The "Shouters"

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tiger could not be helped but be put off, he was on his downswing. It doesn't matter what zone you are in, that was off putting. I was amazed his ball ended up so well, it could have been awful.

Some of the backing away, Monty was mentioned, is quite pathetic but Sundays example can not be put in the same category.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I agree with the OP, but in reality with hundreds of people round the tee and maybe over a thousand around some greens - it would be very difficult to police this.

Remember the marshalls who are on course are volunteers. They are not trained security who can identify and remove people from the event.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Shouters are getting a bad rap at the moment because they are a victimised minority by a holier than thou bunch of traditionalists. Look at football or rugby. Its shouters, chanters, booers, cheerers non stop. And the game goes on quite fine. The players dont stand and glower at a spectator because the were shouting as they played a pass. Golf could be the same. The Palestine guy woundt even have been heard yesterday if everyone else was making enough noise. Better atmosphere. Less perception of it being an exclusive game for stuck up fuddy duddies. More fun and attractive for everybody. Attract more people to enjoy watching and playing the game. MASHED POTATO !

But what about the shouters who shouted at the original shouter?

Do they become a sub-division of the shouters, or do we invent an new name for them? Maybe we make a new name up for the shouting at the shouters "boys"....or girls, or do we make them gender neutral?

I'm lost.

P.S. Apologies - I'M LOST!!!!!!!!!!

Lwatson-jones

Assistant Pro
Visit site
But what about the shouters who shouted at the original shouter?

Do they become a sub-division of the shouters, or do we invent an new name for them? Maybe we make a new name up for the shouting at the shouters "boys"....or girls, or do we make them gender neutral?

I'm lost.

P.S. Apologies - I'M LOST!!!!!!!!!!

The can be easily made "gender something", with a very sharp knife!!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Shouters are getting a bad rap at the moment because they are a victimised minority by a holier than thou bunch of traditionalists. Look at football or rugby. Its shouters, chanters, booers, cheerers non stop. And the game goes on quite fine. The players dont stand and glower at a spectator because the were shouting as they played a pass. Golf could be the same. The Palestine guy woundt even have been heard yesterday if everyone else was making enough noise. Better atmosphere. Less perception of it being an exclusive game for stuck up fuddy duddies. More fun and attractive for everybody. Attract more people to enjoy watching and playing the game. MASHED POTATO !

No? When a spectator shouts out something racist or vile about the player, the players wife, children family?

And I think ALL players get well P'd off if there is an idiot in the crowd with a whistle - an idiot who blows it at just the point when...and one or more players stop as they think the ref has blown his whistle?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk

That makes no sense. Rugy/Football etc are games played at varying pace and players react to what is happening around them, against a backdrop of noise

Sports like golf/snooker start from a stationary position where the player is trying to concentrate

There are exceptions, but the issue here was the sudden shout at the wrong time being a destraction....not sure how this is "fuddy duddy."

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
And I think ALL players get well P'd off if there is an idiot in the crowd with a whistle - an idiot who blows it at just the point when...and one or more players stop as they think the ref has blown his whistle?

That happened in the Leatherhead v Wimbledon F.A.Cup 2nd round tie in December 1976. Some Wimbledon fan behind the goal blew a whistle and everyone stopped except one striker who half-heartedly put the ball in the net. The goal counted and it all went mental.

I was sitting in the stand behind Jack Charlton whose Middlesbrough team were due to play the winners and he was really going off on one about it.