Ball in hazard that I didn't know was a hazard

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Played a medal last week. Hit a drive on the eight that looked out of bounds, however, it 'opens up' a bit where i hit it, so it was possibly still in play. Played a provisional, but played it with an iron cos I disnt want a cricket score.

My question is, as the original tee shot went a lot further than my second tee shot, would I have to walk the extra yards to check if my original ball was in play before going back to my provo ball, or could i play my provo ball before looking for my original tee shot? (It wasnt in, and i took a nine in the end!)

You can play your prov ball until you get to where the first one was, even if it was a few shots. If you then find your first one then you carry on with that...your second shot.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
You wouldn't have to go forward to check your original ball. You could play your provisional ball as it was not nearer the hole than where the original ball was likely to be. If you then found the original ball in bounds you would play it and abandon the provisional. If the original ball was out of bounds, your provisional ball would be in play for your 5th shot.