the stinger - best shot in golf

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Its definitely one of them. I was watching some of tiger's best stinger shots and its sad to say, this shot is fading out.

Maybe they play it a bit more on the European tour but I can't remember the last time I seen it live on the PGA tour.

Is it because its too hard to pull off, the courses don't suit it or the weather doesn't call for it?

I absolutely love seeing the flight on them.

I don't recall seeing any at the open at Hoylake nor the practice day at portstewart this year. Granted the weather didn't really require a low flight that day. The last pro I seen hit one live was olazabal at the Irish open in 2012. 4 iron barely 20 feet in the air. It was magic although he did miss the green left. Lol

Anyway who plays these punchy low flight shots with either driver, wood or iron?

Liverbirdie can hit a cracking punch drive. Peter finch is a fan and practices this type of shot. Finally my mate whos dropped from 12 down to 6 can play a really penetrating long and mid iron. Beautiful to watch.

So, is it an art falling by the way in these times of bomb and gouge golf or is it still being utilized daily by some of you lot and in some far flung corner of Scotland?

NB. Its not really a shot I play. I can hit a low one but not as well as id like. Something to work on over winter at the range. Fun if nothing else.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Presumably the preference is for a high trajectory that lands and stops quickly. The stinger being used if the conditions don't suit.

If a pro feels like they can hit high they will. Given a lot of PGA events have super receptive greens and manicured fairways maybe the pros can just hit it high without having to woory too much.

Agree that it is a loss though, love seeing different kind of shots and how each pro may approach the same shot differently

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I could never hit one and certainly wouldn't try one in competition.
Tiger's stingers were much over rated in my opinion. He used it way too often and usually when he didn't need to. In my view many of Tiger's issues on the course in his later career (not including his injuries) came from trying to hit the ball too hard.
I get the impression he liked to try to play the stinger and liked the ball flight and so over used it. As the OP says it is rarely needed on the PGA Tour, but Tiger tried it a lot.

U

User62651

Does a thinned 3 iron count? Sore fingers but often a good result.;)

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Its definitely one of them. I was watching some of tiger's best stinger shots and its sad to say, this shot is fading out.

Maybe they play it a bit more on the European tour but I can't remember the last time I seen it live on the PGA tour.

Is it because its too hard to pull off, the courses don't suit it or the weather doesn't call for it?

I absolutely love seeing the flight on them.

I don't recall seeing any at the open at Hoylake nor the practice day at portstewart this year. Granted the weather didn't really require a low flight that day. The last pro I seen hit one live was olazabal at the Irish open in 2012. 4 iron barely 20 feet in the air. It was magic although he did miss the green left. Lol

Anyway who plays these punchy low flight shots with either driver, wood or iron?

Liverbirdie can hit a cracking punch drive. Peter finch is a fan and practices this type of shot. Finally my mate whos dropped from 12 down to 6 can play a really penetrating long and mid iron. Beautiful to watch.

So, is it an art falling by the way in these times of bomb and gouge golf or is it still being utilized daily by some of you lot and in some far flung corner of Scotland?

NB. Its not really a shot I play. I can hit a low one but not as well as id like. Something to work on over winter at the range. Fun if nothing else.

I still hit the "high top" :D if its windy on 14, and the punched drive on 16, Gaz. BTW the 16th is now OOB left and right, and not a lateral (on the left) now - card wrecker as a par 5.....and some people get tempted.

I'm a 1-iron god now instead of hitting the stinger ,:D but haven't had a chance to play lots of links golf this year, but a 2 over gross at Hillside with the 1 iron and the driver in the bag, would like me trying to have both in the bag.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
16 must end people most weeks now. Lol

You should invest in a modern 1 or 2 iron pete. Be easier to hit even for a god like yourself.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
[video=youtube;hwoYQIqgKnw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwoYQIqgKnw#t=37.2389937[/video]

Even bubba wanted to watch this one fly.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
After over 30 years of links membership I find it difficult not to play the stinger! Also find a 3/4 shot with a club way more than needed works well - less spin = less chance to spin up/balloon.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
i like playing the stinger with my irons ,its a shot that i practice quite a lot on the range .
it really is a useful shot to have in your armoury along with the micklesonesque flop shot that i also give a fair amount of time to on the range.
the stinger does give a good deal of satisfaction when it flies straight and true into the green.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is the stinger any different from a punch?

i think the punch shot is more of an abbreviated follow through than a full blooded stinger,i might be well off the mark but that is how i see the shots.
i tend to play the punch shot with the higher number irons rather than hitting full tilt shots with them ,i find playing a punch shot with my 5 iron i have a tendancy to lose the shot out to the right,where as a full stinger shot flies straighter.
i only ever resort to either shot when playing directly into a headwind ,cross winds i play normal type of shot but aim according to wind strength.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Is the stinger any different from a punch?

I'm not sure of true definitions, but my take would be:-

Normal driver in normal conditions distance is approx. 225-245 yards, normal ball flight. In line with the front foot, and the normal wild slash at it. :)

A punched driver I would hit between 185-210, and I'll sometimes hit it in non-windy conditions, if playing for position 3/4 swing, ball in the middle of the stance, grip down the shaft.

A stinger will also be in the middle of the stance, also grip down the shaft but take a full swing and try to hit through the ball a bit more and keep the follow through low also. normally use it when 20 mph wind and above - distance is swing/wind dependent. When its wrong its normally a top. when its done right, can sometimes keep it below 10-15 feet in the air.

In essence, for me a punched one will be 3/4 swing and not too low, stinger will be full swing and very low.:thup:

Just don't ask me to draw it at the same time......:p

Last edited: