the stinger - best shot in golf

D

Deleted member 18121

maybe the confusion in definition is in my head of how I play a shot.....in windy conditions playing into a green I'd hit a punch 6 rather than a full 7 for example, but if I was asked to play a stinger I'd probably hit ball in the same way.... ie abbreviated follow through.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I have to attempt them at times when I find myself just in or on the tree line with large overhanging branches, obviously if the card is OK I'll take my medicine, but if everything is bust already then I'll give it a rip.

My Pro was showing me the shot with my 4i, hitting at the ball right into the ground and taking a divot, compressing the ball so much it didn't climb much but flew for miles at a low height fizzing into the distance.

I can pull it off 3/10 at best, great to have in the armoury but pretty tough to master, I think, it demands a lot of confidence.

I see seniors constantly using their drivers out the trees and not holding back, the ball keeping low and going good distances, they always seem to be quite severe fades though, but if they allow for it, what the heck!

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Beautiful shot to watch but tough to play. The compilation of Tiger's stingers on YouTube is just brilliant.

I played them a bit with a 3w a couple of years back but fell out of the habit. Might go and practise them again. Cheers Gary :thup:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Beautiful shot to watch but tough to play. The compilation of Tiger's stingers on YouTube is just brilliant.

I played them a bit with a 3w a couple of years back but fell out of the habit. Might go and practise them again. Cheers Gary :thup:

[video=youtube;r2OvF2c-mU8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2OvF2c-mU8[/video]

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Angel Cabrera hit a great one off the 10th tee at Augusta in a play off (with Scott maybe?), drew a long iron round the corner at head height.

Great to watch, I'm not sure of the difference between that and a punch, maybe height. Never tried to play a stinger on purpose :whistle:

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think I ever set out to hit a "stinger" but I've been practicing keeping it low and can do so quite successfully but I use it more for getting out of trouble, under branches. I did hit one into strong winds on a par three recently. Thought it was a two club wind but decided to take just one club extra and drill a low one. Beautiful penetrating flight through the wind, past the pin in fact and lucky to hold the green. Definitely a useful shot to have in the arsenal.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Angel Cabrera hit a great one off the 10th tee at Augusta in a play off (with Scott maybe?), drew a long iron round the corner at head height.

Great to watch, I'm not sure of the difference between that and a punch, maybe height. Never tried to play a stinger on purpose :whistle:

Just watched that again. Can't find a good view of the flight unfortunately. if I remember correctly he had a 3 iron bent down to a 2 or 1 iron. Absolutely smashes it. Hits it past scotts 3 wood. :eek:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If i want to keep it low, i just hit my 3 iron. I lack the club head speed to flight a bladed 3 iron more than 10 ft off the ground. Hit a peach with it today. And a shank. Cant have it all.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The lazy mans stinger 4 iron is a about a 60 % swing on a 3 wood. not quite as sexy looking but you get the same result. :whistle: :whoo:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Don't think it is. all these shots are a bit thin imo. none are what i would say warranted this type of shot IE on a links course and into a 40mph wind.
Tiger BS covering up a thin:rofl:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The way they set courses up in the states stops this sort of shot.
They mow the fairways towards the tee so the nap is facing you a lot of the time.
This really started at Augusta when the pros were getting to long for the course.
I can play it but it's unpredictable bit more practice me thinks.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I do find it unsure what is a punch and what is a stinger. Playing in a final on Sunday, on our 4th extra hole, Par 3 150 yards, wind diagonally against and my opponent had just hit into the bunker so I decided to punch(?) a 6 iron which stayed nice and low and just rolled to the back of the green. Got it dead for par and the match. It did look a great shot when it flew. I've since thought how do I hit it but I can't tell you. I just know what I want to do when I'm on the tee.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I do find it unsure what is a punch and what is a stinger. Playing in a final on Sunday, on our 4th extra hole, Par 3 150 yards, wind diagonally against and my opponent had just hit into the bunker so I decided to punch(?) a 6 iron which stayed nice and low and just rolled to the back of the green. Got it dead for par and the match. It did look a great shot when it flew. I've since thought how do I hit it but I can't tell you. I just know what I want to do when I'm on the tee.
My simplistic and probably incorrect assumption would be: if you hit a 6 iron to go 8 iron distance by shortening the swing then that would be a punch. If you hit a 6 iron to go 6 iron distance but keep it hard and low all the way, then that's more like the stinger being described in here.

Could be wrong though, I basically made that up.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My simplistic and probably incorrect assumption would be: if you hit a 6 iron to go 8 iron distance by shortening the swing then that would be a punch. If you hit a 6 iron to go 6 iron distance but keep it hard and low all the way, then that's more like the stinger being described in here.

Could be wrong though, I basically made that up.

So when I hit a wedge, wedge distance but hard and low i can tell people I hit a stinger when they tell me I knifed it. Result

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
IMO, FWIW.

A stinger is a full shot, with 'normal', (well, slightly adjusted) swing!

A Punch is not a full shot - 'full' speed as opposed to 'half swing', but limited follow through and possibly limited back-swing.

Last edited: