn't expect it to look much different. After the effort that i've put in so far and knowing what i still need to work on, i'm not expecting to feel the swing is fully automatic at all this year. But, i'm not prepared to put up with the way i've struck the ball the last 2 years, so i will make every effort to improve.

Luckily, i like to practice as much as i like to play.