The South Bucks.. Farnham Park.. I'm confused

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My mate wants to play at the South Buckinghamshire in a few weeks on his birthday. When I looked for it in Hole 19 it appears as 'Farnham Park - The South Buckinghamshire'. If you Google it though there are different websites for Farnham Park GC and The South Bucks. But on Maps they appear to both be in the same place! Can anyone shed any light on the situation here??
https://www.thesouthbuckinghamshire.co.uk/
https://www.farnhampark.co.uk/

I have a second question as well - when I was a kid we used to play at The Lanes, a little nine hole that was in this area - that still appears on the Hole19 search but I'm wondering if it still exists, or whether it was closed down - or maybe incorporated into another club?

Cheers.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
South Bucks is the course, Farnham Park is the club. This is the former Stoke Pages Ladies course opposite Stoke Park. Shortish but fun course, the site of one of my best rounds in a corporate event - including a back 9 2 under gross playing off 10 for 25 points!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

sunshine

Visit site
The course used to be called Farnham Park. Then they refurbished the clubhouse and rebranded as "The South Buckinghamshire" because it sounds grander.

The club that plays at the course didn't rebrand and has retained the Farnham Park name. I liked the course, but maybe the members thought the new name was rather pompous for a course that can hardly be described as prestigious?

Like Ethan, I would describe it as a fun course and the site one of my best rounds too... back nine 1 under gross. It is short and easy to be fair.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The course used to be called Farnham Park. Then they refurbished the clubhouse and rebranded as "The South Buckinghamshire" because it sounds grander.

The club that plays at the course didn't rebrand and has retained the Farnham Park name. I liked the course, but maybe the members thought the new name was rather pompous for a course that can hardly be described as prestigious?

Like Ethan, I would describe it as a fun course and the site one of my best rounds too... back nine 1 under gross. It is short and easy to be fair.
Well that sounds perfectly up my street. :LOL:

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
No, I've played Hedsor this year, that's a different course. It's weird there, it has loads of furrows running across all the holes at right angles.
Never played there, but there's a few courses around with shallow furrows across the fairways. I believe it is a legacy of WW2 when some golf courses were turned over to vegetable production.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Never played there, but there's a few courses around with shallow furrows across the fairways. I believe it is a legacy of WW2 when some golf courses were turned over to vegetable production.
That's interesting. It does look like the course was built on a farm because the furrows are all in squares, but the holes just across them at odd angles.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...7de17a!8m2!3d51.5767288!4d-0.6741899?hl=en-GB
You can see the hedges marking out rectangles, but zoom in and you see most of the golf holes are at kind of 45° angle to it. Very unusual.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's interesting. It does look like the course was built on a farm because the furrows are all in squares, but the holes just across them at odd angles.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...7de17a!8m2!3d51.5767288!4d-0.6741899?hl=en-GB
You can see the hedges marking out rectangles, but zoom in and you see most of the golf holes are at kind of 45° angle to it. Very unusual.
Are they medieval 'Ridge & Furrow' (Rigs & Furs) cultivated areas?
220px-Ridge_and_furrow.JPG

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looking at the website it looks like 2 clubs using the same course

Yes one 18 hole course 2 clubs.

Farnham Park is the original pay and play club but it had a face lift and a name change in recent years to South Bucks. A second club was formed by this name presumably due to a disagreement on how the new club should be run.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes one 18 hole course 2 clubs.

Farnham Park is the original pay and play club but it had a face lift and a name change in recent years to South Bucks. A second club was formed by this name presumably due to a disagreement on how the new club should be run.
Never heard of that before. I wonder how they manage that if both clubs want their comps on a Saturday. ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Wimbledon Common & London Scottish play over the same course from different starting points & different clubhouses.

Good point well made. Both clubs has booked tee times at the weekends (you could roll on and play and alternate that the respective first holes with players starting their rounds during the week) which meant that the last group got off as the first group got round. In principal a good idea but times when it didn't work in practice